Getting Together – March 20Published Mar 20, 2013 at 10:36 am (Updated Mar 20, 2013 at 10:36 am)
Golden Triangle Decorative Painters will hold a watercolor seminar presented by Carol Spohn on May 3-5. To register, call 724-785-3250. The annual basket luncheon is set for April 28 at Peters Place. This year’s theme is “Under The Big Top.”
Laureate Zeta Iota
Members of Laureate Zeta Iota will meet at 7 p.m. March 21 in the Cochran Hall Clubroom, Green Tree. Plans will be discussed for the Founder’s Day luncheon in April. Items are needed for a care package to be sent to a member’s son serving in Afghanistan.
Women’s Business Network provides personal and professional resources to advance the presence of aspiring and successful business women.
The Bethel Park chapter will meet at 6 p.m. March 21, Bethel Park Municipal Bldg., Bethel Park. Call 412-885-5162.
Bridgeville Area Historical Society will meet at 7:30 p.m. March 26 in the Chartiers Room, Bridgeville Volunteer Fire Department. George Gula from the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum will speak on “Three Car Checks For a Quarter.”
• Egg Eggstravaganza, 6 p.m. March 23. Story, craft and egg hunt. Ages 10 and under.
• Button Club, 11 a.m. March 27.
• Knitting, 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays. All levels.
• Genealogy Group, 7 p.m. March 25. Get research ideas.
• Dog Aggression, presented by Chartiers Custom Pet Cremation and Aunt Penny’s, 7 p.m. March 27. Learn to understand aggressive behavior in dogs.
• Computer Basics, 6:30 p.m. March 21.
• Preschool Storytime, 1 p.m. March 21. Stories, songs, crafts.
• Babies/Books, 10 a.m. March 22. Stories, songs, fingerplays.
• Toddler Tunes, 10:30 a.m. Thursdays. Various instruments, sing, dance and learn about music.
• Tail Wagging Tutors, 6 p.m. April 9. Read to a therapy dog.
• High school students build a scale model of a Civil War battle, 3:15 Mondays.
• Intro to Art, 11th grade+, all levels, 6 p.m. Mondays.
• Family Night, 6:30 p.m. March 21. Stories, crafts, games.
• All-female roller derby league the Steel City Roller Derby and Pittsburgh Jr. Derby League skaters will visit the library at 7 p.m. April 2. Girls 11+ and ladies.
• Pittsburgh’s Andy Warhol presented by author Robert Gangewere, 7 p.m. March 21.
• Wild About Books, ages 4-6, 10:30 a.m. April 2, 9, 16.
• S.H. Community Flute Choir, 7 p.m. Thursdays
• Scrabble Club, 1 p.m. Saturdays
• Computers 101, 7 p.m. March 26. $5.
• Egg Hunt, all ages, 6 p.m. March 26 or 28. Bring a basket.
• WWII discussion, 11 a.m. March 27.
• Mystery Book Club, 1 p.m. March 27. Read “The Case of Jennie Brice” by Mary Roberts Rinehart.
• Jewelry Making, 10 a.m. March 22.
• Knit the Bridge for Pittsburgh, 1 p.m. March 23. Make a panel for the Pittsburgh project.
• Celebrate Spring, 1 p.m. March 30. Stories, plant flower bulbs, decorate cupcakes, watch movies.
• Scrabble Club, adults, 1 p.m. April 3. All levels.
Upper St. Clair
• Pruning trees/shrubs by Penn State Master Gardeners, 7 p.m. April 4.
Temple Emanuel Early Childhood Development Center has space available for the 2013-14 term. Programs are available for babies 15 months old through a two-day kindergarten enrichment program. A lunch program and early drop-off and late pick-up are also available. To schedule a visit, call Nan Sim at 412-279-7687.
Trax Farms will hold Easter Breakfast with the Bunny at 9:30 a.m. March 23, 24, 29 and 30. Children will do a craft and enter the coloring contest. Egg hunts are available until 2 p.m. Tickets are $7. For details, call 412-835-3246.
North Strabane Township will hold its Easter Egg Hunt on March 23 at the Municipal Park.
Callan, a Pittsburgh-based quintet, will perform at 8:30 p.m. March 22 at The George Washington Hotel’s Pioneer Club, Washington. An open acoustic mic begins at 7:30 p.m. Cover charge is $5.
