Musical Passion Play to be performed at St. Ben’s
St. Benedict the Abbot Church, McMurray, will present its parish musical “Seek the Lord, The Passion of Jesus Christ” at 8 p.m. March 15 and 7:30 p.m. March 16 in the Pope Benedict Activity Center.
This parishioner produced and directed show tells the story and mission of Jesus Christ.
The Friday performance follows the annual Fish Fry from 4-7:15 p.m. Enjoy dinner and a show. A good will offering will be accepted.
TriCounty Choir Institute will present the musical Passion Play, “Why Must He Die?” at 7 p.m. Good Friday, March 29 at St. Patrick Church, Canonsburg. Written and directed by Linda Wallace, the play is a meditation through music, drama and liturgical dance on the life, death and resurrection of Jesus.
Canonsburg U.P. Church will feature an Easter laser show at 8 p.m. March 29 and 30. Free will offering proceeds will benefit local charities and families.
An Easter Basket Family Bingo will be held at 1:30 p.m. March 17 in the Holy Child Gym, Bridgeville. Admission of $8 includes 14 games and a Chinese auction ticket. For more information, call 412-221-4720.
Bethel Presbyterian Church Concert Series will present “One Voice” at 7 p.m. March 24. “God’s Greatest Gift” is a free concert of the Christian vocal ensemble under the direction of David F. Pressau.
A reception will follow. For more information, call 412-835-0405.
Christ the Redeemer Anglican Church in Canonsburg holds Stations of the Cross at 7 p.m. Tuesdays in Lent. Bible Study is held at 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
Monthly Healing Services with anointing are held on the fourth Tuesday of every month.
Worship is held at 5 p.m. Saturdays and 8 and 10:30 a.m. Sundays. For more information, call 724-745-0685.
Peters Creek Presbyterian Church, Venetia, will install the Rev. Douglas Brandt as senior minister at 7 p.m. March 17 during a special service. There will be a reception immediately following the installation and the community is invited.
Pastor Brandt was called by the congregation in June and his first Sunday was Sept. 16. He and his wife, Katie, and their three sons come from Oneonta Congregational Church in South Pasadena, Calif. He holds degrees from Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, and Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, Va. Peters Creek is a member of the Presbytery of the Alleghenies of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church.
Rev. Brandt is currently enjoying “fireside chats” with the congregation. He will be listening and learning to understand what the congregation is passionate about and where they feel change is needed. He will also present the new Mission\Vision statements created by the Church Session (Elder Board) in their January retreat.
For more information, call 724-941-6210 or visit www.peterscreekchurch.org.
Vacation Bible School
The Salvation Army will hold Easter Spring Break Vacation Bible School from 6-8 p.m. March 25-28 for ages 6-12.
Snacks, crafts, gym time, games and prizes.
Register at 412-207-2127 (ask for Dan or Holly), or register for a Kickoff VBS Egg Hunt at 1 p.m. March 23. RSVP three days prior to the VBS Egg Hunt.
First Bethel United Methodist Church presents a five-week Poverty Series from 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesdays, March 13 and 20.
The curriculum comes from the United Methodist Women’s Mission Education program, designed to help participants recognize and claim for themselves the connections between scripture, church tradition, compassion for the poor, social outreach and social justice. Deepen your understanding of the realities of poverty and commit to solidarity with the poor through accompaniment and advocacy.
For more information or to register, call 412-835-0700.
Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, will hold The Prodigal God: A Bible Study at 10 a.m. Thursdays.
For more information, call 412-835-6630.
DeMarillac Guild at St. Louise de Marillac Church, Upper St. Clair, will meet for a prayer service in celebration of St. Louise Feast Day at 7:30 p.m. March 14. The service will be offered by Mary Ann Garfold in the temporary chapel.
The fashion show will follow in LeGras Parish Center. Phyllis’ Fashions will present spring fashions from petite to plus sizes. For more information, contact Nancy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Christ U.M. Church Bethel Park, will hold the following events:
• Summer in Winter Party, youth, 6 p.m. March 16. Wear T-shirts and flip-flops.
• Moses and the Freedom Fanatics, children’s musical, 3 p.m. March 17.
• Women’s Book Study: “The Time Keeper” by Mitch Albom, 7 p.m. Thursdays, beginning March 21.
• Can We Really Believe in Heaven?, 7 p.m. March 27. Heaven and the afterlife.
St. Louise de Marillac Parish, Upper St. Clair, offers a Lenten DVD series, “Seven Deadly Sins and Seven Lively Virtues,” presented by Father Robert Barron. The series focusing on pride, envy, anger, sloth, gluttony, avarice and lust will be held Mondays. Fee is $18.
To register, call Janet MacDonald at 724-249-3949. Legacy Baptist
Legacy Baptist Church, located in Accelerando Music Conservatory, Canonsburg, holds Sunday services at 11 a.m. and 12:45 p.m.
