Getting Together – Feb. 6
Bethel Park Women’s Business Network will meet at 6 p.m. Feb. 7 at Al’s Cafe. WBN provides personal and professional resources to advance the presence of aspiring and successful business women. For details, call Tamra McKenna at 412-885-5162.
Members of Alpha Omega Master chapter, Beta Sigma Phi, will meet Feb. 7 at the home of Carole Legleitner. Valentine’s Day will be celebrated Feb. 11 with a brunch at the River’s Casino.
Xi Zeta Tau
Members of Xi Zeta Tau will meet at 7 p.m. Feb. 7 at Hibachi Japan and at 7 p.m. Feb. 21 at the home of Brook Cashman for Hearts & Hands. For details, call 412-851-9654.
Laureate Zeta Iota will hold its annual valentine’s dinner Feb. 10 at Calabria’s in Castle Shannon. Christmas and greeting cards will be collected at the regular meeting on Feb. 21 in the Cochran Hall clubroom, Green Tree.
Western Pennsylvania Lensshooters will meet at 7 p.m. Feb. 13 at Absolute Images, Washington. Andi Kubacki will offer a tour and show how film and digital images are processed into prints. For details, call 724-747-1300.
POWER of Southpointe will hold a retreat at Nemacolin Woodlands April 12-14.
Professional Organization for Women’s Executive Resources, POWER’s mission is to provide a dynamic relationship building base for successful, professional women. POWER celebrates diversity and recognizes the importance of building strong, effective women leaders. Events focus on exchanging ideas, learning forums and connections that will advance personal and business goals. For details, visit www.powerofsouthpointe.org.
Hair Peace Empowerment Group provides support for women with cancer. The group will meet at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 20 at the Community Life Center at Ingomar Methodist Church. Hair Peace Charities raises money to help women who are distressed from the aftermath of chemotherapy. Its main purpose is to buy wigs, but help is provided for women through prayer quilts, meals and cards. The 8th annual benefit, Recipe for Hope, is set for Feb. 23 at the Mayernik Center on Camp Horne Road.
For details, email email@example.com.
• Preschool Storytime, 10 and 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Feb. 8. The program will focus on an alphabet letter each week.
• Shoe Re-Do, 6 p.m. Feb. 13. Bring a pair of shoes and make them look new.
• Honey Bee Mine storytime, 7 p.m. Feb. 14. Stories, songs, crafts, refreshments. Call 412-835-2207.
• Computer Basics, 6:30 p.m. Feb. 7.
• AARP Tax-Aide, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 8. Free tax help for taxpayers with low/moderate income, ages 60 and older.
• Cartooning with Karen Hartman, ages 6-12, 1 p.m. Feb. 9.
• Valentine’s Day lecture with Bridgeville historian John Oyler, 7 p.m. Feb. 14.
• Fitness Frenzy, ages 10-17, 4:30 p.m. through Feb. 27. Zumba, Yoga, Kickboxing, Dancing.
• Movie Days, 11 a.m. Feb. 19 and 7 p.m. Feb. 20. Drama starring Ben Affleck and Alan Arkin.
• SAT Math Prep, 5:30 p.m. Feb. 14, 21, 28 and March 7. Fee is $10. Pay $7 before March 2.
• Toddler Wiggle and Dance, 11 a.m. Feb. 15.
• Kids movie, “Brave,” 6 p.m. Feb. 15.
• Organizing Paper Clutter with Jill Yesko, 7 p.m. Feb. 11.
• U.S. Army War College Panel, 7 p.m. Feb. 12. Discuss national security issues.
• International Women’s Conversation Circles, 10 a.m. Feb. 13. Practice the English language.
• Tea with American Girls and parents, 1 p.m. Feb. 9. Doll tea party, craft, stories.
• SAT Prep Workshop, 12:30 p.m. Sundays Feb. 10, 17, 24, March 3. Cost is $175.
• Girls Book Club, grades four-six, 6 p.m. Feb. 11. Read “Mother Daughter Book Club” by Heather Vogel Frederick.
