Getting Together – April 3
Women’s Business Network provides personal and professional resources to aspiring and successful businesswomen. Chapters meet as follows:
• Mt. Lebanon, 8:30 a.m. April 11, 25, Crowne Plaza-Fort Couch Road. Call Sue Baumgart at 412-759-3965.
• South Hills, 8 a.m. April 4, 18, King’s Restaurant, Upper St. Clair. Call Jennifer Ohrman at 412-531-5055.
• McMurray, 8:30 a.m. April 17, The Meadows Bowling Alley. Call Paula Stoltz at 412-334-2509.
South Hills College Club will meet at 7 p.m. April 9 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. Paranormal romance novelist Gwen Cready will discuss the art of writing romance novels. Gwen is a Mt. Lebanon resident and writes time-travel stories mostly set in Pittsburgh.
Genealogical Society of Southwestern PA will meet at 2 p.m. April 13 at Citizens Library. Pat Stavovy will speak on Searching the Washington County Law Library. Free.
• National D.E.A.R. (Drop Everything and Read) Day, April 12. Free refreshments for readers.
• Survivor, 7 p.m. April 13. Just like the TV show.
• Knit a Hat, 10 a.m. April 6. Know how to knit and purl. Pattern provided. Bring yarn, size seven needles, 16-inch circular needle stitch marker.
• Beyond Recycling, 1 p.m. April 6. Discuss landfill, garbage and litter facts.
• Preschool Storytime, 10 a.m. April 8.
• Nail Art, 4:30 p.m. April 11. Polka dots to cheetah spots.
• Wii Wednesdays, ages 10-18, 3:30 p.m. Snacks provided.
• I’m on Facebook, now what? 10:15 a.m. April 15, 17, 19. $5 for three classes.
• Computer Survival Skills, 10:15 a.m. April 22, 24. $5 for two classes.
• Book Club: Zoo, 6:30 p.m. April 25.
• Senior Lunch/Learn, professional organizer, 11:30 a.m. April 26.
• Family Night, 6:30 p.m. April 4. Kick off National Poetry Month.
• Fill a bag of books for $5.
• Bring knitting, needlework, sewing for tea/conversation/finish projects, 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays.
• German Conversation Group, 7:30 p.m. April 8 and 22.
• English Learners Book Club, 1 p.m. April 9. Read “How to Make an American Quilt” by Whitney Otto. Call 412-531-3004.
• Managing Your Income in Retirement, 7 p.m. April 9.
• Writer’s Group, 7 p.m. April 9. Share and edit work for personal use or publication.
• Scrabble Tournament, 9 a.m. April 13. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to compete.
• Water Conservation with Rain Barrels and at home, 10 a.m. April 6.
• Teen Book Club, noon April 6. Read “Speak” by Laurie Halse Anderson.
• Girls’ Book Club, grades four-six, 6 p.m. April 8. Read “Among the Hidden” by Margaret Peterson Haddix.
• Watercolor pencil drawing, ages 6-13, 4 p.m. April 9-30. Cost is $15 plus supplies.
• Conversation Salon, 1 p.m. April 8. Discuss mental health and genetically-modified food.
• Finishers, 5:30 p.m. April 6. Finish your crafts.
• Book Discussion 1:30 p.m. April 18. Read “A Hundred Flowers” by Gail Psukiyama.
• Toddler Storytime, 10 a.m. April 8 and 22.
• Chess Club, K-eighth grade, 5:30 p.m. and 6:45 p.m. April 8, 15, 22, 29. Tournament is May 11.
• Mother Goose Story Time, birth-3 years old, 10:30 a.m. April 9, 10, 16.
• Preschool Science, 10:30 a.m. Thursdays through May 9. $5 per class.
• Knitting Group, 11 a.m. April 6. All levels. Instructor will be available.
• Yoga Storytime, babies-2 year olds/caregiver, 11 a.m. Tuesdays starting April 9.
• M & M Storytime, 1 p.m. Tuesdays in April.
Upper St. Clair
• Change Your Water, Change Your Life with Heather Ferri, 7 p.m. April 22.
