Getting Together – April 17
• Learn Characteristics of a Leader with Dr. Jay L. Schlott, Ph.D., 7 p.m. April 23-adults; 7 p.m. April 30-middle/high school students.
• Wise Walk in South Park, ages 50+, 9:30 a.m. Thursdays starting April 25. Kick-off meeting 10 a.m. April 25 at the library.
• Art class demo with Margo Barraclough, 2 p.m. April 25. Get tips to paint/draw.
• Grandparents Raising Grandchildren with Sister Georgine Scarpino, 10 a.m. April 19.
• Preschool Storytime, 10 a.m. April 22.
• Chess Club, adults, 11 a.m. April 24. Bring lunch.
• Journal making, teens, 4:30 p.m. April 18. Supplies provided.
• Independent Princess Night, 6 p.m. April 23. Stories, games, adventure.
• Anime/Manga Club, teens, 4:30 p.m. April 25. Books, games, movies, snacks.
• Boys Only Yucky Stories, 6 p.m. April 30. Things slimy, stinky and silly.
• Changing for Good with holistic health coach Emily Levenson, 7 p.m. April 30. Learn to reframe failure into success. Free.
• What Makes a Rare Book Rare, 7 p.m. May 2. Appraiser John Schulman will assess the value of a special book, map, newspaper or magazine. Registration required.
• Donations of gently-used paperbacks, hardbacks, CDs and DVDs are being collected for the annual book sale.
• CHAIRity Sale and Social, 6 p.m. April 19.
• Carnegie Screenwriters Group, 10 a.m. April 20.
• Book Cellar 2-Day clearance, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. April 20, 1:30-3:30 p.m. April 21.
• Fantastic Trash, ages 3-6, 1:30-5 p.m. April 21. Recycled crafts.
• Health Care Law at a glance, 10 a.m. April 20.
• Just Dance Party, 3 p.m. April 20. Teen room.
• Culinary Creations, 11 a.m. April 20. Make great treats.
• Steelers Tailgate Party with Chuck Finder, author of “The Steelers Encyclopedia,” 6:30 p.m. April 24. Refreshments, games, raffle.
• World Book Night, April 23.
• Adult Book Club, 6:30 p.m. April 22. Read “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother” by Amy Chua.
• Writers Unleashed, grades 5-8, Saturdays. Write novels, scripts, share word count goals and brainstorm with other writers. Email email@example.com.
• E-Reader drop-in sessions, 6 p.m. April 24. Support for Kindles, Nooks, iPads.
• Book sale, 6-8 p.m. April 18; 10-7 p.m. April 19, 10-3 p.m. April 20. Saturday will be $5 bag sale. Proceeds benefit the library. Books, records, albums, tapes, games, toys, puzzles, stuffed animals.
• Hello Kitty-Think Pink, K-second grade, 1:30 p.m. April 20. Crafts, games, snacks.
• Beading/design group, 6 p.m. April 24. Semi-precious stones available for purchase.
• Ninjago Training Camp, 2 p.m. April 25. Make swords and nunchucks.
John McMillan Church Preschool, Bethel Park, will host a Spring Carnival 11 a.m.-2 p.m. May 4. Games, hair/face painting, Moon Walk, raffle and cafe are planned. Bethel Park Police will enroll children in Safety Kids Child I.D. For details, call Pat Folino at 412-833-4704.
Temple Emanuel Early Childhood Development Center, Mt. Lebanon, offers extended hours for the 2013-14 term. Child care goes from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Openings are available in First Experience, toddlers, 3s, 4s, transition and kindergarten enrichment. Children enjoy music, movement, library and science specials.
To visit a class, call 412-279-7687.
St. David Preschool, Peters Township, is accepting enrollments for the 2013-14 term. Morning classes are open for 2s and 3s. Afternoon classes are open for all preschoolers. Summer mini-camps and vacation Bible school is also available. For details, call 724-413-0490.
