Getting Together – June 26
Giant Oaks Garden Club meets at 11:15 a.m. at St. David Anglican Church, Venetia. Lunch is followed by the program. Guests pay $7. Programs are as follows:
• Creating a Moss Garden, July 11. Learn techniques for floral arranging using moss and other natural materials.
• Tea etiquette and health benefits with Bella Howard, owner of Bella’s House of Fine Teas and Gift Shop, Aug. 1.
To RSVP, call 412-746-4664.
Women’s Business Network provides personal and professional resources to aspiring and successful businesswomen. Local meetings include:
• McMurray, 8:15 a.m. July 3, The Meadows (mezzanine). Call Paula Stoltz at 412-334-2509.
• Mt. Lebanon, 8:30 a.m. July 9, Crowne Plaza, Fort Couch Road. Call Sue Baumgart at 412-759-3965.
• Pittsburgh West, 8 a.m. July 10, Papa Gallo’s, Bridgeville. Call Cheryl Lieb at 412-341-7667.
• South Hills, 8 a.m. July 18, King’s Restaurant, Upper St. Clair. Call Jen Ohrman at 412-531-5055.
• Bethel Park, 6 p.m. July 18, Bethel Park Municipal Building. Call Tamra McKenna at 412-885-5162.
• Big Dig, preschoolers, 6 p.m. June 29. Craft, games, books.
• Don’t Let the Pigeon Borrow a Book, K-second grade, 7 p.m. June 27.
• Dragon Flames and Fables, K-fifth grade, 2 p.m. July 1.
• Sticky Science, K-fifth grade, 7 p.m. July 2.
• Baby Jam, 10 and 11 a.m. Thursdays. Songs, fingerplays, rhymes and knee bounces.
• Genealogy Group, 7 p.m. every fourth Monday.
• Button Club, 11 a.m. every fourth Wednesday.
• Eliminate Paper Clutter, 6:30 p.m. July 1. Learn to keep paper piles under control.
• Senior lunch/learn, 11:30 a.m. July 12. Women’s health will be discussed.
• Pinterest Dessert Party, 7 p.m. July 9. Bring your Pinterest recipe and baking creations, successes and failures.
• Chess Club, 6:30 p.m. July 2, 16. K-seventh grade.
• Terrific Tuesdays, grades one-four, 1:30 p.m. Tuesdays in July.
• Writer’s Group, 7 p.m. July 9. Share and edit work.
• Knitting Circle, 1:30 p.m. July 10. Learn new skills, share yours.
• International Women’s Conversation Circles, 10 a.m. July 10. Refreshments and conversation. Different cultures can practice their English and learn about activities in the area.
• Teen NHL 13 Tournament, 7 p.m. June 26.
• Teen Flashback Movie Night, 6 p.m. June 27. Watch “Back to the Future.”
• Teen 30-day drawing challenger, July 1-30. Each day a new drawing task will be assigned. Winner receives 10 tickets for the summer reading raffle.
• Word Processing I, 7 p.m. July 2. Cost is $5. Learn to create and save documents, format characters and print documents.
• IndieFlix service of films, shorts and documentaries from around the world. Access available to the best of Sundance, Cannes, Tribeca on Apple, Android and other Internet-enabled devices.
Upper St. Clair
• Brain Teasers, first-third grades, 2 p.m. Wednesdays, through July 24.
• Love to Read, adult reading program, through Aug. 7.
• Beading with Anne Oyler, 7 p.m. July 11. Create a beaded bracelet. Small materials fee.
John McMillan Preschool, Bethel Park, offers Friday morning Parent & Tot programs for 2 year olds and a caregiver. Participate in teacher-led activities and digging a play garden.
Celebrating its 40th year, the preschool offers classes for 2s, 3s, 4s and an a.m. T-class and kindergarten enrichment on Mondays. Call Pat Folino at 412-833-4704 for details or to schedule a tour.
‘Made in America’
Schoolhouse Arts Center, Bethel Park, will open its new gallery show, “Made in America,” on June 29. A reception is set for noon-4 p.m. Paintings, stained glass, jewelry, textiles, knitting, crochet and photography with a focus on the United States will be on display through Aug. 31. All artwork has been created by local artists.
All About Animals
Collier Township Parks and Recreation plans an All About Animals Art Camp for ages 8-15. The schedule is noon to 2 p.m. July 15-17 and 10 a.m.-noon July 22-24. To register, call 412-279-2525 ext. 122.
Peters Township Park and Rec plans the following programs:
• Wild Animals Safari Art, ages 5-11, 4:30 p.m. July 8-11.
• Prince Dance, ages 3-5, 10:15 a.m. July 8-10 or July 29-31.
• Broadway Bound, ages 6-8, 11:15 a.m. July 8-10 or July 29-31.
• Reiki with Lois Reich, 7 p.m. July 16.
• Dog Obedience class, stop your dog’s persistent pulling, 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, July 9-Aug. 13.
For details, call 724-942-5000.
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation has planned the following walking tours:
• Explore Downtown Pittsburgh to see landmarks, interiors and significant urban spaces, 10 a.m. Fridays in July.
• Historic Allegheny Cemetery Tour, 2 p.m. June 29. $10 for members and $35 for nonmembers (includes a one-year PHLF).
To register, call 412-471-5808 ext. 527.
The Four Townsmen Show Band will perform at 6:30 p.m. July 14 at Canonsburg’s Town Park. Bring lawn chairs, blankets and a picnic basket.
Phipps Conservatory and Penn State Extension will present garden designer David Culp 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. July 11. Topics include The Layered Garden, Native Plants for the Home Landscape and Shade Gardening. Cost is $95. To register, call 412-441-4442 ext. 3925.
Sisters of St. Francis of the Providence of God in Whitehall will hold its next soup take-out with pick-up 3-6 p.m. July 17. Order deadline is July 11. Soup choices are wedding, black bean and gazpacho. Cost is $5 per quart (includes two rolls). To order, call 412-885-7232.
Pittsburgh Glass Center will hold a new exhibition of biological lifeforms July 5-Nov. 17. Coordinated by glass artist Robert Mickelsen, Lifeforms is inspired by Rudolf and Leopold Blaschka’s glass biological models made in the 19th and 20th centuries for Harvard University’s museums. Fifty works of art out of 102 submissions will be displayed from the U.S., Scotland, Italy, Japan, Australia, England and Canada.
Awards for excellence, achievement and merit will be presented at the opening reception 6-9 p.m. July 5.
Pittsburgh Wine Festival will sponsor Wonderful Wines from Revitalized Spain at 6 p.m. July 9 at the Sheraton Station Square. Cost is $50.
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks sponsors workshops on home repairs at the Landmarks Housing Resource Center in Wilkinsburg.
To register, call Mary Lu Denny at 412-471-5808 ext. 527.
Getting Together – June 26
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Spoonwood Brewing to open this fall in Bethel (648)
District attorney dropping charges against South Fayette student (109)
Free dance lessons for PT students will be offered March 22 following twerking incident (95)
USC residents get a lot for their tax dollars (81)
District attorney dropping charges against South Fayette student (467)
Mt. Lebanon rifle team future unclear (77)
Expansion possible for South Fayette High School (76)
(No heading) (14)
Mt. Lebanon assessments grossly unfair (3)
USC residents get a lot for their tax dollars (2)
Charges on South Fayette bully victim to be dropped (1)
Air quality a concern (1)
Texting insensitive to families (1)