Youth ministry seeks youth for Passion Play MusicalPublished Jan 30, 2013 at 12:01 am (Updated Jan 25, 2013 at 1:34 pm)
The Hamilton Presbyterian Youth Group, “The God Squad,” is looking to grow its members.
Open to all teens in grades 6-12 looking to have fun, meet other teens with the same struggles and questions, and help others while helping yourself. Church membership is not required.
The group meets from 6:30-8 p.m. Sundays, September through May. Meetings vary from week to week and include snacks or food, a short Bible study, videos, games and conversation. Teens learn to further give of themselves by taking part in different mission projects, and helping in local soup kitchens and thrift stores. The highlight for many members has been their experience with the one-week Biannual Mission trip, coming up again in the summer of 2014. Other offsite activities include weekend retreats in the spring and fall. A teen choir is also available through Hamilton’s music program.
“The God Squad” is always looks for outstanding adult leadership, both employed and volunteer.
Call the church office for more information at 412-884-2722.
Peters Creek Baptist Church, South Park, will offer the following:
• Women’s daytime Bible study, 9:30-11 a.m. Tuesdays in Room 203. Explore the book “James: Mercy Triumphs” by Beth Moore. The study will include video sessions and small group discussions. Childcare is available but all children must be preregistered.
• Women’s evening Bible study, 7-8:30 p.m. in Room 204. Explore the book “Beloved Disciple” by Beth Moore. The study guide will be available for purchase at the meeting. No childcare is available at evening meetings.
• Men’s Bible study, 7:30-8:30 p.m. in Room 100. The topic is “Battling Unbelief.”
• Wednesday evening groups begin with dinner from 5:30-6:30 p.m. followed by a group meeting from 6:30-7:30. Classes are offered for infant through kindergarten, elementary, middle school, high school and adults.
For details, call 412-833-6111 or visit www.peterscreekbaptist.com.
South Hills Church of the Nazarene, Bethel Park, announces the winter session of its DivorceCare support group.
Meetings will be held 7-9 p.m. Thursdays (with the exception of March 28). Meetings run through April 18.
DivorceCare features a video prior to discussion with nationally recognized experts on divorce and recovery topics. Seminar sessions include “Facing My Anger,” “Facing My Loneliness,” “Depression,” “New Relationships,” “KidCare” and “Forgiveness.”
Cost is $20, which includes a workbook. Limited scholarships are available. Babysitting will not be available. For details, call 412-831-6333.
First Bethel United Methodist Church, Bethel Park, offers a Bible study of the Psalms at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays.
Jack Aupperle will lead a discussion entitled “The Psalms and This Life of Ours.” Explore the theme of worship, including its purpose, it characteristics and its impact. Each session will be self-contained and will include a presentation followed by discussion and sharing of perspectives. For information, call 412-835-0700.
Christ U.M. Church, Bethel Park, plans the following events:
• Women’s Study: Unglued with Lisa TerKeurst, 7 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Invitation to the Old Testament, 7 p.m. Wednesdays.
• Open Door: New worship at 7 p.m. Wednesdays.
• Women’s Bible Study: Overcoming Challenges, 7 p.m. Thursdays, through Feb. 7. Explore the Old Testament book of Nehemiah.
Canonsburg U.P. Church will hold enrollment for its New Members Class at 9:45 a.m. beginning Feb. 3. If interested, call 724-745-0800 or email email@example.com.
The Bible Chapel, McMurray, will offer the following:
• Movie – Attend a showing of the movie “Amazing Grace,” sponsored by Sage Works Older Adult Ministry, at 2:30 p.m. Feb. 10 in the Worship Center. Light refreshments will be served. Childcare is not provided but children are welcome to attend.
• Night of Worship, 7-9 p.m. Feb. 24. Doors open at 6.
• Bible Institute, 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesdays. Topics include Genesis, Apologetics and Becoming a Contagious Christian.
• “Grounded,” a new sermon series, at the South Hills, Robinson and Washington campuses. This six-week series is meant to motivate, inspire and call people to discipleship.
• New classes for the whole family, including Bible Institute for adults and Revi Club for kids, 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesdays. Dinner will be served at 5 p.m. Cost is $5/person or $20/family.
For details, visit www.biblechapel.org.
• VITA Income Tax Preparation, 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Feb.4-April 15 at the South Hills campus, Room 180. Free to seniors and low-income individuals. Taxes prepared on a first come, first served basis by local volunteers Monday-Friday. VITA does not accept phone calls or emails. No numbers will be given out past 2 p.m.
St. Thomas More Church, Bethel Park, holds weekly adoration on Wednesdays. The Holy Eucharist is exposed for adoration following the 11:30 a.m. Mass.
The Rosary is recited following Mass and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy is recited at 3 p.m.
For more information, call 412-833-0031.
Hamilton Presbyterian Church, Bethel Park, will move its weekly contemporary service to 6 p.m. on Saturdays.
• Adult classes begin at 7 p.m. Wednesdays.
• GriefShare, 10 a.m. or 7 p.m. Thursdays. Cost is $15.
For more information, call 412-884-2722. Christian Mothers
St. Valentine Christian Mothers, Bethel Park, is sponsoring a morning of prayer and spiritual talk with Fr. Angelus Shaughnessay, national director for Christian Mothers, 10 a.m. Feb. 13. Mass will be celebrated at noon. A lite lunch will be offered in Frawley Hall. Reservations required for lunch only. Call 412-655-3859.
Beth Israel’s religious school in Washington will hold classes for ages 5-12 at 10 a.m. Sundays, beginning in February. Jewish history and culture, holidays, prayer and Hebrew will be taught. To enroll, call 724-225-7080.
The Youth Ministry at St. Thomas More Church, Upper St. Clair, is looking for youth in grades 6-12 who enjoy singing, reading and acting, to perform in its annual Passion Play Musical.
Practices begin in February. Performances will be held at 1:30 and 7 p.m. March 25.
If interested in becoming a part of this group, contact Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the list.
Mt. Lebanon U.P. Church will host Family Fusion Wednesdays through March 20. A family dinner begins at 6 p.m. Adults and teens pay $5; ages 3-12 pay $3. Spiritual Growth groups gather at 7 p.m.
Chabad of the South Hills, Mt. Lebanon, will offer Living With Integrity, a new six-week course from the Rohr Jewish Learning Institute that explores everyday ethical dilemmas and offers tools to deal with them. Classes are held at 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Jan. 30, or 10:15 a.m. Sundays beginning Feb. 3.
Call 412-344-2424 or visit www.chabadsh.com for registration and information.