School News – May 1
The five Bethel Park School District elementary schools will hold kindergarten orientation for students who will be starting kindergarten in the fall, and their parents.
• Memorial Elementary School (South Park Road, 412-854-8506) – 9:45-11:15 a.m. May 7.
• George Washington Elementary School (Clifton Road, 412-854-8546) – 9:45-11 a.m. May 14.
• Abraham Lincoln Elementary School (Hamilton Road, 412-854-8618) – 9:30 a.m. May 15.
• Benjamin Franklin Elementary School (Florida Avenue, 412-854-6741) – 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. May 16.
• William Penn Elementary School (Woodlet Lane, 412-854-8522) – 9:30 a.m. May 16.
Children who will be age 5 on or before Sept. 1 are eligible to begin kindergarten in the fall. Parents who have not registered their children for kindergarten are encouraged to contact their child’s school in advance of the kindergarten orientation date and register their child.
Evening with the Arts
Peters Township High School will hold An Evening with the Arts on May 7 at the high school.
The evening will feature an art show from 5-7:30 p.m. and a choral concert from 7:30-9:30 p.m.
On hand will be displays from the high school art students, family and consumer science, media, music, tech ed and theater, as well as the Interact Club and SPEARS group.
Mark Debski of Bethel Park High School has been awarded a scholarship from the Blackwood Theatre Organ Society. Mark was one of six tri-state high school seniors awarded a 2013 scholarship.
The Blackwood Theater Organ Society is a not-for- profit organization created to encourage students to pursue instrumental music performance careers. Mark, who plays the oboe, was awarded the scholarship following an audition at Heinz Hall on March 10.
In addition, he was named Most Outstanding Concert Soloist at Festival Disney in 2011. He has performed with the National Youth Orchestra USA, Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra and Three Rivers Young Peoples Orchestra. Debski has been principal with PMEA honors, district, region bands and PMEA district, region and all-state orchestras, winner of the Pittsburgh Concert Society Young Artists Competition, and many other awards and accomplishments. Debski hopes to pursue a career performing for a symphony orchestra.
The award winners will perform at a recital at 2 p.m. May 19 at the Blackwood Estate in Harrisville, Pa. The recital is free.
For applications, deadlines and other information for the 2014 Blackwood Theatre Organ Society scholarships, visit blackwoodmusic.org or contact Ben Robertson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-735-2813.
Coast Guard appointment
The United States Coast Guard Academy announced that Katherine Hart of Mt. Lebanon has been recognized for superior academic achievement and leadership potential. Katherine, who attends Seton-La Salle Catholic High School, has accepted an appointment to attend the Coast Guard Academy and will be sworn in as a member of the Class of 2017 on July 1. She will play basketball for the Coast Guard Bears.
Katherine is the daughter of Mark and Patrice Hart and granddaughter of and Helen and the late James Smith of Mt. Lebanon, and James Hart of Pittsburgh.
Christina Zalewski of Canonsburg, a junior at The Williston Northampton School, was named to the honor roll.
School News – May 1
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Paint-your-own pottery: a fun indoor activity (12)
South Fayette headed to Hershey (12)
Bridgeville, South Fayette libraries merging (10)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (9)
Scheuble to fill vacant BP school board seat (8)
USC questions new progress ratings (1)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)