Mt. Lebanon scout creates Sensory Garden at BVRS
The grounds at Blind & Vision Rehabilitation Services of Pittsburgh (BVRS) have been spruced up with the addition of a sensory garden created and designed by Matthew Scotti, a Mt. Lebanon Eagle Scout candidate. The garden, near the front entrance of the Homestead building, is a beautiful space for clients, visitors and staff to enjoy different types of flowers, herbs, a water fountain, wind chimes and benches.
A sensory garden is a garden or other plot specifically created to be accessible and enjoyable to persons with a disability and provides individual and combined sensory opportunities that they may not normally experience.
Last summer, Matthew was a volunteer for Blind & Vision Rehab’s summer program for teenagers who are blind or vision impaired. His volunteer experience led to the idea for a sensory garden. He raised more than $2,500 for his Eagle Scout project, along with donations of topsoil, stones and the water fountain. The 16-year-old will be a junior at Central Catholic High School in the fall. Matthew is a Life Scout with Boy Scout Troop 65 in Mt. Lebanon and expects to earn his Eagle Scout rank this fall.
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Lebo commission tables zoning change after outspoken criticism (1182)
Siak, Worcester lead BP into PIHL finals (227)
Dagnal leads PT into PIHL finals (181)
Dudzinski smashes state record (175)
Canon-Mac, South Fayette advance to Final Four in wrestling (157)
Lebo commission tables zoning change after outspoken criticism (373)
USC man killed in plane crash at Washington Airport (207)
SLS, Canevin headed for showdown (170)
Twerking conversation has gone on too long (146)
Surveillance cameras key to catching criminals (145)
Twerking conversation has gone on too long (2)
Ballroom dancing not the answer (1)
PSU students still battle shadow of Sandusky’s actions (1)