Two fundraising events planned at Christ U.M.
Christ U.M. Church, Bethel Park, will hold the following events in April:
• Spaghetti dinner fundraiser, 5-7 p.m. April 11. Pasta, marinara sauce, meatballs, salad, dessert. Cost is $6/adults, $3/under 12, free for under 3.
• Women’s Book Group, 3:30 p.m. April 17. Discuss “Cutting for Stone” by Abraham Verghese.
• Rethinking Resurrection, 9:30 a.m. April 14.
• Concert fundraiser, 7:30 p.m. April 13. Debbie Schneider (piano), Charles May (violin), Mary Amrhein-May (cello), Jim Caprio (guitar) and Amanda Sage (flute). A cookie reception will follow. Freewill offering with support to Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation and music ministries of Christ Church. Night of Champions
St. Thomas More Parish, Bethel Park, will sponsor the 2013 Extravaganza “A Night of Champions” at 7 p.m. April 12 at the St. Clair Country Club. Basket raffle, silent auction.
For information, call 412-851-1144.
Book review class
Jack Aupperle will offer a book review series at First Bethel United Methodist Church at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays in April in the Susanna Wesley Lounge. It is not necessary to have read the book in order to benefit from and participate in the discussion phase of each session.
Sessions include: “Quiet Strength” by Tony Dungy, April 10, an inspiring book about the life and values of Tony Dungy; “Blood, Guts and Prayer” by Michael Keane, April 17; “Sum it Up” by Pat Summit, April 24.
Community of Christ, Bethel Park, will sponsor Dinner for a Dollar 5-7 p.m. April 11. Cost for the spaghetti dinner is $1 or $3 for a family. For more information, call 412-443-2100.
Evening of song
Vocalist Frank LaVelle will present an evening of song at 7:30 p.m. April 20 at Wallace Memorial Presbyterian Church, Green Tree. A freewill offering will be taken.
LaVelle offers a repertoire of show tunes, popular standards and religious numbers.
The Organ Artists Series (OAS) of Pittsburgh will present organist Martin Neary in concert at 4 p.m. April 21 at Calvary Episcopal Church. This concert is in cooperation with the Donald C. McVay Organ Recital Series.
With a professional career as an organist that dates back to 1965, Neary served as the organist at Westminster Abby, Lowndon, from 1988 to 1999, where he gained recognition as one of England’s finest organists and choral directors. He was also musical director of the 1997 funeral service for Diana, Princess of Wales.
A reception with light refreshments and hors d’oeuvres follows the concert. Parking is available adjacent to the venue. Tickets, available at the door or in advance, are $12 for adults and $5 for students. For more information or to preorder tickets, visit www.oas-series.com or call 412-242-2787.
Baldwin United Methodist Church will offer a three-day trip to Allenberry & Gettysburg Sept. 26-28.
Cost per person is $531 single occupancy, $435/double and $376/triple and includes transportation, lodging, meals and all stops listed, baggage handling, taxes, guide, meal and driver gratuity.
A $100 deposit per person is required. Final payment due by Aug. 20. For cancellation/refund or other information, call Elaine Lewis at 412-885-4560.
Wrights United Methodist Church, Venetia, will hold a Schwan’s Truckload Sale from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. April 20.
Purchase products directly from the Schwan’s truck or preorder by calling 1-888-724-9267 or visiting schwansfundraising.com and using campaign ID 42701.
Preorders will ensure that your item is in stock and will be pre-packaged for you to pick up on the date of the sale – payment at pickup. Gift cards can also be purchased and mailed directly to you. Proceeds benefit Wright’s Youth Summer Camp program.
Chabad of the South Hills, Mt. Lebanon, will offer Curious Tales of the Talmud, a new six-week course from the Rohr Jewish Learning that will give insight to recognize the pervading goodness within everything, courage to navigate life’s most rugged moments, and an appreciation of the Jewish literary heritage.
The course will be held at 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays, beginning April 24, or 10:15 a.m. Sundays, beginning April 21.