Choir practice starts at 10:10 a.m.; Sunday school starts at 10:30 a.m. Bible study is held at 7 p.m. Thursdays. For more information, call 724-621-6785 or visit www.legacybaptistchurch.us.
The Bible Chapel, McMurray, plans the following events:
• VITA income tax preparation, 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday-Friday, through April 15, Room 180.
FREE Income tax preparation for seniors citizens and low-income individuals. First come, first serve basis. Phone calls or emails will not be accepted. No numbers given out past 2 p.m.
• The 3 in 1 Tour, 7 p.m. March 14. Dove Award and Grammy Award nominated and winning artists Mandisa, Brandon Heath and Laura Story perform. Tickets are available in the Chapter 2 Bookstore for $20. VIP Experience tickets available at www.itickets.com.
• The Silver Ring Thing, 7-9 p.m. March 15. The Rewind tour is for youth and parents. It’s done with comedy, high energy music and special effects. Bring a friend or the whole youth group.
• Consignors are wanted for a Kid’s Resale held 9 a.m.-7:30 p.m. March 22. Make extra cash on gently used kids clothing, equipment and toys. Consignors should contact Holly Smith at email@example.com.
• Tim Hawkins, 4-7 p.m. March 24 in the Worship Center. Clean comedy. Tickets are available in the Chapter 2 Bookstore.
For more information, visit www.biblechapel.org.
Hamilton Presbyterian Church, Bethel Park, offers weekly contemporary service 6 p.m. Saturdays. Music will feature a three-four piece band led by Tom Coyne and supported by local vocalists. A message will be presented by the Rev. Lance Chapman.
• Adult classes begin at 7 p.m. Wednesdays. Topics include anger management, divorce care, marriage enrichment and healing is a choice.
• GriefShare, 10 a.m. or 7 p.m. Thursdays. Cost is $15.
• The Hamilton Youth Group, “The God Squad,” is open to all teens. The group meets from 6:30-8 p.m. Sundays, September-May. Adult leadership, both employed and volunteer, is needed.
For more information, call 412-884-2722. Peters Creek
Peters Creek Baptist Church, South Park, will offer the following:
• Children’s Easter Party, preschool-fifth grade, 10 a.m. March 23. Easter story, egg hunt, food and games. Bring a dozen candy-filled eggs per child.
• SH Christian Athlete Recogntion Breakfast, 8:30 a.m. March 23. Speaker will be Dr. Kevin Elko.
• Men’s Bible study, 7:30-8:30 p.m. The topic is “Battling Unbelief.”
• Wednesday groups begin with dinner from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Classes are offered for all ages.
For more information, call 412-833-6111.
St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church, Canonsburg, will hold its Easter bake sale 11 a.m.-1 p.m. March 30. Order are taken for paska, paska with raisins, nut, poppy and apricot rolls. Call 724-225-9593 by March 17.
Journey through Lent
St. Paul Episcopal Church, Mt. Lebanon, presents “Embracing a Life of Meaning: A Journey through Lent” at 7 p.m. Wednesdays through March 20 with Kathleen Norris. Dinner is available at 6:30 p.m. For more information, call 412-531-7153.
The Organ Artists Series of Pittsburgh will present organist Robert McCormick in concert at 4 p.m. March 17 at East Liberty Presbyterian Church.
McCormick is director of music at St. Paul’s Parish in Washington, D.C. He will perform works by Eugène Gigout, Pierre Cochereau and Edward Elgar on ELPC’s Goulding & Wood/Aeolian-Skinner organ, which ranks among the largest and finest organs in the country.
A reception with light refreshments follows the concert. Parking is available adjacent to the venue. Tickets are $12 for adults and $5 for students. For tickets, call 412-242-2787 or visit www.oas-series.com.
Our Lady of Grace School, Scott Township, will hold its annual dinner auction on March 23 at the Southpointe Hilton Garden Inn. This year’s theme is “When in Rome.”
For more information, call 412-279-6611.
Musical Passion Play to be performed at St. Ben’s
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Bethel Park wins volleyball tournament (239)
Spoonwood Brewing to open this fall in Bethel (177)
Free dance lessons for PT students will be offered March 22 following twerking incident (97)
Police beat – Week of April 16 (78)
Spoonwood Brewing to open this fall in Bethel (217)
Residents expressed concerns about a sprinkler ordinance in Peters, but no decision on any possible action (94)
Boston Marathon ‘will never be the same’ (60)
Mt. Lebanon assessments grossly unfair (3)
Dance lessons for PTHS students set for March 22 (1)
Mt. Lebanon schools face $2.6 million shortfall in budget (1)
Air quality a concern (1)
Texting insensitive to families (1)