Getting Together June 12Published Jun 12, 2013 at 6:15 am (Updated Jun 10, 2013 at 11:09 am)
Bethel Park Lioness Club will meet at 6:30 p.m. June 19 at Rolling Hills Country Club. New officers will be installed and a Chinese auction will be held. For details, call 412-835-2008.
Members of Laureate Zeta Iota will meet at 7 p.m. June 20 at the Cochran Hall clubroom, Green Tree. Plans will be finalized for the trip to Phipps Conservatory on June 21. Paper products will be collected for the Cloverleaf Ecumenical Food Bank.
POWER of Southpointe will host a POWER Happy Hour at 6 p.m. June 19 at the Southpointe Golf Club. Cost for nonmembers and guests is $15. POWER members are free.
POWER’s mission is to provide a dynamic relationship-building base for successful professional women. Events focus on exchanging ideas, participating in learning forums and forming connections that will advance personal and business goals.
Register online at www.powerofsouthpointe.org.
South Hills Knitting Guild will meet at 10 a.m. June 20 at Mt. Lebanon U. L. Church. All levels are welcome. For details, call Joan McAnulty at 412-489-3820.
• Mother Goose on the Loose, 10 a.m. June 15 and 10 a.m. June 19. Rhymes, songs, puppets, musical instruments.
• Desktops, Laptops, Tablets. Free presentation at 7 p.m. June 19.
• Dinosaur Day, ages 2-6 with caregiver, 1 p.m. June 21. Dinosaur stories, projects, creating fossils and making volcanoes. Fee is $5.
• Summer Reading Kick-off with Bob the Juggler, 11 a.m. June 14.
• Acoustic Open Mic/Craft Beer Swap, 6:30 p.m. June 16. Kim Losego will host. Bring favorite craft selections to share.
• MAD Scappers, 11 a.m. June 17. Bring photos and supplies.
• Mystery Book Club, 6:30 p.m. June 13. Discuss “The Poe Shadow” by Matthew Pearl.
• Summer Reading sign-up, grades K-four and five-eight, deadline is June 14. Cost per child is $5 per week and $5 for the field trip.
• Summer Story Time for preschoolers is 10:30 or 11:30 a.m. Mondays beginning June 17.
• Brain and Spine Health: Conservative Therapy-My back hurts. Can I Avoid the Operating Room?, 6 p.m. June 13; My Nagging Neck and Arm Pain, 6 p.m. June 20.
• Bake sale 10 a.m.-8 p.m. June 20. Central Blood Bank will accept blood donations 1-6 p.m. Call 724-926-8400 to register.
• Carnegie Screenwriters Group, 10 a.m. June 15. Discuss writing and filmmaking.
• Folksong Sharing, 6:30 p.m. June 19. Enjoy folk songs.
• Chinese Summer Camp, grades two-eight, 9:30 a.m. June 17-21. Cost is $40.
• Computers 101, 7 p.m. June 18. Cost is $5.
• “My Journey to Hekima Place” with volunteer Lorraine Bridy at 7 p.m. June 19. Learn about the orphanage in Kenya.
• Adult Book Club, 1 p.m. June 19. Discuss “Bill Mauldin: A Life Up Front” by Todd DePastino.
• Magician Dan Kuniak, 6 p.m. June 15. Free.
• Can You Dig It?, ages 8-12, 3 p.m. June 20. Explore paleontology.
• PALS Book Club, noon June 18. Discuss “The Time Together” by Carol Burnett.
• Race for Order!, grades six-eight, 3 p.m. Saturdays June 22-July 27.
Upper St. Clair
• Writing workshop with author Stephanie Keyes, 7 p.m. June 13.
• ABCs & 123s, K-first grade, 2 p.m. Mondays, June 17-July 22.
• Twos and Threes, 10 and 11 a.m. June 18, 19. Stories, rhymes, puppets, play.
• Reading Star Readers’ Theatre, third-fourth grades, 3 p.m. Thursdays, June 20-July 25.
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation has planned the following walking tours:
• Explore 25 architectural landmarks in Downtown Pittsburgh, 10 a.m. Fridays in June and July. Tour fee is $15 and includes the “Whirlwind Walk” guide book.
• Free Fourth Avenue tour at noon, Fridays in June. Meet at the corner of Fourth Avenue and Smithfield Street.
To register, call 412-471-5808 ext. 527.
Washington County Parks and Amateur Astronomer’s Association will hold star parties June 14 and 15 at the Mingo Creek Observatory near Shelter 10. Parties begin at dusk. Rain or clouds will cancel the program. No fee.
The Pie Place, Upper St. Clair, will offer a kid’s baking class at 11 a.m. June 14. Ages 4 and up will create a homemade apple pie for a special treat for Dad. Cost is $20. To register, call 412-835-4410.
North Strabane Township will hold Community Day noon to 11 p.m. June 22 at the North Strabane Community Park. Information booths, demos, refreshments and activities including the Dunk Tank will be available for all ages. Grand opening of the Disc Golf Course will take place at noon. Country singer Chris Higbee and the Four Townsmen will provide the evening’s entertainment. Cornhole tournament begins at 3 p.m. To register, call 724-745-8880.
Washington Crown Center will host a Carnival by Kevaworks through June 16 near Gander Mountain. Hours are 5-10 p.m. weekdays, noon-11 p.m. Saturdays and 1-9 p.m. Sundays.
Peters Township Parks offers the following summer camps:
• Princess Dance Camp, ages 3-5, 10:15 a.m. July 8-10.
• Broadway Bound, ages 6-8, 11:15 a.m. July 8-10.
• Chess Camp, age 6 and up, 9:30 a.m. July 22-26.
Registration begins June 1. Call 724-942-5000.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following health programs:
• Strawberry festival, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. June 14 at ECC and Central Plaza. Free parking.
• Breastfeeding class, 6:30 p.m. June 17. For mothers who plan to breastfeed. Call 724-258-2229 ext. 25.
Canon-McMillan High School Class of ’88 will gather for its 25-year reunion at 6 p.m. Sept. 21 at the George Washington Hotel. For details, email CMClassof1988@yahoo.com.
Canon-McMillan High School class of ’63 will hold its 50-year reunion Aug. 9 and 10 at Lindenwood Golf Club. For details, call Ray Dami at 724-941-1297.
Carrick High School Class of ’63 will hold its 50th anniversary reunion on Aug. 17 at South Hills Country Club. Contact Judie Ball at email@example.com with addresses of classmates. Other CHS classes may attend.
Class of ’63
South Hills High School, Class of ’63, will hold its 50-year reunion Sept. 28. For details call Sandi (Esposito) Demas at 412-854-2740.
Summer fitness classes are planned at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair:
• Aerobics, 9:30 a.m. Fridays June 14 through Aug. 23.
• Full Body Strength, 8 a.m. Saturdays June 15 through Aug. 24.
For details, call 412-835-6630.
Allegheny County will sponsor Nature Discovery Day at 10 a.m. June 20 at the Nature Center in South Park. Kids will explore the natural world.
To register, call 412-835-0143.