Getting Together – Feb. 27
South Hills College Club will meet at 1 p.m. March 12 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. Caitlin Vancas, public relations director of the Better Business Bureau, will discuss scams and fraud. Dessert will be served.
Military Wives Club will meet at 11:30 a.m. March 13 at the 911th Air Force Reserve Base in Moon Township. A program on healthy living begins at 1 p.m.
All wives of active duty, reserves, retired, spouses, friends and associates from all military branches may join the club.
Dues are $10 per year. The club raises money for the military and local charities.
To RSVP, call 412-279-8424.
Countryside Book Club will meet at noon March 5 at the home of Adeline Rennekamp. Ann DeBorteli will review “Wonder Boy’s” by Michael Chabon.
• First Time Homebuyers by AJM Mortgage, 7 p.m. Feb. 28.
• Articles Club, 7 p.m. Feb. 28. Read/discuss articles about happiness.
• Raising Funds/Raising Spirits with psychic medium Debbie Parker, 10 a.m. March 2.
• Gaming Club, K-fifth grade, 1 p.m. Sundays in March. Games, cards, videos, Bingo.
• Bark for Books, K-fifth grade, 2 p.m. March 3. Read to a therapy dog.
• Pro-Martial Art Armor Predator Prevention, kids, 6:30 p.m. Feb. 28.
• AARP Tax Aide, low/moderate income, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Appointments only.
• Chess Club, adults, 11 a.m. March 6. Bring lunch.
• Book Discussion, 7 p.m. March 11. Read “The Fallen” by Kathleen George.
• Book sale, March 14-17. Preview Night 5-8 p.m. March 14. $5 admission. Refreshments served. $6 bag sale every day.
• Toddler Time, Dr. Seuss Birthdayganza, 11 a.m. March 1. Make a green eggs treat.
• Kids Movie Night, 6 p.m. March 1.
• Senior Lunch & Learn, 11:30 a.m. March 8.
• Adult Extreme Spelling Bee, 6:30 p.m. March 8. Create a team of three. Prizes.
• Middle School Manicure, 4-5:30 p.m. Feb. 28.
• Just Dance Contest, 12:30 p.m. March 2. No fee. Prize.
• Junk Crafts March 4. K-second grade at 4:30 p.m. Grades three-five at 6:30 p.m.
• Candymaking, 11th grade+, 6 p.m. March 4. Molded candies. Materials provided. Fee is $2.
• Parenting a Strong-Willed Child, 6:30 p.m. March 13. Free Registration is required. Visit www.greentreelibrary.org.
• Intermediate Italian language course eight Mondays starting March 11. Ages 18 plus. Fee is $60. Register at the library by March 4.
• Creating a garden of roses, 6:30 p.m. March 4.
• Slovak Heritage, 7 p.m. March 4. Slovakia Today vs. Slovakia of Our Ancestors.
• Tea at Downton Abbey, 7 p.m. March 6.
• How to Appeal Your Property Assessment, 7 p.m. March 7. Free.
• Knitting Group, 11 a.m. March 2. All skills. Instructor available. Casual group meets at 6 p.m. Mondays.
• Chocolate Lover’s Tea with Mr. Sarris, Sarris Candies, 7 p.m. March 8. Cost is $10. Bring a teacup.
South Canonsburg Church Rainbowland Preschool is accepting enrollments for 2-day toddler, 3-day preschool, 4-day pre-k transitional. Call Gwyn Green at 724-745-7438, ext. 5.
Washington County Parks offer a Feather Their Nests preschool program March 6 at Mingo Creek Park. Sessions are available at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Supplies will be provided. Participants may bring items such as dryer lint or pet fur for their nesting bag. Call 724-228-6867.
The Four Townsmen Show Band will perform with the Mansfield 5 on March 2 at the SNPJ in Sygan.
Trax Farms will celebrate the anniversary of its antique loft 10 a.m.-5 p.m. March 8-10. Treats, raffles, gifts and surprises.