For more information or to register, call 412-344-2424 or visit www.chabadsh.com.
Peters Creek Baptist Church, South Park, will offer the following:
• Men’s Bible study, 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The topic is “Battling Unbelief.”
• Women’s Evening Bible Study, 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Explore the book “Beloved Disciple.”
• Women’s Daytime Bible Study, 9:30-11 a.m. Tuesdays. Explore the book “James: Mercy Triumphs.”
• Wednesday groups begin with dinner from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Classes are offered for all ages.
• GriefShare classes, 10-11:30 a.m. Saturdays.
For more information, call 412-833-6111.
The Bible Chapel, McMurray, plans the following events:
• Women’s Tea, 10 a.m. April 20, Family Life Center. Guest speaker will be Marsha Pleta. Bring a favorite mug or teacup. Cost is $10. Register at biblechapel.org.
• National Drug Take Back, 5 p.m. April 17, and 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. April 20 and 21 in the main lobby before and after services. Peters Township Police will be at the church to take collections of outdated medications of any kind without any questions.
• “God’s Not Dead,” featuring Newsboys, All Things New and Campbell, 7 p.m. April 25 at the Worship Center. Limited general admission tickets are available in the Chapter 2 Bookstore inside The Bible Chapel.
• Wing Night – Saturday Nights in the Café, 5:30 p.m. April 27. Wings will be served before and after the service, and live music and fellowship will follow the service. Dinner special will include four wings (choice of three flavors) and a side. Connections Café is now accepting debit cards.
• VITA income tax preparation, 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday-Friday, through April 15, Room 180.
FREE Income tax preparation for senior citizens and low-income individuals. First-come, first-serve basis. Phone calls or emails will not be accepted. No numbers given out past 2 p.m.
For more information, visit www.biblechapel.org.
Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, will hold The Prodigal God: A Bible Study at 10 a.m. Thursdays.
For more information, call 412-835-6630.
Legacy Baptist Church, located in Accelerando Music Conservatory, Canonsburg, holds Sunday services at 11 a.m. and 12:45 p.m.
• Choir practice starts at 10:10 a.m.; Sunday school starts at 10:30 a.m. Bible study is held at 7 p.m. Thursdays. For more information, call 724-621-6785 or visit www.legacybaptistchurch.us.
Hamilton Presbyterian Church, Bethel Park, offers weekly contemporary service 6 p.m. Saturdays. Music will feature a band led by Tom Coyne and supported by local vocalists. • Adult classes begin at 7 p.m. Wednesdays. Topics include anger management, divorce care, marriage enrichment and healing is a choice.
• GriefShare, 10 a.m. or 7 p.m. Thursdays. Cost is $15.
• The Hamilton Youth Group, “The God Squad,” is open to all teens. The group meets from 6:30-8 p.m. Sundays, September-May. Adult leadership, both employed and volunteer, is needed.
For more information, call 412-884-2722.
Jesus Fellowship Church, Bethel Park, presents Paradosi Ballet Company “Awakening: A Night of Worship and Testimony” at 7 p.m. April 25. Join Paradosi, the first professional Christian ballet company in the northwestern United States, for an evening of worship, testimony and prayer.
Call 412-854-3137 to reserve a ticket. Cost is $12.
To view a promo video, visit www.jfbp.net.
Two fundraising events planned at Christ U.M.
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
SF, USC headline Almanac Premier Pigskin Performers (294)
Brumbaugh, Watson named Almanac MVPs (101)
Second arrest made in Mt. Lebanon shooting (95)
Paint-your-own pottery: a fun indoor activity (94)
Dudzinski smashes AMS records (78)
Second arrest made in Mt. Lebanon shooting (186)
Brumbaugh, Watson named Almanac MVPs (172)
SF, USC headline Almanac Premier Pigskin Performers (88)
Dudzinski smashes AMS records (86)
Deaths – Dec. 25 (21)
Say no to SB 76 (7)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
USC man charged with obstruction of justice (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)
Drunk driving mothers deserve jail time (1)