Getting together – Aug. 7
• Civil War Room is open 11 a.m.-3 p.m. on Saturdays and weekdays by appointment. To schedule a tour, call 412-276-3456.
• Pin It Up, grades 5 and up, 7 p.m. Aug. 15. Learn to do makeup, hair and nails.
• Pet Blogging, 10 a.m. Aug. 16. Bring digital pet photos to create a free account.
• Lunch and Learn/Coping with Alzheimer’s Disease, noon Aug. 20. Bring lunch.
• Puppet Workshop with Puppets for Pittsburgh, 10 a.m. Aug. 21.
• Computer Basics, 10:30 a.m. Aug. 9. Basic skills. Four classes.
• Acoustic Open Mic & Craft Beer Swap, 6:30 p.m. Aug. 11. Bring favorite craft selections to share. Sign up for Open Mic begins at 6:15 p.m.
• Blanket Brigade, 2 p.m. Aug. 13. Make blankets for patients. Bring 1 1/2 yards printed fleece, 1 1/2 yards plain, coordinated fleece or a ready-to-make kit and sharp fabric scissors. No sewing required.
• Book Discussion, 7 p.m. Aug. 12. Discuss “The Paris Wife” by Paula McLain.
• Six Facts of Fear: How Fear Adversely Effects People’s Lives, Business and Career, 7 p.m. Aug. 14. Mini seminar will cover “The Invisible Enemy.”
• Kick-off to Kindergarten Storytime, 7 p.m. Aug. 21 and 10:30 a.m. Aug. 22.
• Concert in the Courtyard: Hardbark Sycamore, Aug. 8.
• Women’s Conversation Circles, 10 a.m. Aug. 14. Meet neighbors from around the world. Refreshments.
• Screenwriters Group, 10 a.m. Aug. 17.
• Teen writing, 4 p.m. Aug. 8. Topics will include writing styles, grammar and outlines.
• Open house and tour, 6 and 7:45 p.m. Aug. 8 or 22. Learn about resources and materials available. RSVP at the library or to email@example.com.
• Pictionary Challenge/Pizza Party, 6 p.m. Aug. 8.
• Paws for Reading, grades 1 and up, 10 a.m. Aug. 10. Read to a therapy dog.
• Girls’ Night Out Book Club, grades 3-6, 6 p.m. Aug. 12. Discuss “The Little Prince” by Antoine De Saint-Exupery.
• Family Movie Night, 6 p.m. Aug. 13. Enjoy “Finding Nemo.”
• Genealogical Research, 7 p.m. Aug. 13. Learn to search your roots using library resources. Cost is $5.
• Book Bingo, K-eighth grade, 7 p.m. Aug. 8.
• Conversation Salon, 1 p.m. Aug. 12. Topic will be the attack on Benghazi and little known facts about Allegheny County.
• Science in the Summer, Aug. 12-15. Topic is genes.
• Finishers, 5:30 p.m. Aug. 20. Bring crafts to work on.
• PALS Book Club, noon Aug. 20. Discuss “Dreams of Joy” by Lisa See.
• Book Club, 7 p.m. Aug. 15. Discuss “The Submission” by Amy Waldman.
Southminster Nursery School, Mt. Lebanon, is enrolling students for the 2013-14 term. Openings are available for pre-K and parent/tot classes. To schedule a tour, call 412-343-8900.
The Grand Concourse at Station Square will celebrate its 35th anniversary at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 14. Cost is $75 per person. A portion of the proceeds will benefit Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation.
For details, call 412-261-1717.
A free electronics recycling event will be held 9 a.m.-noon Aug. 10 at South Hills Assembly in Bethel Park. Desktop computers, laptops, tablets, servers, hard drives, mobile devices, consumer electronics and computer accessories will be accepted. No televisions. Hard drive destruction will be offered for $10.
Washington County Parks and Amateur Astronomer’s Association will sponsor a star party Aug. 9 and 10 at the Mingo Creek Observatory near Shelter 10. The program will begin at dusk. Rain or clouds will cancel the viewing. No fee.
Bethel Park Community Foundation will continue its Tower Concerts with the Keystone Barbershop group at 2:30 p.m. Aug. 11 at the Bethel Park Community Center. No charge. Donations accepted.
