Getting Together – June 5
South Hills Aglow will meet at 7 p.m. June 17 at South Hills Assembly, Bethel Park. The Rev. Lorraine Williams, senior pastor of Christian Community Church of Pittsburgh, will be the speaker. There will be a minimal room fee.
Hair Peace Charities
All women interested in fighting cancer are welcome to attend the Hair Peace Charities empowerment group at 7:30 p.m. June 19 at the Community Life Center Cafe at Ingomar Methodist Church. Amy Soergel from Soergel Orchards will speak on gluten-free food. For details, visit www.ingomarchurch.org.
Women’s Business Network meets as follows:
• Mt. Lebanon chapter will meet at 8:30 a.m. June 11 at the Crowne Plaza, Fort Couch Road. Call Sue Baumgart at 412-759-3965.
• Pittsburgh West chapter will meet at 8 a.m. June 12 at Papa Gallos’s, Bridgeville.
Call Cheryl Lieb at 412-341-7667.
• Oasis Connections Computer Courses, ages 50+. Handbook included. Call for times.
• Try Your Hand at iPad, 10 a.m. June 6 and 7.
• Adult Summer Reading Club starts June 10.
• Mystery Book Group, 11:30 a.m. June 5 at LaBella Bean Coffee House. Read “Think Twice” by Lisa Scottoline.
• Blanket Brigade, 2 p.m. June 11. Make blankets for patients. Bring 1 1/2 yards printed fleece, 1 1/2 yards plain, coordinated fleece or a ready-to-make kit and sharp fabric scissors. No sewing required.
• Chess Club, adults, 11 a.m. June 12.
• Beginner Spanish eight-week course at 10 a.m. starting June 15. Ages 18 and older. Fee is $35
• Judge local pizza as a kick-off for the Teen Book Club at 1 p.m. June 8 at the library.
• College Freshman Survival Guide, 11 a.m. June 11. Based on real-life experiences.
• Knitting Circle, 1:30 p.m. June 12.
• Colorful Guide to Simple Human Happiness, 7 p.m. June 12.
• Clearing the Smoke on Drug Policy in America, 3 p.m. June 13.
• After hours movie night, 5 p.m. June 7. “Mama” will be featured.
• Civil War discussion, 7 p.m. June 9. The Experience of Battle and From Slavery to Freedom.
• Teen Pizza Making Contest, 2 p.m. June 11.
• Colored Pencil Drawing, ages 6-13, 4 p.m. June 11, 18, 25. Cost is $13 plus supplies.
• Conversation Salon, 1 p.m. June 10. Topics are IRS scrutiny of nonprofts and the penalty given to Joan Orie Melvin.
• Book Bingo, K-eighth grade, 7 p.m. June 13.
• Handbag Fun, 10 a.m. June 14, 21. Use your fabric stash.
• Summer Library Open House, 1-4 p.m. June 15.
• Summer Bridge Activities, K-fifth grade, noon June 17.
• Summer Bridge Tutoring, grades nine-12, 11:45 a.m. June 17.
• Book Club, 7 p.m. June 20. Discuss “Undress Me at the Temple of Heaven” by Jane Gilman.
• Adult Summer Reading begins June 24. Read for prizes.
Upper St. Clair
• Art in the Park, 10 a.m. June 7.
• Babies/Toddlers, 10 a.m. Mondays June 17-July 22. Rhymes, songs, interactive play.
Hamilton Church Preschool, Bethel Park, has openings for the 2013-14 term. Classes are offered for 3 and 4-year-olds and a pre-K class for older 4s and young 5 year olds. For details, call 412-884-2722.
North Strabane Township Parks will sponsor movie night at 8:30 p.m. June 16 at the North Strabane Township Municipal Park. Free movie and popcorn.
Washington County Parks will offer a women’s wilderness hike at 10 a.m. June 22 at the Mingo Creek Park office. Ladies Day will begin with a warm-up yoga stretch presented by a trained yoga instructor.
Brunch will be served after the hike. Wear hiking shoes. Bring a large towel for yoga stretch. Water will be supplied. Fee is $8. Call 724-228-6867.
South Hills Forum for Solutions will focus on Stop Gun Violence at 7 p.m. June 6 at Bower Hill Community Church, Mt. Lebanon. Local, state and federal leaders, community members and experts on gun violence will be featured.
Allegheny County will sponsor Nature Discovery Day at 10 a.m. June 20 at the Nature Center in South Park. Kids will explore the natural world.
To register, call 412-835-0143.
Children’s Hospital will offer First Aid for Kids ages 10-14, 9 a.m. June 26. Kits provided. Fee is $10.
The program will be held at UPMC South, Bethel Park.
To register, call 412-692-7105.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following health programs:
• Bone density screening, 1-3 p.m. June 5 at Healthy Directions, Finleyville Giant Eagle.
• Cancer prevention study-3, 8 a.m. June 6.
• The Need for a Primary Care Physician, 6 p.m. June 10, Mon-Vale HealthPLEX. Call 724-258-1333.
• Better Breathers Club, 2 p.m. June 11.
• Advanced Carbohydrate Counting, 6 p.m. June 12.
D&M Chiropractic and Therapeutic Rehab, Upper St. Clair, will offer a free consultation for those suffering from chronic shoulder pain or “frozen shoulder” on June 12. For an appointment, call 412-833-1101.
Pittsburgh Glass Center plans the following classes June 24-28:
• Redefining the Pontil with Chris Taylor
• Glass Entomology with Mike “Fig” Mangiofico
• Transmutation-Clay Into Glass with Mark Abildgaard
For details, call 412-365-2145.
Getting Together – June 5
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
South Fayette faces Imhotep Charter in state final (14)
USC dominates Almanac Elite Eleven All-Star list (14)
Kiernan named Almanac MVP (11)
Organization helping families get “Off the Floor” (11)
Religion - Sept. 11 (11)
Dance class gets amputees back on their feet (179)
Dogs and cats the same as cows and chickens (31)
Look around: business is booming (30)
Holiday Happenings – Dec. 11 (28)
Sights & Sounds – Dec. 11 (26)
USC questions new progress ratings (1)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)