Mt. Lebanon named certified silver sustainable municipality
Mt. Lebanon is among the first municipalities to become certified through the Southwestern Pennsylvania Sustainable Community Essentials Certification program. The municipality earned a Silver certification for meeting the program’s rigorous performance criteria, which tracks 131 policies and practices that define a sustainable community.
The Sustainable Community Essentials Certification, developed by the non-profit group Sustainable Pittsburgh, is designed for municipalities that are working to save money, conserve resources and serve vibrant communities. It applauds municipalities for demonstrated commitment and sustainability performance.
In earning the certification, Mt. Lebanon received points in 21 different categories. Among other things, Mt. Lebanon earned points for:
• Adopting sustainability policies, goals and principals
• Using a historic preservation board
• Using an environmental sustainability board
• Promoting safe walking to schools
• Conducting an energy audit
• Investing in water, sewer and stormwater systems
• Adopting tree and wetland protection and management policies
• Recycling in all municipal buildings
• Encouraging residents to buy local
For more information on the score, visit www.sustainablecommunityessentials.org.