Getting Together – July 17
South Hills Aglow will meet at 7 p.m. July 15 at South Hills Assembly, Bethel Park. Pastor Christine Pope-Portis will be the speaker.
Golden Triangle Decorative Painters will meet July 21 at the Finleyville Community Center. Rosann Wagner will offer a “Painting Santa” class on July 20 and “Watercolor Santa” on July 21. The business meeting will start at 1 p.m. Sunday.
A painting trunk sale will be held in the parking lot. Members are asked to bring picnic items for lunch.
For details, call 724-785-3250.
• Emerging Technologies: Microcomputing, 7 p.m. July 24. Tablets, smartphones with Apple and Android software.
• Altered Books, 7 p.m. July 24. Used mixed media to transform a book.
• Yoga and Smoothies, 11 a.m. July 27. Bring a mat.
• Bridgeville Remembered: 1900-1910 presented by John Oyler, 7 p.m. July 18.
• Creative Kids with Karen Hartman, ages 8-12, 3 p.m. July 18. Cartooning workshop “Under the Sea.”
• Maker Design Challenge, ages 5 and up, 1 p.m. July 19. Use recycled materials.
• Free Organizing Workshops, 7 p.m. July 25.
• Real Life Minecraft, 6 p.m. July 30. Games, crafts, prizes for hardcore Minecraft players.
• Check out 500 continuing education courses on the library’s website.
• Used book sale continues. Fill a bag for $5.
• Bring knitting, needlework, sewing or other craft project and join Frayed Knots for tea and conversation at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays.
• Carnegie Screenwriters Group, 10 a.m. July 20.
• Threshold Choir Practice, 7 p.m. July 22. Sing a cappella, for people who are experiencing a difficult life transition.
• Storytime in Spanish, ages 3-6 and families, 6:30 p.m. July 24.
• Pajama Storytime, ages 3-7, 6:30 p.m. July 25. Stories, songs, rhymes.
• Make a Fairy House, ages 4 and up with families, 6:30 p.m. July 30.
• Fun with Animals with Vera McGinley, 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays in August.
• Star Wars Day, noon-3 p.m. Aug. 10.
• Mushroom Club, 6 p.m. July 23.
• Duck Tape Creations, 2 p.m. July 24.
• Cooking with Essential Oils, 7 p.m. July 24.
• Social Networking on the Internet, 7 p.m. July 30. Cost is $5.
• World War II Discussion Group, 11 a.m. July 31.
• Mystery Book Club, 1 p.m. July 31, Discuss “The Last Kind Words” by Tom Piccirilli.
• Egypt, ages 8 and older, 6 p.m. July 19. Learn about daily life.
• Holes, ages 8-12, 4 p.m. July 25. Based on the book and movie.
• Dirt: More than a Washing Nightmare, grades two-six, 10:30 a.m. July 29. Topics: Edible Earth and Plants of the Soil.
• Race for Order, grades six-eight, 3 p.m. July 20, 27. Find materials that are out of order and race to put them back. Refreshments and prizes.
• Adult Book Club, 6:30 p.m. July 22. Read “Dreams of Joy” by Lisa See.
• Computer Programming, grades two-five, July 23.
• Silly Science, K-second grade, 2 p.m. Aug. 5-9. Cost is $5 per class.
• Finale Party for children in the summer program, 1 p.m. Aug. 3.
Upper St. Clair
• Cartooning with Francis Cleetus, author of “Wish Your Mouth Had a Backspace Key?,” 7 p.m. July 25.
• Scrapbooking with Bridget Davidson, 7 p.m. Aug. 1. Small materials fee.
• Fun & Games Day, 2 p.m. Aug. 1.
• Bowling Party for kids in the reading program with a caregiver, 2 p.m. Aug. 7 at AMF Lanes, Mt. Lebanon.
John McMillan Presbyterian Church, Bethel Park, is accepting registrations for the 2013-14 term. Classes are open to ages 2-5. Curriculum includes art, music, kindergarten readiness, science, creative and outdoor play. New this year is the Lunch & Learn class 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays. T-Class or AM4s may extend learning day from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Kindergarten Plus offers a hands-on science and math focus.
For details, call Pat Folino at 412-833-4704.
The 38th Annual Duncan & Miller Glass Show & Sale is set for 10 a.m.-4 p.m. July 20 and 21 at the Washington County Fair Ground & Expo Center. Admission is $4. The Duncan & Miller Glass Museum will be open with free admission July 20 & 21 during the show. For details, call Lauren Kotar at 724-222-3334.
The Little Gym, McMurray, will sponsor Parents’ Survival Nights from 6 p.m. to 9. Barnyard Bonanza is set for July 19 and TLG Crazy Carnival is set for Aug. 9. Parents will be have three hours to themselves while kids ages 3-12 have fun. For details, call 724-941-0100.
