South Hills Aglow will meet at 7 p.m. Jan. 21 at South Hills Assembly, Bethel Park. Pastor Peter Giacalone will be guest speaker. Pastor Pete serves at Rainbow Assembly and co-hosts at Cornerstone TV.
• Travel to the Caribbean, 7 p.m. Jan. 17. Learn about accommodations, dining, golf.
• Winning teens over at home and in school with Patricia Walton, 10 a.m. Jan. 19.
• Learn to use ZINO, a downloadable magazine service, 10 a.m. Jan. 21.
• American Girl Book Club, 7 p.m. Jan. 21.
• Delving Into the Joke Mine with Comedian/Author Mike Buzzelli, 7 p.m. Jan. 23. Mike will discuss his book, “Below Average Genius.”
• SAT/ACT Comparison Presentation by Jane Robbins, 7 p.m. Jan. 24.
• Preschool Storytime, 1 p.m. Jan. 17. Stories, songs and crafts.
• Understanding and Managing Aggressive Dog Behavior course offered by Chartiers Custom Pet Cremation, 1 p.m. Jan. 19. Call 412-220-7800 to register.
• Monthly Book Discussion, 7 p.m. Jan. 14. Read “The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank” by Erma Bombeck.
• Jewelry Making, ages 10-17, 4:30 p.m. Jan. 17.
• Stuffed Animal Sleepover, 6 p.m. Jan. 22.
• RiverQuest Exploring Marcellus Shale River Tales, adults, 7 p.m. Jan. 16.
• Genealogy society, 1 p.m. Jan. 21.
• Spanish Literature/Conversation, 10 a.m. Mondays.
• English Conversation, 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
• Teen Culinary Creations, 11 a.m. Jan. 19. Make delicious treats. Supplies provided.
• Teen Candy Bar Game, 1 p.m. Jan. 20. Solve clues, win candy.
• Getting the Most Out of E-Mail, 7 p.m. Jan. 22. Cost is $5.
• Movie Trivia Challenge, teens, 5:30 p.m. Jan. 23.
• Teen Poetry Workshop, 3:30 p.m. Jan. 24.
• Drawings for Online Teen Book Club, Jan. 19, 26. Winners will receive a $10 gift card to Vocelli’s Pizza or Target.
• Chess Club, K-eighth grade, beginners and experienced, 6:30 p.m. Jan. 21 & 28.
Upper St. Clair
• Men’s Book Group meets at 7 p.m. the first Tuesday of the month.
• Mystery Readers Group meet at 10 a.m. the third Thursday.
• Out of this World meets at 7 p.m. the third Wednesday. • Yarn Works meets at 10 a.m. the second and fourth Saturday.
Center Church Christian Preschool, McMurray, will begin accepting registrations for the 2013-14 school year on Jan. 31. An open house is set from 6-8 p.m. Staff members will be on hand to answer questions.
Programs offer creative activities, language arts, math and reading readiness and Christian teachings and values. Extended day classes are available.
For details or to schedule a tour, call 724-263-2385.
The Pie Place, Upper St. Clair, will celebrate National Pie Day with its “3rd Annual Random Acts of Pie-ness” on Jan. 26. Every 10th paying customer over 18 years of age will receive a free pie from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Also on that day, lattice-top pie-making classes are planned. The 10 a.m. class is for ages 4-10, the 11 a.m. class is for all ages.
Cost is $20 including an apple pie to take home and bake.
To register, call 412-835-4410.
Super Bowl fare
Carnegie U.M. Church is taking orders for pierogies/$8 a dozen and cabbage rolls for $22/dozen for the Super Bowl on Feb. 3. Place orders at 412-221-7709 by Jan. 28. Pick up 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 2.
Washington County Parks needs volunteers to help reconstruct part of the Hemlock Trail in Mingo Creek Park. Volunteer Day will begin at 11 a.m. Feb. 9. Meet at the Hemlock Trail parking area. Bring tools such as handsaws, pruners and loppers for trimming trees.
To register, call 724-228-6867.
