Across the South Hills
The Bethel Park Lions Club will be awarding the $4,000 George Meyer Scholarship to a deserving Bethel Park High School senior this spring.
Applications are available at the high school counseling office.
Borough offices will be closed Jan. 21 for Martin Luther King Day.
• Town Park Pavilion reservations will be available at 8 a.m. Feb. 1 in the borough office.
Pampered Chef products will be available from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Jan. 24-25 in the hospital’s main lobby. Proceeds benefit Canonsburg Women’s Auxiliary.
Mark your calendars for the 12th annual Burgh’s 10K/5K and two-mile fun walk at Cecil Park that will be held April 21.
The annual Green Tree snowman contest is underway with entries accepted until March 17. Enter as many different snowmen as possible either electronically or by photograph through the mail. Photographs will not be returned. Winners will receive a $100 gift card. Contact the municipal office for additional details.
The Macdonald Pipe Band of Pittsburgh is gearing up for its annual Burns Supper, which will be held Jan. 19 at the Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Church in Mt. Lebanon.
The event, which pays tribute to Robert Burns, the most celebrated Scottish poet of all time, supports the nonprofit Macdonald Pipe Band.
Doors open at 5 p.m. The dinner follows at 6. BYOB.
The event includes Scottish food, poetry, Highland costumes, piping music, Highland dancing a Scottish Marketplace offering a wide variety of Celtic merchandise from several local retailers. There will also be a raffle featuring some items directly from Scotland.
For more information on tickets, purchasing an ad in the program, donating an item for the Chinese auction, or sending a monetary donation, visit www.macdonaldpipeband.net.
• One of the reasons given for a delay in picking up recyclables after New Year’s was the “excessive number of holiday champagne bottles.”
Volunteers are needed for the annual Princess Ball on Feb. 8 and the Bunny Hop on March 23.
Call Lisa at the Peters Township Parks and Recreation Center at 724-942-5000 for details and to sign-up.
Drop-off locations for live Christmas trees will continue through Jan. 25 at two Washington County parks.
Trees can be dropped off from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. at the boat trailer parking lot at Cross Creek County Park, located off Route 50 near Rea, or the Shelter 1 parking lot at Mingo Creek Park in Nottingham Township.
Both drop-off locations should be clearly marked. The Washington County Planning Commission first tried a Christmas tree recycling program in the mid-2000s and wanted to try the program again this year.
Jason Theakston of the planning commission said the recycled trees will be used to improve the fish habitat at Cross Creek County Park and Avella.
• State Rep. Brandon Neuman, D-Washington, has announced final plans for his STEM Initiative Forum that will bring together business leaders and educators to develop strategies to better prepare local students for good-paying, high-demand science and technology jobs in the region.
The STEM – science, technology, engineering and mathematics – forum will be held from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Jan. 24 at Pony Baseball Headquarters, 1951 Pony Place, Washington.
Joining Neuman will be representatives from Chevron, Shell and Westinghouse, along with education experts from California University of Pennsylvania, the Carnegie Science Center and Junior Achievement.
“The forum will be an excellent way to discuss how to strengthen local programs that prepare students for careers in science and technology,” Neuman said.
Across the South Hills
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Organization helping families get “Off the Floor” (7)
Lebo, PT battle for playoff position (5)
Pinwheels for peace dot Bethel Park elementary schools (5)
Delta Zeta women celebrate 50 years (4)
Market District Express opens in Peters Township (133)
Scheuble to fill vacant BP school board seat (104)
Check presentation (37)
SF students participate in Apple, Google’s Hour of Code (23)
USC questions new progress ratings (1)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)