Getting Together – May 1
South Hills Aglow will meet at 7 p.m. May 20 at South Hills Assembly, Bethel Park. Preacher and teacher, Pastor June Jeffries will be the speaker. A minimal room fee will be charged.
Countryside Book Club will meet at noon May 7 at the home of Janet Barger. Sandy Galambas will review “Blood Tracks” by Karen Rose Cercone.
WOMEN (Women Organized to Mentor, Empower and Network) is accepting funding requests for local nonprofit 501(c)(3) charitable and community organizations. Service must be provided in Allegheny, Washington, Fayette or Greene counties, receive no federal funds for the specific projects, benefit women, families or women’s interests. Applicants are to send a letter identifying the organization’s purpose or mission statement, attach a copy of nonprofit status, specify the amount requested (up to $2,500) and state the intent of the grant. Submit to WOMEN of Southwestern PA, Inc. c/o Philanthropy Committee, P.O. Box 1112, McMurray, PA 15317.
Xi Zeta Tau
Members of Xi Zeta Tau will meet at 7 p.m. May 2 in the home of MaryEllen Ruby. The Order of the Rose ritual will be performed. Officers for 2013-14 are Kristen-president; Sue-vice president; Daryl-recording secretary; MaryLou-corresponding secretary; MaryEllen-treasurer.
For details, call 412-851-9654.
• Oasis Connections Computer two-hour courses for age 50+.
• Preschool Math & Science, 11 a.m. Thursdays May 9-30.
• Computer Survival Skills, 10 a.m. May 10.
• Author of “The Star Child” and “The Fallen Stars,” Stephanie Keyes, 11 a.m. May 11. Learn tips to get started, outline and plot.
• American Girl Book Club, second-fifth grade, 6:30 p.m. May 2. Crafts, games, activities.
• Book Sale, 1-8 p.m. May 2.
• Babies and Books, 10 a.m. May 3. Up to 24 months. Stories, songs, fingerplays.
• Acoustic Open Mic/Craft Beer Swap, 6:30 p.m. May 5. Open mic will be held every other Sunday evening through summer. Bring your favorite craft selections to share with other craft beer aficionados.
• New release movie, 2:45 p.m. May 2. Watch a romantic comedy starring Jennifer Lawrence.
• Stencil-a-Shirt, ages 10-18, 6 p.m. May 7. Bring a shirt, bag or shoes. Supplies provided.
• Intro to Computers, 10:15 a.m. May 6, 13, 20.
• Kindle Klass, 5:30 p.m. May 8, 29. Learn to use e-Books and Kindle.
• Senior Lunch/Learn, 11:30 a.m. May 10. Learn to make art out of old books.
• Children’s summer reading program is 10:30 a.m. June 21-Aug. 16. “Dig Into Reading” will explore dinosaurs, bugs, Native Americans and ancient Egyptians. Businesses can sponsor a day of reading for $50.
• Spanish literature/conversation, 10 a.m. Mondays.
• Italian Conversation, 10 a.m. Thursdays.
• Slovak Heritage, 7 p.m. May 6. Learn customs from Christmas to Easter.
• First-time Homebuyer Seminar, 7 p.m. May 8.
• Real Women of the Mason Dixon Line, 7 p.m. May 8.
• After Hours Movie Night, 5 p.m. May 3. Watch “Parental Guidance.”
• Teen Book Club, noon, May 4. Discuss “Th1rteen R3easons Why” by Jay Asher.
• Scratch Board Techniques, ages 6-13, 4 p.m. May 7-21. Cost is $15.
• Couponing Club, 6 p.m. May 7, 21. Swap coupons, exchange ideas.
• Meet local candidates, 10 a.m. May 4.
• Quilting 101 & Beyond, 6 p.m. May 7.
• Book Bingo, K-eighth grade, 7 p.m. May 9.
• Tales ‘n Tunes, ages 3-5, 10:30 a.m. Fridays in May.
• Chess Club, K-eighth grade, 5:30 p.m. and 6:45 p.m. Tournament is 1 p.m. May 11.
• Mother Goose Story Time, 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays/Wednesdays in May.
• e-Reader Drop-in Help, 6 p.m. May 8, 22. Kindles, Nooks, iPads.
• Knitting Group meets at 11 a.m. May 11.
• Book Club, 7 p.m. May 16. Discuss “Mudbound” by Hillary Jordan.
Upper St. Clair
• Healthy Desserts with Janet McKee, 7 p.m. May 9. Fee is $15 for food and materials.
Washington County Parks will offer a bike hike for 3-5 year olds and adults May 7 and 8. Sessions are available at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Ride the bike trail at Mingo Creek Park. Bring a helmet. Fee is $1. To register, call 724-228-6867.