South Hills Art League will hold new member screenings April 8 and Sept. 9 at the Unitarian Universalist Church, Mt. Lebanon. Drop off art 6-6:45 p.m. and pick up at 8:30 p.m. To register, call John Nasky at 412-341-5826.
C.A.M.P. will hold its third spring coin show April 5-7 at the Monroeville Convention Center. Hours are 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday/Saturday and 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday. Free admission and appraisals. Daily gold coin giveaway and hourly door prizes.
For details, visit www.sarosicoinsows.com.
A Cookie Lee jewelry sale will be held 8 a.m.-4 p.m. April 11 and 12 in the main lobby of Canonsburg General Hospital.
‘Cruise Into Spring’
The Keynotes of Music for Mt. Lebanon will sponsor its spring luncheon/fashion show at Valley Brook Country Club, McMurray. “Cruise Into Spring” will begin at noon April 20.
Fashions will be featured by Kohl’s. Proceeds will benefit scholarships presented to music majors in the South Hills.
Tickets are $25. To RSVP, call 412-343-6560. Valet parking.
McMurray Art League will sponsor it’s 47th annual juried spring show, “Artful Expressions” May 10-19 at the Galleria, Mt. Lebanon. Architectural illustrator David Csont will be the juror. Awards will be announced at the reception 7 p.m. May 10. Vote for the People’s Choice Award.
Wheeling Civic Garden Center, Oglebay Park, will hold a card party and salad luncheon at 11 a.m. April 26. Play the cards of your choice. Cost is $12 or $48 per table of four. To RSVP, call 304-242-0665.
The Garden Center will hold its spring open house 10 a.m.-5 p.m. April 6. Sample cheese ball mixes and dips and get free recipe cards.
Carrick High School Class of 1963 will hold its 50th anniversary reunion on Aug. 17 at South Hills Country Club. Contact Judie Ball at email@example.com with addresses of classmates. Other CHS classes may attend.
Canonsburg General Hospital plans the following:
• Satchels of Caring, 8:30 a.m. Saturday April 20. Fill satchels with therapeutic items for cancer patients at the Outpatient Care Center, McMurray.
• Free blood pressure screening, 8:45-10 a.m. April 5 at Peters Rec. Center.
• Tai Chi for Health beginning April 8, Outpatient Care Center, McMurray.
• Shoulder Replacement Surgery info session, 6 p.m. April 10, Outpatient Care Center, McMurray.
• Free blood pressure screenings, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Canonsburg Community Health Care Center. Call 724-745-9181.
Children’s Hospital will offer a program for Modern Families at 7 p.m. April 30 at UPMC South, Bethel Park. Learn Strategies for united or single parents. $5.
To register, call 412-692-7105.
April is National Child Abuse Awareness Month. The Education & Training Department of Domestic Violence Services of Southwestern PA offers training to learn more about the effects of domestic violence on children. For details, call 724-223-5477.
Mortgage analyst, Reliance First Capital, will speak about reverse mortgages at 6 p.m. April 8 at Manor Oak Two, Green Tree. To register for the free program, call 412-341-2888.
Tracey Eakin, plant-based nutrition counselor; Uma Purighalla, MD; Kim Pierce, St. Clair Hospital; and John Girod, South Hills Cardiology, will present a plant-based dinner and seminar at 7 p.m. April 24 in the Dunlap Conference Center, St. Clair Hospital.
Fee is $15. Call 724-469-0693 to register.
South Arts will hold art classes for adults and children at the Historic Schoolhouse, Bethel Park:
• Landscape in Pastel with Gail Beem, Clothed Figure Drawing with Brian McDermott, Beginning/Intermediate Watercolor, Watercolor Happy Hour, Watercolor Imagination for ages 9-14, and Explorations with Laura Lutton, Water Media/acrylics with Susan Barr, Drawing for Absolute Beginner with Jack Puglisi.
• Open painting, 10 a.m. Fridays.
For details, call Sally Cordis at 412-831-8156.
Just Dance Conservatory, Imperial, will begin belly dancing classes at 10 a.m. April 6. For details, call 724-695-2239.