Women’s Power Lunch will meet at 1 p.m. Feb. 1 at Merante Brothers Market. Susan J. Ansell, CPA, will talk about the Important Tax Advantages for 2012. To register, e-mail email@example.com. Cost is $25.
Countryside Book Club will meet at noon Feb. 5 at the home of Mary Helen Burroughs. Joann Turnbull will review “Emily Alone” by Stewart O’Nan.
Green Tree Woman’s Civic Club will award its annual scholarship. Applications are available at the Green Tree Municipal office, the library, and the civic club’s web page, www.greentreeboro.com. The scholarship is available to any resident who has completed one academic year of college. Completed applications must be received by April 1.
South Park women
South Park Women’s Club will meet at 7 p.m. Feb. 18 at the South Park Community Center. The evening includes refreshments, club and community news and 50/50 raffle. For details, call Cindy Carfagno at 412-831-1913.
• Bones for Life, all day Feb. 1-4.
To register, call 412-276-3456.
• Career Building tools in the reference center database, 7 p.m. Feb. 6.
• Mother Goose, 10 and 11 a.m. Wednesdays beginning Feb. 6.
• Little Hands Art, ages 3-6, 6 p.m. Thursdays beginning Feb. 7.
• Babies/Books, 10 a.m. Feb. 1. Stories, songs, finger plays.
• Home School/Cyber School Book Club, grades four-six, 2:30 p.m. Feb. 5.
• Toddler Times, 10 a.m. Feb. 6.
• Book discussion, 7 p.m. Feb. 11. Read “The Founding Fathers” by Joseph J. Ellis.
• Library will be closed Feb. 18 for Presidents’ Day.
• Storytime resumes in February. Register now.
• Read Mary Ann Shaffer’s “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society” for February’s book discussion.
• Frayed Knots meet at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays. Bring knitting or any stitchery project. Call 724-745-1308.
• Book Donation Drop-off Day, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Feb. 2. Cookbooks, fiction, children’s books and gently-used CDs and DVDs will be appreciated. Call 412-921-9292.
• Wii Wednesdays, 3:30 p.m., middle/high school students.
• Italian Conversation, 10 a.m. Thursdays.
• Sahaja Meditation, 7:30 p.m. Feb. 4, 11, 25. Free.
• League of Women Voters lunchtime series, 12:30 p.m. Feb. 7. Bring lunch and learn about immigration issues.
• Backyard Bird Count with photographer Doris Dumrauf, 2 p.m. Feb. 9.
• After Hours Movie Night, all ages, 5 p.m. Feb. 1. Watch “Taken 2.”
• Teen Book Club, noon Feb. 2, Discuss “Fault in Our Stars” by John Green.
• SPA Science, ages 2-5 with adult, 2 p.m. Thursdays Feb. 7-28 or 9:30 a.m. Saturdays, Feb. 2-23.
• Magic Tree House Book Club, grades two-four, 10 a.m. Feb. 2. Discuss “Abe Lincoln at Last.”
• Quilting 101 & Beyond, 6 p.m. Feb. 5.
• Make a valentine and craft, ages 3-12, 3 p.m. Feb. 9.
• Valentine’s Day party, all ages, 1:30 p.m. Feb. 9.
• Book Lust Club, adults, 7 p.m. the third Thursday of every month. Read “The Keeper of Lost Causes” by Jussi Adler-Olsen for Feb. 21.
• Knitting Club, teens/adults, 11 a.m. two Saturdays each month.
Upper St. Clair
• Metaphysics: What is Reality?, 7 p.m. Feb. 11.
• Valentine’s Day Tea, 1 p.m. Feb. 14. Bring tea cups. Treats will be provided.
PetSmart Charities will sponsor a “Beat the Heat” promotion to help reduce the number of homeless cats born this spring. Animal Friends will spay female cats for a special rate of $20 during February. Kittens can be spayed as young at 8 to 10 weeks old, before the first heat cycle is recommended. For details, call 412-847-7004.
Trax Farms will hold its winter wine festival noon to 5 p.m. Feb. 2, 3. Award-winning wineries will showcase their very best.
Tickets are $15/advance purchase and $20 at the door. For details, call 412-835-3246 ext. 114.
Taste of Trax
Trax Farms specialties will be available for sampling 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 9. Enjoy homemade nut breads and fudge, baked goods, mulled wines.
Wine and Chocolate
Join Mary Grace Musuneggi and Rosalind Frazier-Francis for Wine, Chocolate, Conversation and Networking for a program, “Surviving Valentine’s Day” at 6 p.m. Feb. 5 in North Strabane Township. To register, call 412-341-2888.