Washington County Parks will offer a natural egg dye/decorating program at 6:30 p.m. March 27 in the Mingo Creek Park office. Learn to dye eggs naturally. Bring hard-boiled eggs. Fee is $3. Call 724-228-6867.
The Myasthenia Gravis Association will hold its 19th annual Sports Memorabilia Auction and dinner 3 to 7 p.m. April 7 at The Club at Nevillewood. Tickets are $30. To attend, call 412-566-1545.
Canonsburg General Hospital is in need of volunteers in greeter positions, the Snack Shop and Emergency Room. Shifts are four hours. Applications can be viewed online at www.wpahs.org/cgh.
Washington County Parks will sponsor a Flight of the Timberdoodle evening at 7:30 p.m. March 27 at Shelter 10, Mingo Creek Park. Listen for the “peenting” male woodcock. Dress for moderate hiking. Bring a flashlight. No fee.
To RSVP, call 724-228-6867.
Animal Friends, Pittsburgh, plans the following activities:
• Breakfast with the Rabbits, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. March 30. Breakfast includes visiting with free-roaming rabbits and learning about rabbit care. Register at 412-847-7055.
• Easter Bake Sale, 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. March 30.
Proceeds benefit homeless residents of Animal Friends.
Economy and jobs
Pennsylvania Professional Employment Network will present Jon Delano, writer and speaker, at 7 p.m. April 1 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. His topic will be “Post Election Wisdom Regarding Jobs, Employment and the Economy.”
Register early for $5; walk-ins pay $10. Email Ron@ResumesThatTalk.com.
Dress for Success Pittsburgh will sponsor a Power Walk at 10 a.m. May 4 at the Washington Park Stone Lodge. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. Health and wellness booths and a kids corner are also planned. For details, call 724-228-8327.
Chartiers Valley Education Foundation will sponsor “An Adult Evening of Trivia” at 7:30 p.m. April 6 at the Heidelberg Fire Hall. Ticket price is $20 with advance purchase or $25 at the door. Beer, mixers, soda and light snacks provided or bring your own. To register, call 412-429-2390.
‘Visions of Nature’
3rd Street Gallery, Carnegie, will host “Visions of Nature” the entire month of April. Artists Nan Hought and Pat Patterson will feature an exhibition of their original works in pastels and oils. An opening reception featuring live music and refreshments is set for 5:30-8:30 p.m. April 6.
The Four Townsmen Show Band and the Mansfield 5 will present a Night of Oldies at 7 p.m. April 13 at the Sygan SNPJ #6, Bridgeville. Tickets are $20. Refreshments available. For details, call 412-889-6780.
The Bradford House, Washington, is in need of docents and volunteers. The historical landmark and museum is open 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday, May through December. For details, call 724-350-4563.
Farm & Food Fest
The Second Annual Philly Farm & Food Fest will be held 11 a.m. 4 p.m. April 14 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center Annex in Philadelphia. More than 100 farms and businesses will be featured. Visit phillyfarmfest.org for details.
St. Paul Episcopal Church, Mt. Lebanon, will begin a 10-week Tai Chi for Health program on April 2. Day and evening classes are planned. Arthritis Foundation will sponsor Tai Chi and traditional Sun Style 73 Forms taught by Gurney Bolster. For details, call 412-480-4492.
Monongahela Valley Hospital sponsors a program on High Blood Pressure: Salt/sodium Intake, 3-5 p.m. April 11.
To register, call 724-258-1483.
Children’s Hospital will offer a program on a Parent’s Guide to Family Fitness at 7 p.m. April 4 at UPMC South, Bethel Park. Free. Practical ways to improve food choices, increase physical activity and reduce screen time:
To register, call 412-692-7105.
Water Resource Educators/Penn State Extension and Aquatic Edge Consulting will host a free pond management workshop at 9 a.m. April 13 at the Washington County Conservation District, Washington.
Cost is $15, materials included. To register, call 724-774-3003.
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks will present a painting and wood care workshop at 10 a.m. March 23 at Landmarks Housing Resource Center in Pittsburgh. Stephen Shelton, Shelton Masonry/Contracting, will present techniques for paint removal and wood care.
To register, call 412-471-5808.
Washington County Master Gardeners will offer composting demos 10 a.m. until noon April 6 and 27 at the children’s garden across from the Washington County Fairgrounds.
Learn how and what to compost and how to use your compost material.
For details, call 724-228-6881.