Getting Together – July 24
South Hills Chamber will host a South Beach Luau at Tiki Lounge, Crowne Plaza, Bethel Park, 5:30-9 p.m. Aug. 21. Wear island clothes or come casual. Cost is $25/members and $35/nonmembers. RSVP to 412-306-8090.
Women’s POWER Lunch set for 1 p.m. July 26 at On Deck Bar & Grill near Canonsburg Lake. Cost is $25.
• Summer Reading Swim Party, 6-8 p.m. Aug. 2 at the YMCA. Get passes beginning July 29.
• Online Live, 7 p.m. Aug. 5. Team up for What’s the Word, Scramble with Friends. Prizes. Grades five and up.
• Creative Kids-Sweet Crafts, ages 8-12, 3 p.m. July 25.
• 4th Thursday Book Group, 6 p.m. July 25. Read “Return to Sullivan’s Island.”
• Johnstonbaugh’s Music Center’s Ensemble Camp Concert, 7 p.m. July 27. Free.
• OneClick digital audiobooks are available for checkout.
• Private computer lessons beginning Aug. 12. $10 per hour
• Lunch/fashion show, noon Sept. 22. Phyllis’ Fashions plus lunch at the Chartiers Fire & Social Hall. Tickets are $35.
• Book Swap ’til You Drop, K-sixth grade, 2-3 p.m. July 25. Bring in up to six books to trade. Take home up to the same amount.
• Beginner Spanish, 18 and older, 10 a.m. July 27 for eight weeks. Cost is $35.
• English Conversation Class, 10 a.m. July 26.
• Tchaikovsky: His Life and Music, 10 a.m. July 26.
• History & Impact of Financial Power: The Vampire Rise, Fall & Rise Again of Fin. Capitalism, 1:30 p.m. July 27.
• Chess, 1 p.m. July 26.
• Trading Card Club, 3 p.m. July 26.
• The library is closed on Sundays during summer months.
• Genealogy workshop, 1 p.m. Aug. 3. Kenneth Britten, president of Genealogy Society of SW PA, will discuss “Beginning a Genealogy Search.”
• Dirt: More than a Washing Nightmare, grades 2-6, 10:30 a.m. July 29. Topics: Edible Earth and Plants of the Soil.
• Ink cartridge recycling at the library.
• eBooks, eAudio, eVideos and eMagazines available at the library.
• Tales ‘n Tunes, ages 3-5, 10:30 a.m. Aug. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30.
• Mother Goose Story Time, 10:30 a.m. Aug. 6, 7, 13, 14, 20, 21, 27, 28.
• Book Lust Club, adults, 7 p.m. the third Thursday of each month.
• Overweight and Out of Shape, 9 a.m. July 27. Routines increase muscular strength and range of motion.
• How to Throw a Cool Summer Party, 7 p.m. July 29 with Rose Colucci.
Upper St. Clair
• Scrapbooking with Bridget Davidson, 7 p.m. Aug. 1. Small materials fee.
• Fun & Games Day, 2 p.m. Aug. 1.
• Bowling Party for kids in the reading program with a caregiver, 2 p.m. Aug. 7 at AMF Lanes, Mt. Lebanon.
Kennywood Park will host the 82nd Annual Polish Day on Aug. 6. Pierogies, kielbasa, stuffed cabbage, cabbage and noodles, homemade pickles and potato pancakes will be served in the Polish kitchen beginning at 11:30 a.m.
Holy Family Polish National Catholic Church of McKeesport will sponsor the Lajkoniki Dancers at 2 p.m. Mass will be celebrated at 3 p.m. by the Rev. Joseph Swierczynski, pastor of Immaculate Heart of Mary Church. Karuzela Chorus will be featured. A Polish Folk Concert will begin at 4:15 p.m. followed by a polka celebration.
For information, call 412-486-1605.
Pittsburgh Knit & Crochet Festival will sponsor it’s seventh knitting retreat Nov. 7-10. Knittreat will be held at the Omni Bedford Springs Resort & Spa. The package includes three nights lodging, meals, welcome reception, goodie bags, up to five classes, taxes and gratuities. To learn more, visit www.knittreat.com.