Animal Friends, Pittsburgh, will host clinics offering low-cost vaccine, microchip and flea treatments for dogs and cats 1-3 p.m. March 7 and 21. Rabies, distemper, Bordetella and FVRCP vaccines are $10 each. Microchip for $20 and flea treatments for $5. To register, call 412-847-7029.
Fight for Air
American Lung Association and WTAE news anchor Andrew Stockey host the seventh annual Fight for Air Climb March 23 at One Oxford Centre. Participants will climb the 897 steps from 9 a.m.-noon. Check-in begins at 7 a.m. To register, call Marissa Mysliwiec at 412-321-4029.
Hip Hop Dance
A Hip Hop Dance Clinic taught by National Champion Peters Twp. Dance Team will be taught 12:30-4 p.m. March 10 at Peters Twp. High School. Girls and boys K-12th grade are welcome. $35 per person. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
Farm to Table
The Seventh Annual Farm to Table Conference is set for 10 a.m.-5 p.m. March 22-23 at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center, Pittsburgh. Extras will include a Friday Night Local Food Tasting 5-8 p.m. and Saturday Networking Breakfast.
For details, visit farmtotablepa.com/conference.
Phipps Conservatory will present a special Yoga Festival March 1-7. Yoga programs, discovery stations, food tastings will be featured among lush plants, flowers, cascading waterfalls and serene fish pond.
Yoga-themed topics will be held 11 a.m.-noon March 1 and March 4-7 and 11 a.m.-noon and 1:30-2:30 p.m. March 2, 3. Learn more at phipps.conservatory.org.
Central Blood Bank will hold a blood drive 8 a.m.-2 p.m. March 10 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. To register, call 412-835-6630.
Five physicians from St. Clair Hospital will discuss colorectal cancer noon-4 p.m. March 9 in the Dunlap Conference Center at St. Clair Hospital. Topics include epidemiology, colonoscopy, screening and surgery.
Teepa Snow, dementia expert, will speak on Typical Progression of Dementia-What You Can Do to Help at 6 p.m. March 5 and Building Hands-on Caregiver Skills for Persons with Dementia at 6 p.m. March 6 at Asbury Heights, Mt. Lebanon. Free.
To register, call Peg Chabala at 412-571-5663.
Alone at Home
Children’s Hospital will offer Alone at Home, 7 p.m. March 13, May 15 and Aug. 7 at UPMC South, Bethel Park.
Ages 10 and older with a parent will discuss physical/emotional readiness and safety. Cost is $10 per family.
To register, call 412-692-7105.
Westminster Recreation/Outreach Center, Upper St. Clair, plans the following:
• Gentle Yoga, 6 p.m. Mondays starting March 11. Proceed at your own pace.
• Kettlebell Fusion with trainer Nancy Griffin, 7 p.m. Tuesdays and/or Thursdays starting March 5. Build muscles and whittle your waist.
For details, call 412-835-6630.
Department of Labor
South Hills Small Business Institute will host the Pennsylvania Department of Labor on March 6 at the Crowne Plaza. The workshop “It’s Not My Fault-I Didn’t Know” will highlight new rules and regulations for Unemployment Compensation in 2013.
For details, call 412-306-8090.
Washington County Parks will offer a Needle and Yarn workshop at 10 a.m. March 13 at Mingo Creek Park. Create a crocheted scarf. Bring a skein of Sashay yarn, size G crochet hook and scissors. Refreshments served. Fee $1.
To register, call 724-228-6867.
Tri-State Area Master Gardener’s Association will hold a lecture series at 9:30 a.m. March 16 at Trax Farms, Finleyville.
Workshops include: Right Place, Wrong Place, 9:30 a.m. Sun or shade?; Veggie Gardening, 10:45 a.m. Prepare the soil, choose seeds or plants; Nature’s Pests, 11:30 a.m. Keep deer, rodents, bugs out of the garden; Organic Pest Control, 12:30 p.m.; Make a Terrarium, 1 p.m.
Fee is $15/morning, $25/afternoon or both for $35 for those registered by March 9. Call 304-564-3805 to register.