Getting Together – July 31
Women’s Business Network provides resources to aspiring businesswomen. Chapters meet as follows:
• McMurray, 8:30 a.m. Aug. 7, 21, Meadows Mezzanine. Call Paula Stoltz at 412-334-2509.
• Mt. Lebanon, 8:30 a.m. Aug. 13, 27, Crowne Plaza, Fort Couch Road. Call Sue Baumgart at 412-759-3965.
• South Hills, 8 a.m. King’s Restaurant, Upper St. Clair. Call Karen McCrory at 412-831-1837.
• Bethel Park, 6 p.m. Aug. 1, 15, Bethel Municipal Building. Call Tamra McKenna at 412-885-5162.
• Book Bingo, 7 p.m. Aug. 10. Win new books for all ages.
• Creative Kids/Clean out the Craft Cupboards, ages 8-12, 3 p.m. Aug. 1.
• Science in the Summer, grades 2-4, 1 p.m. Aug. 6.
• Harry Potter Trivia, 6:30 p.m. Aug. 6. Trivia and games.
• Toddler Tunes, 10:30 a.m. Aug. 1 and 8.
• Read & Stroll, birth to pre-K, 3 p.m. Aug. 6.
• Kid Chefs first cooking lesson, 6 p.m. Aug. 13. Supplies provided.
• Summer Reading ends at 10:30 a.m. Aug. 14 with a bowling party at AMF Lanes. Invitations will be mailed.
• Children’s Book Sale until Aug. 10.
• Book Club, 6:30 p.m. Aug. 22. Discuss “The Kite Runner” by Khaled Hosseini.
• Fill a bag of used books for $5.
• Crafters of all skills may bring their knitting, needlework, sewing or other stitchery project at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays. Enjoy tea and conversation.
• Teen Lock-in, 7 p.m. Aug. 2.
• Sahaja Meditation, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 5, 12, 19, 26. Free.
• Fun with Animals with Verna McGinley, 10:30 a.m. Aug. 7. Theme is Mother Nature’s Diner.
• Star Wars Day, noon Aug. 10. Make a light saber.
• Writer’s Group, 7 p.m. Aug. 13.
• The library is closed on Sundays during summer months.
• Potluck Dinner, 6 p.m. Aug. 2. Bring a potluck dish made with locally grown foods to share.
• Teen Movie Night, 5 p.m. Aug. 2, featuring “Jack the Giant Slayer.”
• PowerPoint Presentations, 7 p.m. Aug. 6. Cost is $5. Learn various themes and layouts.
• Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council will offer GED exam preparation at 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays, through August. Call 412-429-5380.
• Geode Guy, first grade and up, 3:30 p.m. Aug. 4.
• Quilting 101 & Beyond, 6 p.m. Aug. 6. All levels.
• Memorial & Honor Books remember a friend or loved one. Donations will purchase a library item and a nameplate will be placed inside.
• Writers Unleashed, for grades 5-8 and high school teens who have a passion for writing, meets one Saturday a month.
• Create a Healthy Home Using Essential Oils, 7 p.m. Aug. 8.
• How to Write Your Memoir, 10 a.m. Aug. 10 and 17.
• Chinese Paper Folding Art, 7 p.m. Aug. 12.
Upper St. Clair
• Jazz and Ice Cream Concert with musician Lee Robinson, kids and caregiver, 7 p.m. Aug. 8 at the McLaughlin Rec Center.
Southminster Nursery School, Mt. Lebanon, is enrolling students for the 2013-14 term. Openings are available for prekindergarten and parent/tot classes. To schedule a tour, call 412-343-8900.
Garden in the Parks
Penn State Master Gardeners of Allegheny County will sponsor Garden in the Parks Field Day 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Aug. 17 at the North and South Park demonstration gardens.
Master gardeners will offer horticultural topics, pollinators, herbs, composting and rain barrels. Talk with local beekeepers, sample tomatoes, garlic and basil pesto and vote for favorites. Children’s activities include hands-on gardening. Soil test kits will be sold for $9. For details, call 412-473-2540.
Allegheny County will sponsor a Wild Edibles program at 10 a.m. Aug. 3 at the South Park Nature Center. Taste woodland delicacies after the hike. For details, call 412-835-0143.
Pittsburgh Knit & Crochet Festival will sponsor it’s seventh knitting retreat Nov. 7-10. Knittreat will be held at the Omni Bedford Springs Resort & Spa. The package includes three nights lodging, meals, welcome reception, goodie bags, up to five classes, taxes and gratuities. To learn more, visit www.knittreat.com.
Bethel Park Community Foundation will continue its Tower Concerts at the Bethel Park Community Center. Free admission.
• Allegheny Brass Band at 2:30 p.m. Aug. 4.
D&M Chiropractic and Therapeutic Rehab, Upper St. Clair, will offer free consultation appointments on Aug. 7. Anyone suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome should call 412-833-1101.
Pathways to SmartCare and American HealthCare Group are sponsoring an outdoor yoga class at noon beginning July 31 and continuing for six weeks. Janet Tant will instruct this lunchtime class on the grass yard behind Beth El and Manor Oak in Green Tree. An indoor space is available in event of bad weather.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following health programs:
• Bone Density Screening, 1-3 p.m. Aug. 7, Healthy Directions, Finleyville Giant Eagle.
• Barbecue by The Rib Cage, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Aug. 9. Hospital’s central plaza. Ribs or pulled pork sandwiches. Call 724-258-1167.
• Healthy Eating Supermarket Tours, Finleyville Giant Eagle, 3-5 p.m. Aug. 15. Call 724-258-1148 to register.
Penn State Master Gardeners will hold training for new master gardeners in Washington County at Peters Township Public Library in September. Training covers basic plant and soil science, plant propagation, integrated pest management and pruning.
For details, call 724-228-6881.
Cooking and wine
Dreadnought Wines in the Strip District will sponsor the following classes:
• Wine & Grilling, 6 p.m. Aug. 10. Learn to grill meat and match wines to grilled foods. Cost is $55 for a full buffet meal paired with wines.
• Italian Wine Dinner, 6 p.m. Aug. 15 at The Omni William Penn Hotel. Enjoy a few Italian wines paired with the cuisine of Jacky Francois. Cost is $75 plus tax and gratuity.
To register, call 412-391-1709.
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks will sponsor workshops on home repairs at the Landmarks Preservation Resource Center, Rebecca Street, Wilkinsburg:
• Frank Lloyd Wright, 6 p.m. Aug. 15. Presented by Albert M. Tannler, historical collections director.
To register, call Mary Lu Denny at 412-471-5808 ext. 527.
Getting Together – July 31
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Religion - Sept. 11 (36)
Paint-your-own pottery: a fun indoor activity (35)
Plans for psychiatric facility rile North Strabane residents (21)
Lions roar past Imhotep, 41-0 (189)
No real estate tax increase in Peters Twp. (125)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
USC man charged with obstruction of justice (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)