Getting Together – July 10
Giant Oaks Garden Club recently awarded two $1,000 scholarships to local students. Jon Charles Demi graduated from McGuffey School District and plans to attend Ohio State University to study environmental science. Maurice Slinger graduated from Upper St. Clair School District and also plans to study environmental science.
• Giggle/Wiggle, kids and caregiver, 10 and 11 a.m. Mondays, through July 22.
• Crafty Saturdays, noon through July 27.
• Creative Kids-Rocking Friends, ages 8-12, 3 p.m. July 11. Make a rock necklace and friendship bracelet.
• American Girl Book Club, grades 2-5, 1 p.m. July 11.
• Concert-Corned Beef and Curry, 7 p.m. July 13.
• Read & Stroll, birth-PreK, 3 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Summer Snowball fight, 6 p.m. July 16. Wear old clothes.
• Mad Science Earthworks, grades 2-8, 6 p.m. July 23. Rocks to minerals to earthquakes.
• Gain the Upper Hand with Your iPad, 10:15 a.m. July 15, 17. Learn search techniques for apps for business or pleasure, listen to podcasts and audio books. Cost is $5.
• Talk with Doc: Back Pain, 7 p.m. July 11. Causes and treatments for back pain.
• Tchaikovsky: His Life and Music, 10 a.m. July 12, 26. Lectures on the life and music.
• American History Book Discussion, 9:15 a.m. July 18. Discuss “April 1865, The Month that Saved America” by Jay Winik.
• Teen Zumba, 1 p.m. Thursdays, through Aug. 15.
• Teen writing workshop, 4 p.m. July 11 and 25. Writing styles, grammar and outlines.
• Cupcake Cake Boss, 1 p.m. July 16. Prize to the most creative cupcake.
• Family Movie, 6 p.m. July 16. Watch “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.”
• Finishers, 5:30 p.m. July 16. Bring your crafts.
• Book Discussion, 1:30 p.m. July 18. Discuss “Lethal” by Sandra Brown.
• Preschool Storytime, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Tuesdays, and 1 p.m. Wednesdays.
• Toddler Storytime, 10 a.m. Mondays in July.
• Friends will hold a library fundraiser at Bob Evans in Bridgeville 7 a.m.-9 p.m July 11. Fifteen percent of sales will be donated to Friends for library programs. Coupon flyer copies are available at the library or www.southfayettelibrary.org.
• Pizza Garden is in the township building’s courtyard. Library users will tend to the vegetable and herb garden. The garden’s bounty will be used to make pizzas for a special event.
• Race for Order, grades 6-8, 3 p.m. July 13, 20, 27. Find materials that are out of order and race to put them back. Refreshments and prizes.
• Zombie Fest, middle and high school students, 7 p.m. July 19. Ghoulish festivities.
Upper St. Clair
• Zentangle with Lynne Martinelli, 7 p.m. July 18. Experience the drawing craze.
• Walk Like an Egyptian, first-fourth grades/caregiver, 6:30 p.m. July 18.
Horses with Hope, a nonprofit accredited equine therapeutic riding center for all ages, will hold an open house 11 a.m.-1 p.m. July 14 at the South Park Fairgrounds. Radio talk show host Jim Quinn will host. Wish 99.7 FM Street Treat Patrol will provided snacks and entertainment. Observe a session with a few riders.
For details, visit www.horseswithhope.org.
POWER of Southpointe and Washington County Chamber of Commerce will host a POWER Happy Hour at 6 p.m. July 18 at Arlecchino Ristorante in McMurray. Cost is $15 for nonmembers and guests. POWER members are free. Register online at www.PowerofSouthpointe.org.
Bethel Park Community Foundation will sponsor the Community Band South in its Tower Concert series at 2:30 p.m. July 14 at the Bethel Park Community Center. No fee.
Washington Area Humane Society will hold a rabies/vaccine clinic for dogs and cats 8 a.m.-noon July 14 at the shelter in Eighty Four. No appointment necessary. Proceeds benefit the WAHS mission. For details, call 724-222-7387.
Horses Unlimited, South Park, will hold its final pony camp of the season 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Aug. 12-15 for beginner riders ages 5-10. Learn to groom, saddle, bridle, ride, feed and care for horses. Blacksmith and veterinary demos are planned along with horsey arts and crafts.
Pony, Pop & Pizza birthday parties are also available. For details, call 412-835-7726.
A self-guided garden tour will be held in Squirrel Hill and Frick Park/Regent Square at 1 p.m. July 14, beginning at 6570 Beacon Street where full directions will be given.
Cost is $30. Reservations and carpooling are encouraged, but tickets may be purchased the day of the tour. For details, call 412-897-4125.
A call for artists is out for the second annual South Hills Artisan Tour 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 12. Join other South Hills artisans in opening your studio as part of a studio crawl. The area is between Route 51 and I-79 and south to the Washington and Allegheny counties border.
Submissions are needed by 5 p.m. July 31. For details, email Donna Bogosto Kearns at email@example.com.
Washington County Parks and Amateur Astronomer’s Association will sponsor star parties July 12 and 13 at Mingo Creek Observatory near Shelter 10. The program will begin a dusk. No fee.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following health programs:
• Why Do You Need a Primary Care Physician?, 6 p.m. July 18, Finleyville Community Center. Call 724-258-1333.
• First Aid Instruction, 6 p.m. July 25 at the ECC. Fee is $30. Call 724-684-9536.
Sex, Sleep, Stress
Jefferson Regional Medical Center will present Judith Balk, M.D. at 5 p.m. July 16 in the Bibro Pavilion. The free Health for Her program will feature Sex, Sleep and Stress after Menopause. To register, call 412-469-7100.
Dormont High School will hold its 10th annual gathering of graduates and friends at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 4 at the Crown Plaza, Bethel Park. Cost is $43 per person. To RSVP, call 412-833-5967.
Pittsburgh Glass Center will sponsor a workshop on July 20. Create bodacious beads, glass critters and flowers, kiln-formed mosaic and paperweights. For details, call 412-365-2145.
Maintain your brain
A maintain your brain seminar is set for 9:45 a.m. July 24 at Christ U.M. Church, Bethel Park. Topics include brain healthy nutrition, nourishing your brain, daily brain exercises and making simple lifestyle changes.
For details, call 412-835-6621 ext. 127.
Mary Pappert School of Music will host a technology and guitar workshop July 20-21 presented by Duquesne University’s City Music Center and Pianos N’ Stuff. Classes range from digital auto basics to guitar effect pedal techniques. Cost is $25 for students and educators and $50 for others. For details, call 412-396-5872.
PT Rec Center
Peters Township Recreation Department offers classes at the Community Center.
• Eco Challenge, ages 6-11, 9 a.m. July 15-19. Hikes, flower pressing, fishing, exploring.
• Pirate Adventure Art Camp, ages 5-10, 4 p.m. July 22-25.
• Playground Pals, ages 4-8, 9:30 a.m. July 29, 31, Aug. 2. Celebrate different holidays each day.
• Power Hour Boot Camp, ages 16 and up, 9 a.m. Mondays.
To register, call 724-942-5000.