Sights & Sounds – June 19
The Heritage Players will perform the following at the Seton Center, Brookline:
• Dan Groggin’s musical “Nunsense,” 8 p.m. June 21 and 22, June 28 and 29 and 2 p.m. June 23 and 30. Tickets are $10.
For more information, call 412-254-4633 or visit www.heritageplayers.org.
The Meadows Racetrack & Casino announces its entertainment line-up for June. Indoor concerts are free admission.
Silks Lounge: Zoot Island (summer fun), 8 p.m. June 21; Ruff Creek (country), 8 p.m. June 22; Marshall Lowry Band (country), 8 p.m. June 28; 8th Street Rox (rock/blues), 9 p.m. June 29.
Pacers Lounge: Devon of Ruff Creek (country), 9 p.m. June 21, 28; A.J. Fresh (disc jockey), 9 p.m. June 22, 29.
The Meadows Racetrack & Casino 2013 outdoor concert performances include: The O’Jays, June 29; country icon Ronnie Dunn, Aug. 3 as part of the Mylan Classic Charity Contest; comedian and actor Bill Cosby, Aug. 17.
For tickets, call Ticketmaster at 1-800-745-3000 or visit ticketmaster.com. For more information, visit www.meadowsgaming.com.
The Beverly Road Merchants’ Association Sidewalk Sale will take place from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. June 29.
There will be booths and tables with bargains, some in-store specials and entertainment, including activities for children, courtesy of Sunrise Rotary.
From woodlands strewn with beer cans to creeks pockmarked with tires, litter is a blight on Pennsylvania’s landscape. To focus attention on this ugly and avoidable environmental problem, the Pennsylvania Resources Council (PRC) sponsors its 28th annual Lens On Litter Photo Contest, with a deadline of Oct. 31. Use your camera to identify the worst examples of litter in your Pennsylvania community. The contest is open to amateur photographers only. Contestants will be divided into two classes – school age children and adults. Eight prizes, four to each group, will be awarded, with first place winners receiving $1,000 in cash, second place $500, third place $250 and The People’s Choice Award of a camera. The contest identifies sites, which PRC then targets for clean up through local action – be it the governing body or civic-minded organizations. In the past five years, litter has been removed from more than 300 sites.
Send entries (limit three per person) to the Pennsylvania Resources Council, 3606 Providence Road, Newtown Square, PA 19073. All entries must contain the following information on the back of the photo: entrant’s name, address, telephone number, title given to photo, and location of litter site. If a school age child, the school grade and school name must be provided. Photos will not be returned and will become the property of PRC.
For more information, call Pennsylvania Resources Council at 610-353-1555.
The Mattress Factory is celebrating its 35th anniversary this year by offering an array of new exhibitions, community events, educational programs, the unveiling of a new building and a special $35 membership.
The Mattress Factory plans the following events to celebrate the museum’s 35th anniversary:
• June 21 – Urban Garden Party, 7-11 p.m. (ticket prices vary)
• June 23 – Community Garden Party, 1-5 p.m. (free)
• Oct. 10 - 35th Anniversary Art Auction (prices vary)
For more information, visit www.mattress.org.
The ToonSeum, Pittsburgh’s Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art, will exhibit seven decades’ worth of original art from cartooning’s highest honor, The Reuben Award. The exhibit runs through Aug. 11.
This is the first time in the organization’s history that original art from these legendary artists has been assembled in one exhibition. Rare works seldom seen by the public from artists such as Gary Larson of Far Side, Charles M. Schulz of Peanuts, and many more will be displayed.
• Partnering with 16 cartoonists and 15 organizations, the ToonSeum has created “Oakland,” a new visitors guide featuring short comic vignettes of great Oakland venues, including The Original Hot Dog Shop, Phipps Conservatory and the Cathedral of Learning. It is free to the public.
For more information, visit www.toonseum.org.
Sights & Sounds – June 19
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
PIAA win cures ailing CV Colts (82)
Bower Hill organizes food drive to honor Roberto Clemente (37)
St. Clair Hospital named in Top 10 in nationwide hospitals (36)
Colella appointed to fill vacant BP council seat (32)
St. Clair Hospital named in Top 10 in nationwide hospitals (175)
PIAA win cures ailing CV Colts (48)
Ward Home fundraiser (25)
Bower Hill organizes food drive to honor Roberto Clemente (23)
Ballroom dancing not the answer (1)
PSU students still battle shadow of Sandusky’s actions (1)
Colella appointed to fill vacant BP council seat (1)