Getting Together – Feb. 13
South Hills Aglow will meet at 7 p.m. Feb. 18 at South Hills Assembly, Bethel Park. Pastor Jeff Kipp will discuss the Book of Esther and how it ties into the Middle East. A minimal room fee will be charged.
Upper St. Clair Woman’s Club will meet at 11 a.m. Feb. 19 at Christ U.M. Church, Bethel Park. A representative from Phipps Conservatory will speak. To RSVP, call 412-833-1262.
Bethel Woman’s Club will meet for lunch on Feb. 20 at Christ U.M. Church. Dennis Smalley will offer music To RSVP, call 412-835-9567.
Bethel Park Women’s Business Network will meet at 6 p.m. Feb. 21 at Al’s Cafe. The agenda includes self-marketing, a business presentation, table discussion and networking. For details, call Tamra McKenna at 412-885-5162.
Bridgeville Area Historical Society will meet at 1:30 p.m. Feb. 24 in the Chartiers Room, Bridgeville Vol. Fire Department. Jack Puglisi will speak on the election of 1800.
• Hola Amigos, noon Fridays Feb. 22-May 12. Learn Spanish through stories, songs and games.
• Toddler Storytime, 10 and 11 a.m. Feb. 19. Stories and craft.
• Art Club, K-second grade, 7 p.m. Wednesdays Feb. 20-March 6.
• Spring into Organization with Jill Yesko, 7 p.m. Feb. 21. Learn to declutter.
• Art Class demo by Susan Barr of South Arts, 11 a.m. Feb. 23.
• Bridgeville Remembered: A New Century, 1800-1825 with John Oyler, local historian, 7 p.m. Feb. 14.
• AARP Tax-Aide, 11 a.m. Feb. 15. Free tax help for taxpayers with low/moderate income.
•Puppy Tales, grades one-five, read with Walter, the therapy dog, 1 p.m. Feb. 16.
• Basic computer classes available. Materials provided. Cost is $10 or $4 per class. Call 724-745-4300.
• Homeschooled or cyberschooled students can register for the Valentine Party at 1 p.m. Feb. 14.
• Family Night Storytime, all ages, 6:30 p.m. Feb. 14 and 21. Stories, crafts, games.
• Rave, teens, 7 p.m. Feb. 15. Refreshments and music. Cost is $3 paid before Feb. 15 or $5 at the door.
• Worldview Travel will offer a presentation on traveling to the Caribbean. Learn about accommodations, dining, golf and scuba diving.
• Lego party, 4:30 p.m. K-second grade and 6:30 p.m. grades three-five, Feb. 18.
• Crop Scrapbooking, 11th grade plus, 6 p.m. Feb. 18. Supplies provided for $2.
• Carnegie Screenwriters Group, 10 a.m. Feb. 16.
• Jackie Robinson: Cross the Line in America’s game, major league baseball, 1:30 p.m. Feb. 17.
• Chinese conversation and culture, 7 p.m. Thursdays.
• Teen Volunteer Lock-in, Mt. Lebanon High School students, 6 p.m. Feb. 22.
• Paws for Reading, grades one and up, 10 a.m. Feb. 16. Read to a therapy dog.
• Clifford the Big Red Dog’s birthday party, all ages, 10:30 a.m. Feb. 16.
• Monopoly Party, 2 p.m. Feb. 16.
• Family Movie Night, all ages, 6 p.m. Feb. 19. Watch “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.”
•Book Discussion, 1:30 p.m. Feb. 21. Read “The Flight of Gemma Hardy” by Margot Livesev.
• Toddler Storytime, 10 a.m. Feb. 18. Stories, rhymes, songs.
• Preschool Storytime, 10 a.m. Tuesdays and 1 p.m. Wednesdays.
• Book Club, 7 p.m. Feb. 21. Discuss “The Keeper of Lost Causes” by Jussi Adler-Olsen.
Upper St. Clair
• Gluten-free Eating with Sunny Bridge Natural Foods, 7 p.m. Feb. 25. Call 412-835-5540.
Applications for the 2013-14 school year are being taken at Open Door Nursery, First U.P. Church, Houston. Classes are offered for 3, 4 and 5 year olds.
For details, call Henrietta Ladzinski at 724-745-2991.
Beverly Heights Christian Preschool, Mt. Lebanon, is accepting registrations for ages 2 through kindergarten. Personal tours are available. For details, call Karen Sourbeer at 412-561-7200.
North Strabane Township Parks/Rec will sponsor a roller skating party 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Feb. 16 at Pancake Skate & Whirl, Washington.
Free admission to North Strabane residents; nonresidents pays $3. Skate rental is $1 or bring your own. Bring a donated nonperishable food item for the Washington County Food Bank. For details, call 724-745-8880.