The 2013 Mid-Atlantic Fruit/Vegetable Convention will be held July 29-31 at the Hershey Lodge and Convention Center. More than 2,000 fruit, vegetable, berry growers and other industry persons are expected. Workshops will include topics such as vegetable grafting, soil borne vegetable pathogens and developing a farm food safety plan. For details, visit www.mafvc.org.
Phipps Conservatory offers a bounty of benefits to its members. Activities include:
• Spa Night, Jan. 16. Sample body care products, learn relaxation techniques, enjoy healthy hors d’oeuvres and visit the Tropical Forest Conservatory.
• Valentine’s Day candlelight dinner, Feb. 14. Starts at $85/person.
• Member Night, March 9. Complimentary hors d’oeuvres. Get the first look at the Spring Flower Show.
For details on the membership package, call 412-622-6915.
Phipps Conservatory has opened its orchid and tropical bonsai show. The show ends on Feb. 24. Orchids in pink, yellow and white planted in garden beds, hanging baskets, decorative planters and others in cascading tree-like forms will be featured. Practical gardening tips will be available. Japanese bonsai will also be on display.
Hours are 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. daily and until 10 p.m. Fridays. Admission is $15/adults, $14/seniors-students and $11 for ages 2-18.
Fairy tale tour
David Motak and Jack Samuels of the Cracow Creche Workshop, Pittsburgh, will host a 2013 Royal Wedding Tour to Poland June 21-July 2. Coordinated by Sullivan’s Custom Tours, L.L. C. Every four years more than 3,000 costumed participants help to celebrate the wedding of Polish Princess Jadwiga Jagiellonka to Duke George of Landshut, Bavaria.
The tour will include a stop at Czestochowa, the Shrine of the Black Madonna before journeying into the romantic past in Krakow. Landmarks and historic works of master painter Jan Matejko, a medieval banquet, Prague and Cesky Krumlov in the Czech Republic are included.
For details, call Donna Sullivan at 713-291-3492.
Animal Friends bowling event, “Alley Up” is set for Jan. 27 at Legacy Lanes in the South Hills. Alley up at noon or 3 p.m. Ticket includes bowling, shoe rental, pizza, beverage and free T-shirt.
Cost is $25 per person or $125 for a lane of six. To register, call 412-847-7055.
Domestic Violence Services provides awareness training for groups or businesses. The program will be tailored to fit individual needs. To learn more about this dangerous crime or to schedule a training session, call 724-223-5477.
Home Instead Senior Care Center in Bethel Park will offer Alzheimer’s CARE training workshops at 6:30 p.m. Jan. 22, Feb. 26 and March 26. Caregivers and family members will learn how to manage behaviors, encourage engagement and care for themselves while caring for a loved one. RSVP to 412-595-7554.
Reaching life’s goals
The Musuneggi Financial Group and Mary Grace Musuneggi, president and CEO, will provide skills to help you survive financially while unemployed. Discover how to Get Up, Get Dressed and Get Going at 7 p.m. Jan. 28 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. No cost. To register, call 412-341-2888.
Pet Therapy Training classes will be held at 6:30 p.m. Mondays, Feb. 4-25 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. The instructor is certified with AKC’s Canine Good Citizens and Therapy Dogs International. To register, call 412-835-6630.
College planning professional Mike Giffin will discuss how to match financial abilities with college choices at 6:30 p.m. Jan. 23 at Mt. Lebanon Rec Center.
Parents of high school students are welcome to attend this free program. To register, call 1-888-279-8044.
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
USC dominates Almanac Elite Eleven All-Star list (469)
South Fayette faces Imhotep Charter in state final (218)
Depth & talent promises a fun season for BP boys (207)
Dance class gets amputees back on their feet (163)
Kiernan named Almanac MVP (160)
Kiernan named Almanac MVP (212)
New special ed director for Lebo schools (124)
Higher school taxes possible in USC (104)
Mining at former Mayview site denied (83)
Peters adopts new comprehensive plan (68)
USC questions new progress ratings (1)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)