• Tissue Paper Collage/Acrylic Paints, ages 6 1/2-13, 4 p.m. Feb. 12, 19, 26. Cost is $13.
• Conversation Salon, 1 p.m. Feb. 11.
• Book Bingo, K-eighth grade, 7 p.m. Feb. 14.
• The Finishers, 5:30 p.m. Feb. 19. Work on sewing, knitting, crafts.
• Knitting Group, 11 a.m. Feb. 16. All levels
• Red/White Tea, 2 p.m. Feb. 20. Bring your teacup. Free.
Upper St. Clair
• Valentine’s Day Tea, 1 p.m. Feb. 14. Bring tea cups. Treats will be provided.
Baldwin Community U.M. Church Preschool will begin registration on Feb. 20 for the 2013-14 term. Programs are available for ages 18 months to 5 years old. To schedule a tour, call 412-440-0509.
• Trinity Weekday School, early 3’s, 3’s and pre-K, Peters Twp., will hold an open house and registration on Feb. 9 from 9-10:30 a.m. Call 724-941-4771.
St. Bernard School, Mt. Lebanon, is accepting registrations for preschool and kindergarten offering half and full days for 3 and 4 year olds and five day classes for 4 year olds. Call 412-341-5444 for details.
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Pittsburgh welcomes volunteers of all faiths to join hands on a Unity Build Sunday to help others in local communities. For details, call 412-351-0512 ext. 11.
‘Far Away Places’
Washington Symphony Orchestra will present “Far Away Places” at 8 p.m. Feb. 9 at Trinity High School. Selections will include “Himalayan Adventure,” “April in Paris,” and “Hawaii Five-O.” The Washington High School Steel Drum Band will also perform. Tickets will be available at the door or call 724-223-9796.
To join Team Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy at the 2013 Pittsburgh Marathon on May 5, visit www.pittsburghparks.org.
Red Velvet social
Pittsburgh Social Exchange will host its third Red Velvet social at 6 p.m. Feb. 20 at the new Hazlett Theater. Mingle and enjoy hors d’oeuvres. The River City Brass Band will entertain. To RSVP, call 412-265-2315.
Washington County Parks needs volunteers to help reconstruct part of the Hemlock Trail in Mingo Creek Park. Volunteer Day will take place at 11 a.m. Feb. 9 at the Hemlock Trail parking area. A limited number of tools are available. Volunteers may bring handsaws, pruners, loppers. To register, call 724-228-6867.
Bones for Life
Body and movement awareness are beneficial to keeping the mind and brain fit and flexible for life. The Bones for Life program will be held March 1-4 at the Andrew Carnegie Free Library in Carnegie. Hours are 4-8:30 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday and Monday. BFL is based on the Feldenkrais Method teaching the ease and ability for the brain and body to remain vital. For details, call 412-527-4841.
Children’s Hospital will offer the following programs at UPMC South, Bethel Park:
• Babysitting 101, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Feb. 23, March 16, June 1, July 27. Boys/girls ages 11 and older will learn first aid basics, choking rescue techniques, child development and routine daily care. Cost is $35.
• Sibling Rivalry, 7 p.m. Feb. 28. Parents learn strategies to keep peace. Cost is $5.
To register, call 412-692-7105.
The Pie Place, Upper St. Clair, will offer a kids baking class at 10 a.m. Feb. 9. In celebration of Valentine’s Day, ages 4+ will make six “cutie pies.”
Cost is $20. To register, call 412-835-4410.
Capt. Michael Yanchak of the Peters Township Police Department will lead an egg decorating class at noon March 9 in the community room. Yanchak will continue the tradition of psanky, the traditional Ukrainian art of adorning eggs. Cost is $15/resident and $23/nonresident. Register by Feb. 15 at the recreation center. For details, call 724-942-5000.
Pittsburgh Glass Center will offer high school glassblowing classes beginning the first week in February in its state-of-the-art studios. For details, call 412-365-2145.