Across the South Hills – July 10
The Bethel Park Volunteer Fire Company is in need of financial donations. There are three ways to donate: contribute online at www.bethelparkvfc.com; by mailing a check payable to Bethel Park VFC at PMB 242, Bethel Park VFC, 5225 Library Road, Bethel Park, PA 15102; or by taking a check made payable to Bethel Park VFC to any Brentwood Bank location during their normal business hours.
• Dedicated Bethel Park Lions have collected $21,000 in 2012-2013 through various fund raisers with 100 percent of the proceeds donated to local community organizations.
Farmers Market and Flea Market is open from 4-7 p.m. every Tuesday, located at 431 Washington Ave.
For more information, call Liz Calabro at 412-720-5142.
Joe Lowe, a soul singer, will appear for the Town Park Pool Summer Night series from 7-9 p.m. July 17. Admission is $3.
• Canonsburg’s Community Day Picnic at Kennywood takes place July 17, and is sponsored by the Canonsburg Volunteer Fire Department. For discounted tickets, call 724-745-9861.
Galati Road over Millers Run Road, known as Millers Run Bridge No. 7, also known as the Scott Bridge, will be closed until further notice because of deterioration. The bridge is owned by Washington County.
For questions or concerns, call Vincent Ley of the Washington County Bridge Department at 724-250-4650.
• The Mylan Classic will donate 100 percent of all ticket sales to local charities, including Focus on Renewal, a nonprofit human service agency that has served the McKees Rocks community for more than 40 years. The golf event will be held July 29-Aug. 4 at Southpointe Golf Club. Focus on Renewal will earn a percentage of the $35,000 bonus pool to be distributed among participating nonprofits based on the programs’ total ticket sales.
Tickets are $25 for a weekly grounds pass that permits access to the tournament grounds, clinics and concerts. Performing on Aug. 1 will be Pure Gold, Bon Journey on Aug. 2, both at the golf club, and Ronnie Dunn of Brooks and Dunn will perform Aug. 2 at the Meadows Racetrack and Casino.
To order tickets,call 724-746-3535 or visit www.mylanclassic.com/buytix/FOCUSONRENEWAL.
Tickets may also be purchased by contacting Chris Crytzer at 412-771-6460 ext. 305 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
McDonald Borough Parks and Recreation Board has a new program available to area residents called Dedicate-a-Tree at Heritage Park. A variety of trees and shrubs are available to order for planting at the park, and along with them comes an engraved brick to be placed at the base of the tree or shrub. Contact the borough office at 724-926-8711 for more information or to place an order. All trees or shrubs will be professionally planted and donors will be contacted with the location and planting date.
The state Department of Transportation is making traffic signal safety improvements. Crews will replace signals and upgrade sidewalks to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Single lane restrictions will occur as needed weekdays from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. through early December at the following intersections: Cochran and Osage roads; and Beverly Road at Overlook Drive, Ralston Place and North Meadowcroft Avenue.
Relay For Life of Peters Township will host Relay’s Got Talent from 3-5 p.m. Aug. 3 at Peters Township High School. Categories are vocal music, instrumental music and dance. There are three age groups: grades four-eight in the 2012-2013 school year, high school students and adults.
Judging will be by a panel of local celebrities and prizes will be awarded following the competition. Entry fee is $5, a donation to Relay For Life.
Deadline to enter is July 19 and any music tracks needed must be submitted by July 28. The theme is Carnival for Relay for Life of Peters Township and activities begin at noon Aug. 3 at the high school with an opening ceremony. There will be live music, carnival-style family friendly games and festival foods.
The Luminaria ceremony, which honors survivors and those who lost their battle with cancer, begins at 9 p.m. Luminaria may be purchased at the luminaria tent the day of the relay for $10. Pinwheels that can hold up to six names honoring or remembering someone affected by cancer are available in advance at the luminaria tent for $20.
For more information about the pinwheels or luminaria, contact Rita Reo at 724-263-9329. For those interested in forming a team for the relay, supporting a team, or who need more information about the teams or the talent show, call Margie Smith at 724-222-6911 or visit www.relayforlife.org/papeterstwp.
South Strabane Township
Experience Hawaii through a luau at Strabane Trails Village at 2:30 p.m. July 11. The event is free and is open to the public. There will be tropical refreshments with entertainment by steel drum band Tropical Sands. For more information, call 724-225-4100.
Upper St. Clair Township
A Talk ‘N Walk series about insects will be held from 2-4 p.m. July 21 at the Outdoor Classroom offices. Fee is $8 for adults and $3 for children under 12. There will be a 10 percent discount for three or more participants. Preregistration is requested and required for groups, and to receive the 10 percent discount. To register, call Jessica Kester, program manger, at 412-838-0064, email Jessica@TheOutdoorClassroomPA.org, or visit www.TheOutdoorClassroomPA.org.
Across the South Hills – July 10
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
South Fayette headed to Hershey (150)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (32)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (31)
Paint-your-own pottery: a fun indoor activity (25)
Three pizza restaurants and a BP (24)
South Fayette headed to Hershey (113)
USC questions new progress ratings (1)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)