PA Connecting Communities will host a Valentine’s Day Dance at 5 p.m. Feb. 17 at the Doubletree Hotel in Green Tree. Dinner, prizes, disc jockey. PACC plans programs for individuals who require assistance to live and work in the community.
Cost is $30 for members and $25 for staff or caregiver.
For details, call 412-621-6151.
Animal Friends sponsors Adopt a Shelter Rabbit Month in February. Meet Freddie and other adoptable rabbits as they roam 2:30 to 4 p.m. Feb. 17 or 23. For details, call 412-847-7000.
Dance Workshop by Shari, Whitehall, will sponsor Go Red Zumbathon at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 22. The 90-minute Zumba session will include four instructors, gifts, raffles and snacks.
A $15 donation will benefit the American Heart Association. To register, call 412-884-5099.
Outdoor Classroom in Upper St. Clair, plans the following events:
• SOD Hike: tracking, 10 a.m. Feb. 19. Look for animals in the woods.
• Winter Fun Day, girls in grades K-third grade, 10 a.m. Feb. 23. Fee is $15.
• Frosty Fun Day, girls in grades four-eight, 1 p.m. Feb. 23. Fee is $15.
• Moonstruck: Full Moon Hike, 6 p.m. Feb. 25. Fee is $4.
For details, call 412-838-0064.
The following events are planned at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair:
• Mom to Mom: Heart Talk, 9:30 a.m. Thursdays Feb. 21-May 2.
• First Place 4 Health Free Orientation, 9:30 a.m. Feb. 28. Weight-loss program.
For details, call 412-835-6630.
Red Velvet social
Pittsburgh Social Exchange will host its third Red Velvet social at 6 p.m. Feb. 20 at the new Hazlett Theater. Mingle and enjoy hors d’oeuvres. The River City Brass Band will entertain. To RSVP, call 412-265-2315.
Fairy tale tour
David Motak and Jack Samuels of the Cracow Creche Workshop, Pittsburgh, will host a 2013 Royal Wedding Tour to Poland June 21-July 2. Coordinated by Sullivan’s Custom Tours, L.L. C. Every four years more than 3,000 costumed participants help to celebrate the wedding of Polish Princess Jadwiga Jagiellonka to Duke George of Landshut, Bavaria.
The tour will include a stop at Czestochowa, the Shrine of the Black Madonna before journeying into the romantic past in Krakow. Landmarks and historic works of master painter Jan Matejko, a medieval banquet, Prague and Cesky Krumlov in the Czech Republic are included.
For details, call Donna Sullivan at 713-291-3492.
February is Teen Dating Abuse Awareness Month. Domestic Violence Services of Southwestern PA specializes in dating violence education and prevention. To schedule a speaker for a classroom or after-school group, call 724-852-2373.
Bones for Life
Body and movement awareness are beneficial to keeping the mind and brain fit and flexible for life. The Bones for Life program will be held March 1-4 at the Andrew Carnegie Free Library in Carnegie. Hours are 4-8:30 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday and Monday. BFL is based on the Feldenkrais Method teaching the ease and ability for the brain and body to remain vital.
For details, call 412-527-4841.
Children’s Hospital will offer a program on sibling rivalry, 7 p.m. Feb. 28 at UPMC South, Bethel Park. Parents will learn strategies to keep peace. Cost is $5. To register, call 412-692-7105.
Jewish Community Center, Scott Township, will offer a prenatal yoga class at 1 p.m. beginning March 2 and continuing through April 6. Prenatal specialist Connie Baker will help moms-to-be maintain strength and flexibility during pregnancy. The class will include 20 minutes of yoga nidra, equivalent to two hours of sleep.
JCC members pay $60; nonmembers pay $90. Class is free to JCC ultimate fitness members.
For details, call 412-278-1975 ext. 217.
Wheeling Civic Garden Center, Oglebay Park, will hold “Thrillers, Fillers and Spillers” at 1 p.m. Feb. 28. Master gardener Ron Boron will discuss container gardening. For details, call 304-242-0665.
Getting Together – Feb. 13
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Spoonwood Brewing to open this fall in Bethel (1205)
District attorney dropping charges against South Fayette student (415)
Peters Township keeping pace in Section 5 baseball (156)
Canon-Mac, South Fayette advance to Final Four in wrestling (140)
Bethel Park wins national hockey championship (118)
Celebrate Indian Pride fundraiser (81)
USC residents get a lot for their tax dollars (62)
Fundraisers - April 16 (48)
Recovery is the only antidote to the drug issue (46)
Franklin Regional incident hits too close to home (46)