Allegheny County will sponsor a Wildflower Walk, 10 a.m. Aug. 17 starting in the Oliver Miller Homestead Parking Lot, South Park.
For details, call 412-835-0143.
Shadyside’s Summer Art Festival will be held Aug. 24 and 25 on Walnut Street. Local, regional and national artists will be featured. Live music and free giveaways of original paintings. For details, visit www.artfestival.com.
Lucky Dog Days of Summer Bingo will be held Aug. 24 at the Mt. Pleasant VFD Hall in Hickory. Early birds begin at 5:30 p.m. Regular bingo begins at 6. Admission is $20 at the door or $18 in advance. Includes 12 bingo cards, dessert, beverage and doggie gift bag. Meet a few lucky dogs of summer.
Proceeds benefit Angel Ridge Animal Rescue emergency medical fund. Tickets are available at Angel Ridge, Woody’s Dog Wash and the Hickory Fire Department.
Purple ribbon campaign
Domestic Violence Services of Southwestern PA is looking for individuals, businesses, schools, churches and agencies to participate in its Purple Ribbon Tree Campaign. In October, community residents decorate small trees and shrubs with purple ribbons and larger trees with big bows to help raise awareness of Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
Those interested in decorating a tree or to find out other ways to help, call 724-223-5477 in Washington County.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following health programs:
• Healthy Eating Supermarket Tours, Finleyville Giant Eagle, 3-5 p.m. Aug. 15. Call 724-258-1148 to register.
• Bariatric Surgery Information Session, 6 p.m. Aug. 21 at Mon-Vale HealthPLEX. Call 412-641-3632.
Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy announces its 21st symposium. “Weaving Prayer and Presence in Health Ministry” will be held 8 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Oct. 26 at UPMC Mercy in Pittsburgh. The symposium provides education, resources and networking for those interested in starting health ministries in their faith communities.
For details, call 412-232-5815.
Dormont High School will hold its 10th annual gathering of graduates and friends at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 4 at the Crowne Plaza, Bethel Park. Cost is $43 per person. To RSVP, call 412-833-5967.
Canon-McMillan High School Class of ’88 will gather for its 25-year reunion at 6 p.m. Sept. 21 at the George Washington Hotel. For details, email CMClassof1988@yahoo.com.
Canon-McMillan High School class of ’63 will hold its 50-year reunion Aug. 9 and 10 at Lindenwood Golf Club. For details, call Ray Dami at 724-941-1297.
Carrick High School Class of 1963 will hold its 50th anniversary reunion on Aug. 17 at South Hills Country Club. Contact Judie Ball at firstname.lastname@example.org with addresses of classmates. Other CHS classes may attend.
Class of ’63
South Hills High School Class of ’63 will hold its 50-year reunion Sept. 28. For details, call Sandi (Esposito) Demas at 412-854-2740.
Cooking and wine
Dreadnought Wines in the Strip District will sponsor the following classes:
• Summer in Provence and the South of France Wine Dinner, 6:30 p.m. Aug. 21 at Bridge Ten Brasserie. Five courses of French Fayre. Cost is $55 per person.
To register, call 412-391-1709.
Pittsburgh Glass Center plans the following classes:
• Bead Challenge, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 14. Glass artists will make beads for Beads of Courage at Children’s Hospital.
• Girls Night Out, 6 p.m. Sept. 20. Bring a friend. Make a glass ornament. $60 for two includes hors d’oeuvres, wine/beer, entertainment.
•For details, call 412-365-2145.
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks will sponsor lectures on historic homes at the Landmarks Preservation Resource Center, Rebecca Street, Wilkinsburg:
• Ornamental glass windows at Clayton 1882-1903, 6 p.m. Aug. 8.
• Incredible Penn Avenue, 254 years after Gen. John Forbes’ victory, 6 p.m. Aug. 22. More than 300 photos will take participants along Penn Avenue from Wilkinsburg to Pittsburgh’s Point.
To register, call Mary Lu Denny at 412-471-5808 ext. 527.
Getting together – Aug. 7
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
South Fayette headed to Hershey (128)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (31)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (27)
Three pizza restaurants and a BP (23)
Paint-your-own pottery: a fun indoor activity (22)
South Fayette headed to Hershey (113)
USC questions new progress ratings (1)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)