Peters hires superintendent search firmPublished Jan 15, 2013 at 1:56 pm (Updated Jan 15, 2013 at 2:05 pm)
Joseph Dimperio is serving as acting superintendent of the Peters Township School District.
The Peters Township School Board voted unanimously Jan. 14 to appoint the Chester County Intermediate Unit to head the search for a new superintendent.
According to a press release from the district, the search should be completed no later than July 1, and the fee is not to exceed $21,000.
Board member David Hvizdos said the IU is ready “to begin the process in earnest.”
The Chester IU is expected to be in the district very quickly to meet with district employees and members of the community.
Former Superintendent Nina Zetty resigned to take a similar position, but at a higher salary, in the Gateway School District in December.
The Chester proposal was one of five submitted to the district.
Joseph Dimperio is serving as acting superintendent, at a salary of $500 a day without benefits.
Joseph O’Brien, executive director of the Chester County IU, will oversee the process. Under the terms of the agreement, O’Brien will work with Charles Mahoney, executive director of the local IU 1.
Chester IU has overseen other searches, however, none appear to be local.
“This team of Dr. O’Brien and Mr. Mahoney is a great combination for Peters Township,” Dimperio said. “We gain the expertise that Dr. O’Brien brings from across the state and through his national searches, and add the extensive knowledge of local school systems that Mr. Mahoney has to offer.”
In other action, the board:
• Accepted the resignation of Christopher Shute, assistant principal at Bower Hill Elementary, effective Feb. 15. He accepted a position of principal in the North Allegheny School District.
• Accepted the resignations of two high school custodians, Justin Skrbin, effective Jan. 11, and Michael Maloney, effective Jan. 31.
• Accepted the resignations of Michael Maloney, high school drama tech, effective Nov. 12, and Chris Lebakken as girls head coach basketball, effective Dec. 22.
• Approved Ed Matthews, effective Dec. 23, from assistant girls basketball coach to head coach girls basketball.
• The board will hold its regular meeting at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 22, moved from Jan. 21 due to Martin Luther King Day.