Getting Together – May 22
Giant Oaks Garden Club will meet June 6 at Simmons Farm. Jan Simmons will offer a workshop on container arranging.
Chris Holt will teach techniques on floral arranging using moss and other natural materials. For details, call 412-746-4664.
• Intro to Integrated Energy Therapy with Ruth Lorena for adults, kids and pets, 7 p.m. May 29.
• Conversation Salon, 10 a.m. June 7. Exchange ideas, thoughts and opinions.
• Writers Group, 7 p.m. June 11. Get inspiration and constructive criticism.
• Tech help, one-on-one for intro to Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, email, social networking and computers.
• How to Prepare for Your Property Assessment Appeal, 6 p.m. May 23.
• Prepare a Will, 5 p.m. May 23. Wills, living wills and powers of attorney.
• Buggy Nights, 6 p.m. May 28. Bug crafts and games.
• Teen Movie Night, 6 p.m. May 30. Based on the book by Kami Garcia.
• Register for summer reading club noon-4 p.m. June 1
• Professional Organizer series with Donna Rossa, 6:30 p.m. Mondays in June. Cost is $5 per class or $12 for all.
• Summer reading kick-off, 4:30 p.m. June 12. Refreshments and dino-egg hunt, puppet show at 6:30 p.m.
• Bring newspaper, junk mail and catalogs to the paper retriever in the parking lot.
• Beginner Spanish eight-week course at 10 a.m. starting June 15. Ages 18 and older. Fee is $35 Call 412-921-9292.
• Social Security Rescue, 7 p.m. May 28. Learn current changes and benefits.
• Learn how fear effects lives, businesses and careers, 7 p.m. May 30.
• Learn Slovak Folklore/Crafts with Larry Kozlowski, 7 p.m. June 3.
• Sahaja Meditation, 7:30 p.m. Mondays beginning June 3.
• PowerPoint Presentations, 7 p.m. May 28. Cost is $5.
• World War II discussion, 11 a.m. May 29.
• Teen Flashback Movie Night, 6 p.m. May 30. Watch “The Goonies.” Call 724-941-9430.
• Parkinson Primer, 1:30 p.m. Tuesdays in June. Gain a better understanding of the disease.
Upper St. Clair
• I’m Sorry for Your Loss with Lillian L. Meyers, Ph.D., 7 p.m. June 3.
• Registration for all summer reading programs begins June 5.
Thomas Christian Preschool has openings for the fall 2013 term. Classes are available for 2, 3 and 4 year olds. Call Terri Kleinhans at 724-941-8910 for details.
John McMillan Preschool, Bethel Park, celebrates 40 years by introducing two new programs. Three year olds may attend two or three days each week 9-11:30 a.m. Lunch (from home) and Learning will enable 4 and 5 year olds to stay 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays.
Small group cooperative learning experiences will be offered. For details, call 412-833-4704.
Word Savers Club, students from Independence Middle School, Bethel Park, will sponsor a free electronics recycling event 3-6 p.m. May 23 at 309 Church Road, Bethel Park. Recycle desktop computers, laptops, tablets, servers, hard drives, mobile devices, consumer electronics and computer accessories.
The 12th annual North Strabane Township Fire Department will host a 5K Run & Walk starting at 8:30 a.m. May 27 at the North Strabane Township Municipal Park. A fun run is scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m. for ages 10 and under.
Penn Brewery will host the Pennsylvania Microbrewers’ 17th Fest on June 1. Sample beers from more than 20 craft breweries. Sessions are planned 1-4 p.m. and 6-9 p.m. Enjoy pulled pork, vegetarian sloppy joes and more. Big Leg Emma and the Flow Band will entertain. Purchase tickets for $50. Portion of the proceeds will benefit Make-A-Wish and the Community Alliance of Spring Garden/East Deutschtown.
Pet first aid
First Aid for Pets class will be held at noon June 1 at the Finleyville Community Center. Learn emergency bleeding, hot/cold emergency, rescue breathing, CPR demo and poisoning. Cost is $15. Includes refreshments.
To register, call 724-941-3991. Proceeds benefit Fluffyjean Fund for Felines.
Travel to Poland
David Motak and Jack Sammuels of Pittsburgh’s Cracow Creche workshop are hosting a 2013 Royal Wedding Tour to Poland June 21-July 2. Travel to Krakow, Prague and Bavaria. Additional stops will include a visit to Czestochowa and the shrine of the Black Madonna, viewing the colossal statue of Pope John Paul II and a Czech folk evening at an historic country inn.
For details, contact Donna Sullivan at email@example.com.
The annual Hosta Show will be held June 1 at Soergel Orchards, Wexford. For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Home Visiting Network will sponsor “Breastfeeding Support and the Home Visitor” 8 a.m.-4 p.m. June 6 at the Allegheny Intermediate Unit, Homestead.
To register, call 412-578-8350 by May 30. Fee is $10 for HVN members and $25 for nonmembers.
Holy Child Catholic School, Bridgeville, will sponsor a blood drive 8 a.m.-2 p.m. May 26 in the gymnasium. The community is asked to donate blood to help replenish the blood supply in honor of 3-year-old Sydney Hawk. Sydney was recently diagnosed with leukemia and will require many units of blood during the next few years.
To schedule an appointment, call Sister Barbara Anne at 412-221-4720.
Pittsburgh Glass Center plans lectures on studio glass art at 6 p.m. May 22 and 29.
• Eunsuh Choi will exhibit her flameworked glass through June 16. Consciousness is the theme.
• Lifeforms exhibit runs through Nov. 17. Artists working in glass may submit an entry.
For details, call 412-365-2145.
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks will sponsor workshops on home repairs at the Landmarks Housing Resource Center, Wilkinsburg:
• Using hand tools for historic preservation projects, 10 am. May 25.
• Repairing moldings, 10 a.m. June 1.
• Hand tool care, 10 a.m. June 8.
To register, call Mary Lu Denny at 412-471-5808 ext. 527.
Learn about wines
Dreadnought Wine in the Strip District will host the following wine classes:
• Seven Deadly Zins, 6 p.m. May 23. Cost is $29.
• Austrian Wines, 6 p.m. May 28. Cost is $29.
For details, call 412-391-1709.