5 Things to Know This Week- Feb. 8, 2017
• South Fayette Township Parks & Recreation will hold a Mother-Daughter Paint Party at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 10, at its municipal building on Millers Run Road. All ages welcome (adults and children). To register, call 412-221-8700 ext. 17 or visit http://www.southfayettepa.com/recreation.
• Mt. Lebanon and Dormont fire departments will hold a Quarter Auction Fundraiser for Relay For Life of Mt. Lebanon on Feb. 11 at the Dormont Recreation Center (upstairs of the pool house). During a Quarter Auction, people “bid” to win a product or prize. An entry “fee” donation of $15 includes one numbered paddle, drinks (soda, water, coffee or tea) and a dessert buffet. BYOB and snacks for your table. Additional paddles ($5 each) and raffle tickets will be available for purchase. Bring quarters to bid (3 rolls recommended). All proceeds benefit the American Cancer Society. For more information, email QuartersForACure@gmail.com.
• Allegheny Health Network (AHN) marks Heart Month and the 14th year of the American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women movement with special events. At Jefferson Hospital, a Cupcake War competition and bake sale will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 10, outside J Café. Proceeds will go toward Jefferson’s 2017 AHA Heart Walk team.
• The 15th Annual Washington County Farm Bureau Food Drive will run through March 31. Food that is collected will benefit the local food pantries (i.e. everything collected in the McDonald area will go to the McDonald Food Pantry). Local food drive box locations include: Canonsburg Food Pantry - Frank Sarris Library, Canonsburg Dollar General, Bahr Hardware, North Strabane Township Building, Washington Health Systems–Cecil Office; Finleyville Food Pantry - Dollar General; Peters Township Food Pantry - Peters Township Public Library, Goodwill, Route 19; Giant Eagle, Donaldson’s Crossroads; Heisler’s Market, Sun Chevrolet. For more information, contact, Heidi Hoffman, donor coordinator relations for the Greater Washington County Food Bank, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Chatham University’s Rachel Carson Healthy Planet Award will be awarded to one student who embodies the spirit of Rachel Carson in his or her dedication to sustainability and community development. Winners of the Rachel Carson Healthy Planet Award will receive a special edition of Carson’s book “Silent Spring,” a certificate of achievement, a $5,000 merit scholarship to attend Chatham University, and an invitation (with discounted price) to Chatham’s Sustainable Leadership Academy, scheduled for July 30-Aug. 5. Deadline for nominations is April 2. For more information about the award or to nominate a student, visit http://www.chatham.edu/rachel-carson-award.