Lebo fireworks launch site up in the air

Published Feb 22, 2013 at 3:10 pm (Updated Feb 22, 2013 at 3:10 pm)

Mt. Lebanon residents looking forward to the municipality’s Fourth of July fireworks display this summer might have to look to neighboring communities for their fireworks fix. According to Mt. Lebanon Recreation Director David Donnellan, the municipality has yet to find a location from which to shoot fireworks for the 2013 Fourth of July celebration.

Donnellan said Pyrotecnico, a company based in New Castle, that shoots the fireworks, needs 60 days notice prior to the Fourth of July to prepare for the display.

“The show must be designed for safety, specifically for the launch site,” Donnellan said. “We have to figure out our game plan.”

Mt. Lebanon came under fire for last year’s fireworks display being launched at the Mt. Lebanon Cemetery due to construction at Mt. Lebanon High School. The fireworks display closed the area and angered residents who couldn’t visit loved ones buried at the cemetery. The Mt. Lebanon Cemetery recently told Donnellan it would not allow fireworks to be launched from the site in 2013.

Donnellan said other options include shooting the fireworks from the upper parking lot across from the high school football stadium or shooting the fireworks from the fairways for holes two and three at the Mt. Lebanon Golf Course.

“The golf course provides a nice open space on high ground,” Donnellan said, noting that the fireworks would cause the golf course to close for a minimum of 24 hours. “We don’t want to disturb golfers or create undo hardships for them.”

“There are logistical concerns for all of our locations,” Donnellan said. “Another option is to not have fireworks and join forces with one of our neighboring communities to have a bigger show.”

comments powered by Disqus