Pittsburgh Glass Center will open a new exhibit on Feb. 1 featuring 15 original works of glass artist Eunsuh Choi.
A reception for “Consciousness” will be held 6 to 9 p.m. The display will be open through June 16.
Eunsuh’s art has been featured in magazines such as Sculpture, Art Buzz and Niche.
The following events are planned at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair:
• English Lute Music/Songs of Love, 7:30 p.m. Feb. 15. Celebrate Valentine’s Day with Elizabethan love songs.
• Date Night with spouse or special someone, 6:30 p.m. Feb. 15.
For details, call 412-835-6630.
State Rep. Brandon Neuman will host free tax preparation assistance at his office at 1825 Washington Road in North Strabane Township. Residents in the 48th Legislative District can receive assistance in preparing state tax forms only starting Feb. 6 and continuing every Wednesday in February.
Help will also be available to complete forms for the state Property Tax/Rent Rebate Program. To schedule an appointment, call 724-743-7602.
Washington County Parks will offer an intro to fly tying program Feb. 5, 12 and 19 in Room 705, Courthouse Square. Learn to create basic fish-catching flies using feathers, fur, thread and hooks.
Materials fee is $10. To register, call 724-228-6867.
Leah Lizarondo Shannon of The Brazen Kitchen will present Kickstart Your Health at 10 a.m. Feb. 2 for Saturdays at the Pittsburgh Public Market in the Strip District.
For details, call 412-563-8800.
Monongahela Valley Hospital’s Center for Diabetes/Endocrinology will sponsor a healthy eating supermarket tour at 1 p.m. Feb. 6 at Healthy Directions-Giant Eagle, Finleyville.
Learn to choose foods to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Call 724-258-1483 to register.
Monongahela Valley Hospital sponsors the following programs:
• Baby Care class, 6:30 p.m. Feb. 4. Call 724-258-2229 ext. 25.
• Managing Diabetes, 8:30 a.m. Feb. 4-7. Call 724-258-1483.
• Smoking cessation classes, 6 p.m. Feb. 5, 12, 19, 26 at the Holiday Inn, Bentleyville. Call 724-483-6300.
• Bone Density Screening at Healthy Directions/Finleyville Giant Eagle, 1-3 p.m. Feb. 6.
For details, call 724-258-1234.
Peters Township Rec Center will offer Reiki, a healing method for stress, emotional issues and even cancer with instructor Lois Reich at 3 p.m. Feb. 17. Fee is $15/member and $23/nonmember. Call 724-942-5000 to register by Feb. 14.
Tracey Eakin will offer an Intro to Plant-based Living, Cooking Demo and Food Samples at 7 p.m. Feb. 7 at Peters Township Rec. Center. Learn about effective alternatives to a lifetime of drugs, repeated surgeries and side effects.
Member fee/$25; nonmember fee/$38.
To register, call 724-941-4180.
Learn to improve your ability to cope with stress, anxiety and self-doubt through hypnosis at 3 p.m. Feb. 10 with Lois Reich at the Peters Township Rec. Center. Fee is $15/member and $23/nonmember. To register, call 724-941-4180.
Washington County Parks will offer a Needle and Yarn workshop at 10 a.m. Feb. 13 at Citizens Library, Washington. A pearl scarf pin with a valentine theme will be made. Supplies will be provided. Bring scissors. Refreshments provided. Fee is $3. Call 724-228-6867 to register.
Training and certification in Pro Tools is available through California University of PA. Musicians and recording engineers can learn to use digital tools as follows:
• June 10-14, Pro Tools 101, an introduction.
• June 17-21, Pro Tools 110, production.
Cost is $375 for each session. For details, call 724-938-4878.
Todd Stainbrook will sponsor a First Time Homebuyers seminar at 7 p.m. Feb. 28 at the Bethel Park Public Library.
Pittsburgh Glass Center offers a full line-up of classes in its state-of-the-art studios. Instruction is available in all levels. For details, call 412-365-2145.
Carnegie Science Center will sponsor the following programs:
• Mystery of the Nile, 10:15 a.m. in Spanish on Wednesdays and French on Tuesdays. Bring students to the language they are studying. Cost is $7 per person.
• Scavenger Hunt in Spanish and French for students and teachers and planetarium show. Cost is $14 per student, $7/required adult and $14/additional adult. To register, call 412-237-1657.
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
South Fayette headed to Hershey (166)
Lawrence resident sentenced to 6-12 years for sex crimes (152)
Paint-your-own pottery: a fun indoor activity (138)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (137)
Market District Express opens in Peters Township (106)
USC questions new progress ratings (1)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)