Getting Together – March 6
Southwestern Pennsylvania Registered Nurses Club will meet at 9:30 a.m. March 19 at Hamilton Presbyterian Church, Bethel Park. Mark Zivkovich, Allegheny Co. Depart. Human Services for Area Agency on Aging, will speak on Caring for Our Elderly: Reporting Elder Abuse. For details, call 412-341-4207.
• Nurses Club offers scholarship opportunities to students who are actively pursing advanced education in nursing. Scholarships are awarded each April. Apply at Pittsburgh Foundation, Five PPG Place, Suite 250, Pittsburgh, PA 15222-5414.
Pioneers West Historical Society will meet at 1 p.m. March 9 at the Walker-Ewing Log House, Collier Township. Refreshments served. For details, call Mary Kientz at 412-279-9408.
WOMEN of Southwestern PA will meet at 6 p.m. March 21 at Bella Sera. Jeanette Bussen, Justice/Peace Ministries at the Sisters of St. Joseph and FBI special agent Denise Holtz will speak on human trafficking. Dinner is $25. To RSVP, call 724-969-0984.
Members of Alpha Omega of Bet Sigma Phi will meet March 7 at the home of Cathy Snyder. The March social will be a visit to the Senator John Heinz History Center on March 12.
• Pokemon Club, K-fifth grade, 6 p.m. Wednesdays in March.
• Teen Cafe, 7 p.m. March 7. Refreshments, do homework, hang out.
• Mother/Daughter Book Club, 6 p.m. March 11. K-fifth grade.
• Zentangle, tweens/teens, 6 p.m. Tuesdays in March. Draw structured patterns. Fee is $10.
• Preschool Storytime, 1 p.m. March 7. Stories, songs, crafts.
• Bridgeville Remembered: Beginning of a Village with John Oyler, 1825-1850, 7 p.m. March 7.
• Toddler Time, 11 a.m. March 15.
• Doll Tea Party & Sleepover, girls K-fifth grade, noon, March 16. Bring your favorite doll for a doll sleepover.
• Woodburning, 4 p.m. March 7. High school students learn ancient art of burning decorative patterns. No fee.
• Mystery Book Club, 6:30 p.m. March 7. Discuss “The Quickie” by James Patterson.
• Family Night, 6:30 p.m. March 7. Stories, crafts, games.
• Health Care and Social Security: What You Need to Know, 7 p.m. March 18. Questions answered.
• League of Women Voters lunchtime series, 12:30 p.m. March 7. Discuss gun control issues.
• Foundations of Investing with advisor Brendan Gallagher, 7 p.m. March 12. Bonds, stocks, mutual funds.
• International Women’s Conversation Circles, 10 a.m. March 13. Practice speaking English while learning about local activities.
• Life Design Workshop, 7 p.m. March 7. Learn your strengths.
• Girls Book Club, grades four-six, 6 p.m. March 11. Read “The Secret Garden” by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
• Marker/Chalk Pastel Drawing, ages 6-13, 4 p.m. Tuesdays starting March 12. Cost is $15 plus supplies.
• Word Processing 2, 7 p.m. March 12. Cost is $5. Learn indents, tabs, tables, formatting.
• Conversation Salon, 1 p.m. March 11. “Should PA state liquor stores be privatized?”
• Book Bingo, K-eighth grade and adult, 7 p.m. March 14.
• Children’s Choice Award Voting, grades three-six. Vote for your favorite book. Books are available at the township and middle school libraries.
• Magic Dragon Club, grades one-five, 6 p.m. March 7. Young artists and writers.
• E-Reader drop-in help sessions, 6 p.m. March 13 and 27. Get help with Kindles, Nooks, iPads.
• Strange Encounters of PA-An Afternoon with author Stan Gordon, 1 p.m. March 16. Gordon is a UFO and Bigfoot researcher.
• Book Club, 7 p.m. March 21. Discuss “Firefly Lane” by Kristin Hannah.
Upper St. Clair
• Travel with Mirela, Worldview Travel, 7 p.m. March 21. Learn to find the best travel deals.
Family Fun Nite
St. Valentine Preschool, Bethel Park, will celebrate the “wearin’ of the green” with a St. Patrick’s Day Family Fun Nite at 7 p.m. March 16. A magician, bingo, face painting, tattoos, ice cream sundae bar, games and storyteller will be included. Cost is $2 per person or $5 per family. To RSVP, call 412-835-5539.