Bethel Park Community Foundation will continue its Tower Concerts with the Syria Shriners Band, 2:30 p.m. July 28 at the Bethel Park Community Center. Free admission.
Sisters of St. Francis of the Providence of God, Whitehall, will host a soup take-out with pick-up 3-6 p.m. Aug. 14. Choose from wedding, gumbo and roasted corn and tomato. Order deadline is Aug. 8. Cost is $5 per quart (includes two rolls). Call 412-885-7232 to place an order.
Watercolor, ink and oil artist Rosanne Cipollone will exhibit her works 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, through Aug. 14 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. Six calligraphers will also be part of the exhibit. For details, call 41-835-6630.
Pittsburgh Cares PUMP will host volunteer speed dating with your nonprofit match at 5:30 p.m. Aug. 5 at Wigle Wiskey in the Strip District. Email Amanda Trocki at email@example.com.
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation has planned the following walking tours:
• Downtown’s Best, 25 landmarks, 10 a.m. July 26.
• Grant Street, noon July 26. Meet at the Omni William Penn Hotel Grant Street entrance.
To register, call 412-471-5808 ext. 527.
Learn about wines
Dreadnought Wines will sponsor Out & About with Crested Duck Charcuterie in Beechview at 6 p.m. July 29. Cost is $45 per person. Call 412-391-1709.
Hatha Yoga for Adults will be held at 3 p.m. Thursdays, Aug. 15-Sept. 19 at the Collier Township Municipal Building. Carmie Woods will instruct the six-week session. Fee is $40 for Collier residents and $45 for nonresidents. Register at www.colliertownship.net.
Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh provides educators to speak for programs at schools, religious, community, youth, parent or professional groups. Call 412-692-7105.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following health programs:
• Innovations in Knee Replacements, 6 p.m. July 29, Mon-Vale HealthPLEX. Call 724-258-1333.
• Understanding Your Meal Plan, 6 p.m. July 30, Mon-Vale HealthPLEX. Call 724-258-1483.
• Understanding Your Blood Sugar Readings, 6 p.m. July 31, Mon-Vale HealthPLEX. Call 724-258-1483.
• Understanding Your Diabetes Medications, 6 p.m. Aug. 1. Call 724-258-1483.
• Baby Care Class, 6:30 p.m. Aug. 5. Call 724-258-2229 ext. 25.
• Bone Density Screening, 1-3 p.m. Aug. 7, Healthy Directions, Finleyville Giant Eagle.
• Barbecue by The Rib Cage, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Aug. 9. Hospital’s central plaza. Ribs or pulled pork sandwiches. Call 724-258-1167.
Pittsburgh Wine Festival’s Tastin’ Tuesdays wine seminars will continue with food-friendly Italian wines at 6 p.m. Aug. 13 at the Sheraton Station Square. Cost is $50. Register at pittsburghwinefestival.com.
Penn State Master Gardeners will hold training for new master gardeners in Washington County at Peters Township Public Library in September. Training covers basic plant and soil science, plant propagation, integrated pest management and pruning.
For details, call 724-228-6881.
Pittsburgh Glass Center plans the following classes:
• Informal discussion on studio glass art, 6 p.m. Aug. 7.
• Make-it-a-Date, 6 p.m. Aug. 17. Couples will make a blown glass ornament. Cost of $60 per couple, includes hors d’oeuvres, wine/beer, entertainment.
For details, call 412-365-2145.
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks will sponsor a Finalizing Plans workshop for home repairs at 6 p.m. July 30 at the Landmarks Preservation Resource Center, Rebecca Street, Wilkinsburg.
To register, call Mary Lu Denny at 412-471-5808 ext. 527.
Getting Together – July 24
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
PIAA win cures ailing CV Colts (115)
St. Clair Hospital named in Top 10 in nationwide hospitals (62)
Bower Hill organizes food drive to honor Roberto Clemente (44)
Colella appointed to fill vacant BP council seat (44)
St. Clair Hospital named in Top 10 in nationwide hospitals (175)
PIAA win cures ailing CV Colts (48)
Ward Home fundraiser (25)
Bower Hill organizes food drive to honor Roberto Clemente (23)
Ballroom dancing not the answer (1)
PSU students still battle shadow of Sandusky’s actions (1)
Colella appointed to fill vacant BP council seat (1)