Getting Together – March 27
Southwestern Pennsylvania Registered Nurses Club will meet at 9:30 a.m. April 16 at Hamilton Presbyterian Church, Bethel Park. Mark Davis will speak on “Everything You Wanted to Know about Supplements and Then Some.” For details, call 412-341-4207.
Countryside Book Club will meet at noon April 2 at the home of Sally Sinatra. Bonnie Opsal will review “Brothers and Keepers” by John Edgar Wideman.
Xi Zeta Tau will meet at the home of Jennifer Bergles at 7 p.m. April 4. Founder’s Day will be celebrated at 6:30 p.m. April 18 at the Bone Fish Grill. For details, call 412-851-9654.
• Puppet Theater, 7 p.m. Thursdays beginning April 4. Puppeteers are needed.
• Conversation Salon, 10 a.m. April 5. A variety of topics.
• Star Wars Galactic Adventure, all ages, 1 p.m. April 6. Appearances by Star Wars characters, trivia.
• Career Training with Bidwell Training Center, 7 p.m. April 9.
• New release movie, 6:30 p.m. March 27 and 3 p.m. March 28. Watch a Civil War drama starring Daniel Day-Lewis.
• Family Game Night, 6 p.m. April 2. Wii, board and card games.
• Book Group, 7 p.m. April 8. Discuss “The Song of the Lark” by Willa Cather.
• Facebook Starter Kit, 10:15 a.m. April 8, 10, 12. $5 for three classes.
• Microsoft Office classes, 5:30 p.m. starting April 4. $3 for individual sessions; $10 for all sessions.
• Cooking classes, 6 p.m. April 10. $15 for three classes.
• Toddler Time: Magic School Bus, prekindergarten.
• Computer help is available for $15 a session.
• Dance to the Oldies, 11 a.m. Saturdays. Dance for fitness. Women only, all ages. One-time fee of $5.
• Pranks and Tricks, K-fifth grade, 5:30 p.m. April 1.
• Book Club, 6:30 p.m. April 4. Discuss “Nineteen Minutes” by Jodi Picoult.
• Bring newspaper, junk mail, catalogs to the paper retriever bin in the parking lot.
• Super Heroes Lego workshop, grades two-five, 6:30 p.m. April 17.
• Kindle Lending has started. Check out a Kindle with best-selling titles. New titles added each month. Call 412-921-9292.
• History/future of Pittsburgh Botanic Garden, 7:30 p.m. March 27.
• Lego Club, 4 p.m. March 27. Ages 7-12.
• Slovak Heritage, 7 p.m. April 1. Life of a “Tammy” with Tamuritzan Katka Gallagher.
• After Chavez: What’s Next for Venezuela? 7 p.m. April 1.
• Sahaja Meditation, 7:30 p.m. April 1, 22, 29. Free.
• Talking to Children about Illness/Death, 7 p.m. April 3.
• Poetry author Rina Ferrarelli will read from her book “The Bread We Ate,” 7 p.m. April 11.
• Intro to Crochet, 6:30 p.m. Mondays starting April 1 or 29. Cost of $30 includes start-up kit, hook and yarn.
• Social networking on Internet, 7 p.m. April 2. Cost is $5. Twitter, Facebook, Blogging.
• Learn to grow crystals, ages 2-5 with adult, 2 p.m. Thursdays or 9:30 a.m. Saturdays.
• Movie Night, all ages, 5 p.m. April 5. Watch “Wreck It Ralph.”
Upper St. Clair
• Lunch with Jane, presented by Laura Engel, Ph.D. Duquesne University, 1 p.m. April 14 at St. Clair Country Club. Call 412-835-5540.
Thomas Christian Preschool at Thomas Presbyterian Church is registering students for its 2013-14 term. Morning classes are available. Call Terri Kleinhans at 724-941-8910.