Thomas Christian Preschool is accepting registrations for the 2013-14 term. Morning classes are open for 2, 3 and 4 year olds. For a tour, call Terri Kleinhans at 724-941-8910.
John McMillan Preschool, Bethel Park, will host its annual Family Music Fest and Ice Cream Social at 7 p.m. March 8. The event begins with a sing-a-long, followed by the raffle of theme baskets and all-you-can eat ice cream sundaes.
Tickets are $12 per family sold in advance. For details, call 412-833-4704. Proceeds benefit the school.
Lion and Lamb
South Arts will open a new art show, “The Lion and the Lamb,” March 9 at the South Arts Gallery, Bethel Park. Oil paintings, pastels, photographs and sculptures will be featured at the reception set for 1 to 4 p.m. The show will run through April 6.
Animal Friends, Pittsburgh, plans the following activities:
• Pet photos with the Easter Bunny, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 10. Photos are three for $10.
•St. Patrick’s Day beer tasting, 7 to 8:30 p.m. March 15. Bring people-friendly pooches to play with canine friends while human companions sample micro-brew beers. Cost is $20 per person. Register at 412-847-7055.
Proceeds benefit homeless residents of Animal Friends.
Schoolhouse Arts Center, Bethel Park, will hold its spring opening 1-4 p.m. March 9. The gallery will feature the original artwork of Marian Bollman, local artist and musician. The Gift Shop features handcrafted items by local artists and the Treasure Room offers vintage items. For details, call 412-835-9898.
Pet Search will hold a Rabies Plus Clinic 10 a.m.-4 p.m. March 10 at the Mt. Pleasant Fire Department, Hickory. Rabies vaccinations will be available for cats and dogs for $6.
Dog DHLPP (booster), Bordatella, lyme, cat FCRCKP (booster) and leukemia vaccines will also be available. Have your pet microchipped for $25.
Fight for Air
American Lung Association and WTAE news anchor Andrew Stockey will host the seventh annual Fight for Air Climb March 23 at One Oxford Centre. Participants will climb the 897 steps from 9 a.m.-noon. Check-in begins at 7 a.m.
Participants are asked to raise $100 to climb and pay $25 to register. Proceeds support lung disease prevention programs, research and advocacy.
To register, call Marissa Mysliwiec at 412-321-4029.
The Four Townsmen and The Four Townsmen Band will perform March 16 at the Houston American Legion. Tickets are available at the Canonsburg Shop ‘n Save, American Legion or call 724-746-4398.
Health and fitness
The following good-health classes are planned in the Collier Township Community Room:
• Arthritis Foundation Tai Chi, 10 a.m. Thursdays starting March 7.
• Hatha Yoga, 3 p.m. Thursdays through April 4.
Call 412-279-2525 to register.
Monongahela Valley Hospital sponsors the following programs:
• Multiphasic Blood analysis, 7-10 a.m. March 23. Diagnose anemia, lung disease, diabetes, leukemia, high cholesterol and blood disorders. Cost is $25. Register at 724-258-1282.
• Diabetes Alert Day: Risk Screening, 1-4 p.m. March 26.
To register, call 724-258-1483.
Children’s Hospital will offer the following programs at UPMC South, Bethel Park:
• Tech Smart 4 Kids: Internet Safety, 7 p.m. March 21. Parents will learn to set guidelines.
To register, call 412-692-7105.
Pittsburgh Glass Center plans the following classes:
• Fuze-A-Polooza, March 16. Make colorful plates, bowls, platters.
• Make-it-now glass eggs, 1-4 p.m. March 23.
• GAGI + Hot Jam, 6-9 p.m. April 5. Open house featuring glassblowing, demos.
For details, call 412-365-2145.
Lunch and Learn
A Farm to Table Lunch & Learn program is set for 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. March 15 at the Pittsburgh Public Market on Smallman Street. Learn about Farmers Markets, retainers, restaurants and other food resources.
• A Wellness Workshop: Integrating Nutrition will be held at noon March 18 at Marty’s Market.
Lunch will be provided. For details, call 412-657-3028.
Getting Together – March 6
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
O’Connor invests in BP basketball (43)
Chishko, Macri win PIAA titles (36)
Chishko, Macri win PIAA titles (27)
South Park resident among those missing on Malaysia Airlines flight (214)
Program sheds light on Affordable Healthcare Act (149)
Army Reserves members read to students (98)
Chishko, Macri win PIAA titles (95)
Ballroom dancing not the answer (1)
PSU students still battle shadow of Sandusky’s actions (1)
Colella appointed to fill vacant BP council seat (1)