PA Connecting Communities will sponsor a fashion show and brunch at 11 a.m. April 28 at the Rivers Casino. PACC offers a variety of opportunities to individuals who need special supports to live at home and within the community as independent as possible.
For details, visit www.paconnectingcommunities.org.
Phipps Conservatory will open its butterfly forest on April 20. Check out live monarchs and zebra longwings to name two species. Hours are 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Fridays. Learn more at phipps.conservatory.org.
Uptown Mt. Lebanon Farmers Market has planned five craft beer events at Mt. Lebanon restaurants. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Farmers Market.
• Beer specials April 19-27, Walnut Grill and The Saloon, Washington Road
• Beer tasting, Vecenies Distributing/Pittsburgh Brewmasters, April 23.
• Beer dinner, Cafe IO, Beverly Road, April 24.
• Beer tasting, Atria’s, Beverly Road, April 24.
• Bado’s, Beverly Road, April 25.
PNC Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy Spring Hat Luncheon will be held May 4 at Schenley Park Overlook.
Tickets are $225 purchased by April 15 and $250 after that date. The luncheon has raised more than $5.5 million to benefit Pittsburgh’s park system. For tickets, call 412-682-7275.
Hair Peace Charities will host Soergel’s Ladies Night at 7 p.m. April 26. Sample food and wine and enjoy being pampered.
Cost is $20. For tickets, call 724-935-1743.
Feedback is needed on starting a Hair Peace Women’s Group in the South Hills. Where to meet, what evening, how often? Volunteers will also be needed to coordinate speakers. To respond, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tulips & Tea
Angels’ Place will host its first Treasures, Tulips & Tea at 2 p.m. April 28 at Edgewood Country Club. Women’s fashion accessories will be featured. Jennifer Abney, WPXI-TV, will emcee.
Tickets are $45. Registration begins at 1 p.m. Proceeds will support student parents who are low-income, single and attending school full-time and their children birth to 5 years old.
Books and educational items will be available 8 a.m.-4 p.m. April 25, 26 in the main lobby of Canonsburg General Hospital.
Walk for Life
Pregnancy Resource Center will host its annual Walk for Life May 18 at Kandy Kaleidoscope, Kennywood. Check in at 8:45; walk starts at 9:30 a.m.
For details, visit www.prcsh.org or call 412-833-5309.
Upper St. Clair League for the Arts will feature Joe Winkler in the exhibit of new fine art April 26-May 5. The opening reception is set for 8 p.m. April 26 at the Galleria.
The third painting in Joe’s “classic car hood ornament series” will be available for purchase.
For details, visit www.joewinklerart.com.
The Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh will hold auditions for all voice parts. Volunteers will be heard May 8, 9. Professional Core members will be heard May 10-12 at Third Presbyterian Church, Pittsburgh. Review criteria at www.themendelssohn.org then call MaryColleen Seip at 724-263-5259.
Pathways Wellness will hold a program on wellness trends/ideas for schools, May 3, Southpointe Golf Club. For teachers, nurses, business managers.
For details, call Laura Rentler at 412-563-7825.
The Arthritis Foundation will offer Tai Chi classes Thursdays April 18-June 6 at the Collier Twp. Community Room in Presto. Intermediate class begins at 10 a.m. Beginner class starts at 11 a.m. Residents pay $72; nonresidents pay $80. For details, call 412-279-2525.
Musuneggi Financial Group will host Social Security, Getting the Most out of your Benefits at 6 p.m. April 29 at Crowne Plaza, Fort Couch Road. Call 412-341-2888.
Getting Together – April 17
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Dance class gets amputees back on their feet (82)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (60)
Mining at former Mayview site denied (44)
Tots test toys (43)
Kiernan named Almanac MVP (39)
Kiernan named Almanac MVP (212)
New special ed director for Lebo schools (124)
Higher school taxes possible in USC (104)
Mining at former Mayview site denied (83)
Peters adopts new comprehensive plan (68)
USC questions new progress ratings (1)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)