Getting Together – March 27
Southwestern Pennsylvania Registered Nurses Club will meet at 9:30 a.m. April 16 at Hamilton Presbyterian Church, Bethel Park. Mark Davis will speak on “Everything You Wanted to Know about Supplements and Then Some.” For details, call 412-341-4207.
Countryside Book Club will meet at noon April 2 at the home of Sally Sinatra. Bonnie Opsal will review “Brothers and Keepers” by John Edgar Wideman.
Xi Zeta Tau will meet at the home of Jennifer Bergles at 7 p.m. April 4. Founder’s Day will be celebrated at 6:30 p.m. April 18 at the Bone Fish Grill. For details, call 412-851-9654.
• Puppet Theater, 7 p.m. Thursdays beginning April 4. Puppeteers are needed.
• Conversation Salon, 10 a.m. April 5. A variety of topics.
• Star Wars Galactic Adventure, all ages, 1 p.m. April 6. Appearances by Star Wars characters, trivia.
• Career Training with Bidwell Training Center, 7 p.m. April 9.
• New release movie, 6:30 p.m. March 27 and 3 p.m. March 28. Watch a Civil War drama starring Daniel Day-Lewis.
• Family Game Night, 6 p.m. April 2. Wii, board and card games.
• Book Group, 7 p.m. April 8. Discuss “The Song of the Lark” by Willa Cather.
• Facebook Starter Kit, 10:15 a.m. April 8, 10, 12. $5 for three classes.
• Microsoft Office classes, 5:30 p.m. starting April 4. $3 for individual sessions; $10 for all sessions.
• Cooking classes, 6 p.m. April 10. $15 for three classes.
• Toddler Time: Magic School Bus, prekindergarten.
• Computer help is available for $15 a session.
• Dance to the Oldies, 11 a.m. Saturdays. Dance for fitness. Women only, all ages. One-time fee of $5.
• Pranks and Tricks, K-fifth grade, 5:30 p.m. April 1.
• Book Club, 6:30 p.m. April 4. Discuss “Nineteen Minutes” by Jodi Picoult.
• Bring newspaper, junk mail, catalogs to the paper retriever bin in the parking lot.
• Super Heroes Lego workshop, grades two-five, 6:30 p.m. April 17.
• Kindle Lending has started. Check out a Kindle with best-selling titles. New titles added each month. Call 412-921-9292.
• History/future of Pittsburgh Botanic Garden, 7:30 p.m. March 27.
• Lego Club, 4 p.m. March 27. Ages 7-12.
• Slovak Heritage, 7 p.m. April 1. Life of a “Tammy” with Tamuritzan Katka Gallagher.
• After Chavez: What’s Next for Venezuela? 7 p.m. April 1.
• Sahaja Meditation, 7:30 p.m. April 1, 22, 29. Free.
• Talking to Children about Illness/Death, 7 p.m. April 3.
• Poetry author Rina Ferrarelli will read from her book “The Bread We Ate,” 7 p.m. April 11.
• Intro to Crochet, 6:30 p.m. Mondays starting April 1 or 29. Cost of $30 includes start-up kit, hook and yarn.
• Social networking on Internet, 7 p.m. April 2. Cost is $5. Twitter, Facebook, Blogging.
• Learn to grow crystals, ages 2-5 with adult, 2 p.m. Thursdays or 9:30 a.m. Saturdays.
• Movie Night, all ages, 5 p.m. April 5. Watch “Wreck It Ralph.”
Upper St. Clair
• Lunch with Jane, presented by Laura Engel, Ph.D. Duquesne University, 1 p.m. April 14 at St. Clair Country Club. Call 412-835-5540.
Thomas Christian Preschool at Thomas Presbyterian Church is registering students for its 2013-14 term. Morning classes are available. Call Terri Kleinhans at 724-941-8910.
John McMillan Preschool, Bethel Park, offers Kindergarten Plus Mondays before or after kindergarten class. Children will participate in integrated math, science and literacy enrichment with a focus on fun. Classes are open 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 1-3 p.m. For details, call 412-833-4704.
Sisters of St. Francis of the Providence of God, Whitehall, will make wedding, chicken/dumpling and beef barley soups for its monthly soup take-out. Place orders by April 4, pickup 3-6 p.m. April 10. Cost is $5/quart including two dinner rolls. Call 412-885-7232.
Young people of the South Hills will read excerpts from diaries such as Anne Frank’s at 7:30 p.m. April 21 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. To register, call 412-835-6630.
The Natural Home
Radio host Faith Starr will give tips for a toxin-free and naturally clean home during The Natural Home – Inside and Out 10 a.m. April 13 at South Park Nature Center. For more information, call 412-835-0143.
Washington County Parks will sponsor Keep PA Beautiful with Clean-up Day 10 a.m.-noon April 6. Groups will meet at Shelter 4, Mingo Creek Park and Shelter 1, Cross Creek Park. To register, call 724-228-6867.
McDonald Trail Station opens for weekends starting 10 a.m.-3 p.m. April 6. To rent a meeting room for small celebrations, call 724-926-4617. Trail station meetings are held at 6 p.m. the second Thursday of the month.
PA Connecting Communities will sponsor a PNC Park tour at 9:45 a.m. April 26. See the Willie Stargell statue. A box lunch will be included. Cost is $20. PACC offers opportunities to individuals who need special supports to live at home and within the community as independent as possible. For details, call 412-621-6151.
Animal Friends, Pittsburgh, will host a low-cost vaccine, microchip and flea treatment clinic 1-3 p.m. April 11. Rabies, distemper, Bordetella, FVRCP vaccines will be $10. Microchipping is $20; flea treatments are $5. Cash only. To register, call 412-847-7029.
Phipps Conservatory plans nature-based camps for ages 2-9:
• Little Sprouts: My Five Senses and We Like Dirt, ages 2 & 3.
• Seedling Scientists: Bug’s World and Fairy Tale Forest, ages 4 & 5.
• Budding Botanists: Groovin’ in the Garden and Plant Your Plate, ages 6 & 7.
• Eco-Explorers: Grow it, Cook it, Eat it! and Photo Synthesis, ages 8 & 9.
For details, call 412-441-4442.
Penn State Master Gardeners will offer a backyard gardening lecture at 9:30 a.m. April 13 at Trax Farm and Market. Topics include Plants with Pizzazz and Vertical Gardening. Refreshments and door prizes. Fee is $15. Walk-ins welcome. For details, call 412-473-2540.
Community Action Southwest sponsors an adult education program to improve skills and/or obtain a GED for Washington and Greene county residents in order to secure employment or to enroll in a trade school or college. Classes are available Thursdays in Washington and Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays at CareerLink sites. For details, call 1-877-814-0788.
Pittsburgh sports writer Jim O’Brien will offer a free basic writing skills seminar at 6:30 p.m. April 9 and 16 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. To register, call 412-835-6630.
The Pie Place, Upper St. Clair, will teach ages 4 and up to bake an Easter egg cake at 10 a.m. March 29. Cost is $20. To register, call 412-835-4410.
Washington County Master Gardeners will offer composting demos 10 a.m. until noon April 6 and 27 at the Washington County Children’s Garden at the Washington County Fairgrounds. Learn how and what to compost and how to use your compost material. For details, call 724-228-6881.