Sisters of St. Francis of the Providence of God, Whitehall, will host a soup-take with pick-up 3 p.m.-6 p.m. Aug. 14. Choose from wedding, gumbo and roasted corn and tomato. Order deadline is Aug. 8. Cost is $5 per quart (includes two rolls). Call 412-885-7232 to place an order.
Masonic Village will offer free appraisals and tours 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 25 at Sewickley Clubhouse on Masonic Drive. Bring up to two items for appraisal by William Cox, owner of Antique Mall Ohio River. Military and general appraisals 10-11 a.m. Coin, jewelry and oil painting appraisals 11 a.m. until noon. Pottery, glassware and general appraisals noon-1 p.m.
Hors d’oeuvres and tours will be available. To register, call 412-749-6862.
South Arts has opened its summer art show, “Summertime,” at the historic Schoolhouse Arts Center in Bethel Park. The works of local artists will continue through Aug. 3. Hours are noon-4 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday.
Christmas in July
Sounds of Pittsburgh Chorus: Sweet Adelines International will host Barbershop Appreciation Day rehearsal July 29. Women interested in singing will learn Christmas songs to appear with the chorus on Dec. 14. Those who attend five rehearsals prior to Sept. 1 will join the group in singing the National Anthem at Heinz Field before a Pirate game. Rehearsals are held at Coraopolis U.M. Church on Ridge Avenue. Call 412-279-6062 for details.
Village Candy, Sewickley will hold a cream soda tasting 5:30-6:30 p.m. July 27. Enjoy this cream-of-the-crop event with new vintages. Register for the event at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Big Band Memories
Bethel Park Community Foundation will continue its Tower Concerts at 2:30 p.m. July 21 at the Bethel Park Community Center. No charge.
Pittsburgh Cares PUMP will host volunteer speed dating with your nonprofit match at 5:30 p.m. Aug. 5 at Wigle Wiskey in the Strip District. Email Amanda Trocki at email@example.com.
Washington County Parks will sponsor Nature’s Nasties at 7 p.m. July 24 at Shelter 2, Mingo Creek kPark. Learn to identify and avoid things in nature that make us itch or go “ouch” such as poison ivy, ticks, mosquitos and stinging nettle. To register, call 724-228-6867.
Wine vs. Beer
Dreadnought Wines and East End Brewing Co. will sponsor a Wine vs. Beer dinner at 6 p.m. July 29 at Cure Restaurant, Lawrenceville. For cost and reservations, call 412-391-1709.
Collier Township will hold the following youth programs:
• Science Camp, Robots vs. Humans, Aug. 7 Community Center.
For details, visit www.colliertownship.net.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following health programs:
• Innovations in Knee Replacements, 6 p.m. July 29 Mon-Vale HealthPLEX. Call 724-258-1333.
• Understanding Your Meal Plan, 6 p.m. July 30. Mon-Vale HealthPLEX. Call 724-258-1483.
• Understanding Your Blood Sugar Readings, 6 p.m. July 31, Mon-Vale HealthPLEX. Call 724-258-1483.
Dormont High School will hold its 10th annual gathering of graduates and friends on at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 4 at the Crowne Plaza, Bethel Park. Cost is $43 per person. To RSVP, call 412-833-5967.
Canon-McMillan High School Class of ‘88 will gather for its 25-year reunion at 6 p.m. Sept. 21 at the George Washington Hotel. For details, email CMClassof1988@yahoo.com.
Canon-McMillan High School class of ’63 will hold its 50-year reunion Aug. 9 and 10 at Lindenwood Golf Club. For details, call Ray Dami at 724-941-1297.
Carrick High School Class of 1963 will hold its 50th anniversary reunion on Aug. 17 at South Hills Country Club. Contact Judie Ball at firstname.lastname@example.org with addresses of classmates. Other CHS classes may attend.
Class of ’63
South Hills High School, Class of ’63, will hold its 50-year reunion Sept. 28. For details call Sandi (Esposito) Demas at 412-854-2740.
Home Instead Senior Care Center for Training and Education, Bethel Park, will hold Alzheimer’s CARE training at 6:30 p.m. July 23 and Sept. 24. Learn to manage behaviors, encourage engagement and care for themselves while caring for loved ones.
RSVP to 412-595-7554.
Pittsburgh Wine Festival’s Tastin Tuesdays wine seminars will continue with food-friendly Italian wines at 6 p.m. Aug. 13 at the Sheraton Station Square. Cost is $50. Register at pittsburghwinefestival.com.
Penn State Master Gardeners will hold training for new master gardeners in Washington County at Peters Township Public Library in September. Training covers basic plant and soil science, plant propagation, integrated pest management and pruning.
For details, call 724-228-6881.
Pittsburgh Glass Center plans the following classes:
• Informal discussion on studio glass art, 6 p.m. Aug. 7.
• Make-it-a-Date, 6 p.m. Aug. 17. Couples will make a blown glass ornament. $60 per couple, includes hors d’oeuvres, wine/beer, entertainment.
For details, call 412-365-2145.