World Series qualifiers
Pictured from left are: (front) Natalie Adams, Nya Adams, Taylor Mendicino, Bailey Fialkovich, Kierston Spiewak, Megan Miller; (middle) Coach Gregg Adams, Halei Johnson, Julie Curry, Rachel Rousseau, Johnna Mocniak, Shaelyn Gillham, Krista Bayus, and Coach Denny Mendicino; (back) Coach Greg Rousseau. Not pictured: Amani Johnson.
The “Battle of Shock Town” proved to be the springboard that propelled a local 14U softball team into its first USSSA Eastern Regional World Series appearance in Salisbury, Md., recently.
There the squad earned third place to complete a remarkable 2013 season.
After four days of play and 11 games, the Pittsburgh Shock, as the 14U team is dubbed, finished third out of 60 teams that participated.
“We are extremely pleased with the commitment, dedication and results from every young lady,” said manager Gregg Adams.
“We have a strong core of talented young ladies on this team and they’ve made a name for themselves with their play at the 2013 World Series,” added John Koutsogiani, club founder of the club.
The 14U team now heads to Rock Hill, S.C., to participate in the Queen of Diamonds South collegiate showcase tournament at the end of August.
Based in Peters Township, the Shock started out as a single team at the 10U level in 2012.
The organization now fields travel teams at the 10U, 12U and 14U level.
Tryouts for the 2013-14 season are currently underway. Next tryout dates are Aug. 10 and 17.
Visit www.pittsburghshock.com for details.
World Series qualifiers
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
South Hills Village undergoing renovation (100)
Piece of former Mayview property taken by eminent domain (57)
Carla Hall of ‘The Chew’ visiting Giant Eagle Market District (53)
Bethel Park wins national hockey championship (51)
South Hills Village undergoing renovation (627)
Brookline residents still wary of Castlegate development (222)
Peters Township School Board issues deadline to booster groups (109)
Mt. Lebanon assessments grossly unfair (3)
Lebo rifle space still in limbo (3)
USC residents get a lot for their tax dollars (3)
Charges on South Fayette bully victim to be dropped (1)
Air quality a concern (1)