John McMillan Preschool, Bethel Park, offers Kindergarten Plus Mondays before or after kindergarten class. Children will participate in integrated math, science and literacy enrichment with a focus on fun. Classes are open 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 1-3 p.m. For details, call 412-833-4704.
Sisters of St. Francis of the Providence of God, Whitehall, will make wedding, chicken/dumpling and beef barley soups for its monthly soup take-out. Place orders by April 4, pickup 3-6 p.m. April 10. Cost is $5/quart including two dinner rolls. Call 412-885-7232.
Young people of the South Hills will read excerpts from diaries such as Anne Frank’s at 7:30 p.m. April 21 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. To register, call 412-835-6630.
The Natural Home
Radio host Faith Starr will give tips for a toxin-free and naturally clean home during The Natural Home – Inside and Out 10 a.m. April 13 at South Park Nature Center. For more information, call 412-835-0143.
Washington County Parks will sponsor Keep PA Beautiful with Clean-up Day 10 a.m.-noon April 6. Groups will meet at Shelter 4, Mingo Creek Park and Shelter 1, Cross Creek Park. To register, call 724-228-6867.
McDonald Trail Station opens for weekends starting 10 a.m.-3 p.m. April 6. To rent a meeting room for small celebrations, call 724-926-4617. Trail station meetings are held at 6 p.m. the second Thursday of the month.
PA Connecting Communities will sponsor a PNC Park tour at 9:45 a.m. April 26. See the Willie Stargell statue. A box lunch will be included. Cost is $20. PACC offers opportunities to individuals who need special supports to live at home and within the community as independent as possible. For details, call 412-621-6151.
Animal Friends, Pittsburgh, will host a low-cost vaccine, microchip and flea treatment clinic 1-3 p.m. April 11. Rabies, distemper, Bordetella, FVRCP vaccines will be $10. Microchipping is $20; flea treatments are $5. Cash only. To register, call 412-847-7029.
Phipps Conservatory plans nature-based camps for ages 2-9:
• Little Sprouts: My Five Senses and We Like Dirt, ages 2 & 3.
• Seedling Scientists: Bug’s World and Fairy Tale Forest, ages 4 & 5.
• Budding Botanists: Groovin’ in the Garden and Plant Your Plate, ages 6 & 7.
• Eco-Explorers: Grow it, Cook it, Eat it! and Photo Synthesis, ages 8 & 9.
For details, call 412-441-4442.
Penn State Master Gardeners will offer a backyard gardening lecture at 9:30 a.m. April 13 at Trax Farm and Market. Topics include Plants with Pizzazz and Vertical Gardening. Refreshments and door prizes. Fee is $15. Walk-ins welcome. For details, call 412-473-2540.
Community Action Southwest sponsors an adult education program to improve skills and/or obtain a GED for Washington and Greene county residents in order to secure employment or to enroll in a trade school or college. Classes are available Thursdays in Washington and Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays at CareerLink sites. For details, call 1-877-814-0788.
Pittsburgh sports writer Jim O’Brien will offer a free basic writing skills seminar at 6:30 p.m. April 9 and 16 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. To register, call 412-835-6630.
The Pie Place, Upper St. Clair, will teach ages 4 and up to bake an Easter egg cake at 10 a.m. March 29. Cost is $20. To register, call 412-835-4410.
Washington County Master Gardeners will offer composting demos 10 a.m. until noon April 6 and 27 at the Washington County Children’s Garden at the Washington County Fairgrounds. Learn how and what to compost and how to use your compost material. For details, call 724-228-6881.
Getting Together – March 27
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
South Fayette faces Imhotep Charter in state final (22)
Art brings life to local library (19)
Fire marshal investigates Cool Springs fire (13)
Religion - Sept. 11 (13)
USC ready to run with Penn Hills (13)
Lawrence resident sentenced to 6-12 years for sex crimes (156)
South Fayette faces Imhotep Charter in state final (94)
Donations help blind dog regain sight (91)
Car crashes into house in South Fayette (70)
USC questions new progress ratings (1)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)