State Rep. Brandon Neuman will sponsor a free shredding event 9 a.m.-noon May 11 at 1825 Washington Road in Washington. Dispose of no longer needed documents that contain personal information. No taxpayer money is being used for this service. For details, call 724-743-7602.
Celebrate Mother’s Day with Dreadnought Wines 6-8 p.m. May 11 at The Enrico Biscotti Cafe on Penn Avenue in the Strip District. An Italian wine five-course dinner will be paired with boutique Italian wines. Cost is $70 per person. For reservations, call 412-391-1709.
Horses Unlimited in South Park will hold mini pony camps for ages 5-9 at the Green Barn. Camps will be held 1-3 p.m. May 4, 5, 11, 12. Sessions are $35 per child. Learn to groom, saddle and care for ponies. To register, call 412-835-7726.
Third Street Gallery, Carnegie, will sponsor The Carnegie Crawl, 5-8 p.m. on May 10, June 14, July 12 and Aug. 9. Explore the town.
At 9 p.m., the 3rd Street Jazz Ensemble will entertain. Cost is $15 at the door. For details, call 412-276-5233.
Pet Search will hold a Rabies Plus Clinic 9 a.m.-4 p.m. May 5 at 915 Jessop Place, Washington. Rabies vaccine will be available for cats and dogs for $6. Dog DHLPP (booster), Bordatella, Lyme, Cat FCRCP (booster) and Leukemia vaccinations are also available. Microchipping is $25.
For details, call 724-228-7335.
Pittsburgh Area Theatre Organ Society will present the classic Harold Lloyd silent film, “The Kid Brother” at 2 p.m. May 4 at the Keystone Oaks High School Auditorium. Clark Wilson will accompany on the Mighty Wurlitizer Theatre Pipe Organ. Advance tickets are $15, $20 at the door. Students and children are free with adult admission. Call 412-241-8108.
Walk for Life
Pregnancy Resource Center will host its annual Walk for Life May 18 at Kandy Kaleidoscope, Kennywood. Check in at 8:45 a.m.; walk starts at 9:30 a.m.
For details, call 412-833-5309 or visit www.prcsh.org.
The 2013 Highmark Walk for a Healthy Community Pittsburgh will begin May 18 at Stage AE on the North Shore. Refreshments, entertainment, prizes and activities for kids are planned after the walk. Strollers and wheelchairs are welcome. Registered walkers who raise or donate $25 will receive a Walk T-shirt.
Team captains are needed. Get 10 persons to support the cause with a $10 donation. For details, email email@example.com.
South Arts will celebrate Cinco de Mayo 6 to 9 p.m. May 4 at the historic Schoolhouse in Bethel Park. Dinner will include Mexican-style food for the whole family. Tickets are $10.
The Cinco de Mayo art show will run through June 1. Hours are noon-4 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays.
The Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh will hold auditions for all voice parts. Volunteers will be heard May 8, 9. Professional Core members will be heard May 10-12 at Third Presbyterian Church, Pittsburgh. Review criteria at www.themendelssohn.org then call MaryColleen Seip at 724-263-5259.
South Hills Chamber of Commerce and West Jefferson Hills Chamber of Commerce will offer the latest information on the Healthcare Act at 9 a.m. May 15 at Community College of Allegheny County, West Mifflin. Cost is $10, a donation to the scholarship fund. For details, call 412-306-8090.
Asbury Heights, Mt. Lebanon will offer a lecture as part of the Asbury’s Ruth E. Mickle Lecture Series at 6 p.m. May 9. Stephanie A. Studenski, MD, professor/University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, will present Engineering Better Mobility in Old Age. To RSVP, call Courtney Kartman at 412-571-5106.
American Liver Foundation will offer free Hepatitis C screenings 10 a.m.-2 p.m. May 4, 11, 18 at the Giant Eagle Pharmacy, South Hills Market District, Bethel Park. The Centers for Disease Control recommend that the baby boomer population should be tested for Hepatitis C.
Monongahela Valley Hospital sponsors a program on picnic foods, 1-3 p.m. May 7. To register, call 724-258-1483.
Crossroads Church of Christ will sponsor a Life Line stroke screening May 8 at the Chartiers Township Vol. Fire Department. To register, call 1-800-364-0457.
The Arthritis Foundation will offer Tai Chi Thursdays through June 6 at the Collier Twp. Community Room in Presto. Intermediate class begins at 10 a.m. Beginner class begins at 11 a.m. Residents pay $72; nonresidents pay $80. For details, call 412-279-2525.
Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, offers aerobics, low-impact, strength training, yoga and Zumba for all ages and skills.
For details, call 412-835-6630.
Learn about wines
Dreadnought Wine in the Strip District will host Wine & Spirit Education Trust classes for wine enthusiasts.
• Level One Award in Wines, 6 p.m. on four Mondays in June.
For details, call 412-391-1709.