Getting Together – April 24
South Hills Chamber of Commerce will hold an After Hours ConneXions Mixer at Arlecchino’s in McMurray 5 to 7 p.m. April 25. Cash donation is $5 for the scholarship fund.
Grand networking event 6 to 8 p.m. May 2 at Max & Erma’s ribbon cutting on Cochran Road. Entertainment will be provided by the Keystone Oaks Jazz Band, Bob Banerjee and Butters Kissing Company. Raffle winner gets free burgers for a year. Cash donation is $5 for the scholarship fund.
Alpha Omega Master chapter of Bet Sigma Phi will hold its Founder’s Day dinner on April 25 at Palazzo Restaurant.
St. Thomas More Book Discussion Group will meet at 10 a.m. May 13 in the Family Life Center, Bethel Park. Discuss “The Art Forger” by Barbara A. Shapiro. The novel’s basis is the March 18, 1990, heist of 13 works of art from the Isabella Stewart Gardener Museum in Boston. The paintings have not been recovered.
Bridgeville Area Historical Society will meet at 7:30 p.m. April 30 in the Chartiers Room, Bridgeville Vol. Fire Department. Local author Jim O’Brien will speak on the “Immaculate Reflections on Pittsburgh.”
• 4th Thursday Book Group at Napoli’s, 6 p.m. April 25. Read “Long Drive Home” by Will Allison.
• Free Wills Clinic, 5 p.m. April 25. Help for senior citizens and income-eligible individuals. Prepare wills, living wills and powers of attorney. Call ahead.
• Rent Rebate Application Assistance, 11 a.m. April 29. Call for an appointment.
• Book Discussion, 7 p.m. May 13. Read “The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland” by Jim DeFede.
• Organizing attic workshop, 7 p.m. April 25. Garage workshop, 1 p.m. May 14., 7 p.m. May 23.
• Toddler Time, 10:15 a.m. May 3. Tail wagging tutor (Yorkie therapy dog); Edible Art, 10:15 a.m. May 17; Bugs & Critters, 10:15 a.m. May 31.
• Knitting Club, 6 p.m. Fridays.
• Private computer classes, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday afternoons. Call 724-745-4300.
• Friends meetings are held at 6:30 p.m. the third Wednesday of every month. Board meetings are held at 6:30 p.m. the second Wednesday.
•PALS Book Club, 10 a.m. April 26.
• Shakespeare for Kids by Kids, actors ages 10-15, 2:30 p.m. April 27.
• Yoga for Children, ages 2-5, 10 a.m. April 30. Call 412-531-1912.
• I Can Make That Out of This?, 3 p.m. April 25. Make things out of recycled materials.
• Basic Computer Graphics, 7 p.m. April 30. Cost is $5.
• Author Todd DePastino will speak on his book “Bill Mauldin: A Life Up Front” at 7 p.m. May 9.
• Battle of the Books, grades four-six, 1 p.m. April 27.
• Ink cartridge recycling available at the library.
• Preschool Science with caregivers, 10:30 a.m. May 2, 9. Fee is $5.
Upper St. Clair
• Health Benefits of Juicing with health counselor Janet McKee, 7 p.m. May 2. Fee is $15 for food and materials. Call 412-835-5540.
An open house and pancake breakfast will be held 8 to 11:30 a.m. April 27 at the Venetia Community Center in Peters. Breakfast is $6/adults and $3/under age 10. The model railroad will be displayed 8 a.m. until noon. for details, Call 724-348-6504.
Outdoors in spring
Washington County Parks will hold Spring into the Outdoors at 1 p.m. April 27 and 28 at Mingo Creek Park. Enjoy geo caching, orienteering, birding, wildflowers, flint knappin and astronomy. No fee. To register and to receive an itinerary, call 724-228-6867.
Peters Township Rec Center will hold a free open house 1 to 3 p.m. April 27. Learn about Zumba, basketball, yoga, kids’ art classes, ballroom dancing and the walk/run track.
Day with Herbs
Wheeling Civic Garden Center, Oglebay Park, will hold its annual Day with Herbs at 11 a.m. May 3. Lunch, sale of plants, door prizes and speaker will fill this 28th event. Cost is $15. Call 304-242-0665 to register before April 29.
Commonwealth Computer Recycling will provide free computer and electronics recycling 4 to 7 p.m. April 25 at the Canton Township Municipal Building in Washington. Televisions will not be accepted at this event. For details, call 866-925-2354.
Walk for Life
Pregnancy Resource Center will host its annual Walk for Life May 18 at Kandy Kaleidoscope, Kennywood. Check in at 8:45; walk starts at 9:30 a.m. For details, visit www.prcsh.org or call 412-833-5309.
Washington Symphony Orchestra, under the direction of conductor Yugo Ikach, will present a country jamboree at 8 p.m. May 4 at Trinity High School. Enjoy favorites such as themes from Bonanza, Shenandoah or Tennessee Waltz.
U.S. Rep. Tim Murphy will demonstrate his guitar playing and singing. Call 724-223-9796
South Arts will celebrate Cinco de Mayo 6 to 9 p.m. May 4 at the historic Schoolhouse in Bethel Park. Mexican-style food will be available for the whole family. Tickets are $10
The Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh will hold auditions for all voice parts. Volunteers will be heard May 8, 9. Professional Core members will be heard May 10-12 at Third Presbyterian Church, Pittsburgh. Review criteria at www.themendelssohn.org then call MaryColleen Seip at 724-263-5259.
Asbury Heights, Mt. Lebanon will offer a lecture as part of the Asbury’s Ruth E. Mickle Lecture Series at 6 p.m. May 9. Stephanie A. Studenski, MD, professor/University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, will present Engineering Better Mobility in Old Age.
To RSVP, call Courtney Kartman at 412-571-5106.
Pathways Wellness will hold wellness events as follows:
• Wellness trends/ideas for schools, May 3, Southpointe Golf Club. For teachers, nurses, business managers.
• Where to Turn Resource Fair, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 23, David L. Lawrence Convention Center. For social workers, nurses, service coordinators.
For details, call Laura Rentler at 412-563-7825.
Monongahela Valley Hospital sponsors the following programs:
• Picnic Foods, 1-3 p.m. May 7.
To register, call 724-258-1483.
Tracey Eakin will provide insight to plant-based living, cooking and food samples. Learn how to control high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, weight at the Peters Township Rec. Center.
Hours are 6:30 p.m. May 16, 30, June 13, 27.
For details, call 724-942-5000.
Classes for kids
Peters Township Parks and Recreation sponsors the following programs:
• Magical & Kreate for Lil Artists, ages 4-5, 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. Tuesdays
• Balloon Twisting Art, ages 7-15, 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Zumbatomic, ages 8-12, 6:15 p.m. Wednesdays. Shake, wiggle, giggle to fitness.
For details, call 724-942-5000.
Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, plans the following programs:
• When Kids Become Teens: What’s a Parent to do?, 7 p.m. April 24.
• Date Night - Strengthen Your Marriage, 6:30 p.m. May 3. Refreshments and child care provided.
For details, call 412-835-6630.