Pig roast planned at Eighty Four church
Thomas Presbyterian Church, Eighty Four, will hold its annual community pig roast and corn boil 3-7 p.m. Aug. 24. Games for children and the Magic and Illusion of Dalton Lee will provide entertainment at 5 p.m. The Pirate Parrot will be on hand 4:30-5:30. Bingo begins at 6, followed by the Chinese auction drawing.
Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for ages 4-10. Children under 4 are free. Hot dogs will be available for children. Proceeds will benefit Domestic Violence Services.
The Bible Chapel, McMurray, will hold the following:
• Anthem, 6-8 p.m. Aug. 22. Roots Senior High youth will lead worship and focus on Taking Heart as students head back to school. Students, parents and siblings are invited.
• He’s Got Your Back, Aug. 17-18 at the South Hills, Washington and Robinson sites. Backpacks for the He’s Got Your Back campaign can be dropped off at any campus Outreach table before, during or after services on these two dates. For a list of suggested school supplies to fill the backpack, visit the Events page at biblechapel.org.
• Sermon series – Living Grounded: I’m Glad You Asked, foundational principals of Christian faith. Sessions run through Sept. 1. Family Under Attack, Sept. 7-8, with topics like God’s Design for the Family, Sexuality, Divorce, Living Together, Homosexuality and Parenting.
• MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) offers twice-monthly meetings including childcare, support, guidance and fellowship, beginning Oct. 7. Registration is now open.
• Transformed Bible Study, 9:30 a.m. Sept. 10. Join the transformation to study the book of Matthew. Each Tuesday begins with a time of worship followed by Bible study.
For more information, visit www.biblechapel.org.
Faith Formation at St. Patrick Parish, Canonsburg, will soon begin meeting with men and women who are interested in becoming Catholic, learning more about the Catholic faith or completing the sacraments. Sessions will be held at 7 p.m. on Mondays in St. Patrick Center. For more information, call 724-745-3787.
‘My New Life’
Bethany Presbyterian Church, Bridgeville, presents “My New Life” conducted by Dr. John Mazzola at 6 p.m. Sundays. The focus will be on marriage, relationships and personal needs. To register, call 412-600-05618. Donations are voluntary.
Legacy Baptist Church,located in Accelerando Music Conservatory on Washington Road, North Strabane, holds Sunday worship services at 11 a.m. and 12:45 p.m., with choir practice at 10:10 a.m. and Sunday school at 10:30.
Bible study is held Thursday evenings at 7 p.m.
For information, call 724-621-6785 or visit www.legacybaptistchurch.us.
Peters Creek Presbyterian Church, Venetia, will begin its fall worship schedule on Sept. 8.
Worship will be held at 8:30 and 11 a.m. Sunday school classes for adults and children begin at 9:45 a.m. followed by a kickoff celebration with kids games at 12:15 p.m.
For more information, call 724-941-6210.
Auditions of ages 18 and older for the 2013-14 Diocesan Choir season will begin soon. The choir is under the direction of Father Jim Chepponis, music director for the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh. The choir performs for major diocesan events at St. Paul Cathedral. Openings are available in the soprano, alto, tenor and bass sections.
Rehearsals are held at St. John Capistran Church in Upper St. Clair. For audition times, call Doris Anne at 412-456-3042.
In addition to its regular Hebrew School, held 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Sundays, beginning Sept. 8, Chabad of the South Hills, Mt. Lebanon, will offer a new program from 4:30-6 p.m. Wednesdays, beginning Oct. 9 at Crowne Plaza Hotel. It will be divided into three separate, seven-week sessions designed to give children basic Jewish skills and love and knowledge of his/her heritage.
Both the Hebrew School and the new program are for ages 4-13. Choose any combination of the programs. No membership or affiliation required. Affordable rates and small classes. Scholarships available.
For more information, call 412-344-2424 or visit www.chabadsh.com.
Bethel Presbyterian Church offers “Deeper Looks at Small Books of the Bible,” a program for women, at 7 p.m. Wednesdays at Panera Bread, South Park Shops.
For more information, call 412-835-0405.
Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, offers summer body sculpting and aerobics classes.
• Friday Aerobics – 9:30-10:30 a.m., through Aug. 23. High energy, low-impact class with a variety of music. For the beginner to the very fit and all ages. Bring a mat and water bottle.
• Full Body Strength – 8-9 a.m. Saturdays, through Aug. 24. Wear appropriate footwear and bring a mat. No experience required.
To enroll or for information, call 412-835-6630 or visit wroc.westminster-church.org.
Legacy Baptist Church, located in Accelerando Music Conservatory, offers Sunday services at 11 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. Choir practice is held at 10:10 a.m., and Sunday school at 10:30. Bible study takes place at 7 p.m. Thursdays.
For more information, call 724-621-6785 or visit www.legacybaptistchurch.us.
Hamilton Presbyterian Church, Bethel Park, offers weekly contemporary service 6:30 p.m. Saturdays. For more information, call 412-884-2722.
Canonsburg U.P. Church will have a food booth at the Washington County Fair, through Aug. 17. Sandwiches, salads and more will be available for purchase.
Beth Moore teaching
Jesus Fellowship Church, Bethel Park, will embark on another in-depth teaching for women with Beth Moore: “James/Mercy Triumphs.”
There are five levels of participation. Choose the level(s) that best suit your needs and time schedule.
Level 1 - Viewing the video (no cost to participate if you do not want the work book)
Level 2 - Doing the homework
Level 3 - Writing the Book of James
Level 4 - Additional study - Melissa’s (Beth’s daughter) articles
Level 5 - Memorizing the Book of James
The first meeting will take place at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 9 at Jesus Fellowship (6151 Brush Run Road, Bethel Park). Call 412-833-8419 by Aug. 25 to RSVP, order a work book, or with questions. Bring a friend.
National contemporary Christian music artist Randall Goodgame brings “Slugs & Bugs” tour to Christ United Methodist Church, Bethel Park, at 4 p.m. Sept. 21. Sponsored by the United Methodist Pittsburgh District, the show offers family fun through Christian music and is geared especially for children under 10.
Advance ticket sale packages are available with special perks such as discount pricing, group seating and organizational banner to be displayed at the event.
Tickets are $5/person. Call Janet Luketich at 412-835-6621 ext. 110, Sue Irwin at 412-835-6621 ext. 114, or Andrea Erbrecht at 724-330-5350.
Adult Bible study
The Bible Study Committee at St. Bernard’s Church, Mt. Lebanon, will hold a 20-session adult Bible study on “The Acts of the Apostles,” using the “Great Adventure Bible Series.”
The sessions will take place from 7-9 p.m. Mondays, beginning Sept. 16 in Clairvaux Hall.
See how the Apostles, through the Holy Spirit, continued Christ’s mission on Earth; find how the Kingdom of God is truly among us in the church established by Christ; and come to a greater appreciation for the entire Catholic faith.
No prerequisites. All adult ages are encouraged to attend.
Early registration fee of $35 is due by Aug. 25. After that date, the registration fee is $45, due by Sept. 15. To register or for more information, contact Camille Cash at 412-344-3287 or CCC3rivers@aol.com.
Canonsburg U. P. Church has planned a three-day, two-night trip to Lancaster to see “Noah” and then a visit to Gettysburg on Sept. 24-26. For details, call 724-745-0800.
• A GriefShare program will be held at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 4-Nov. 20 in Fellowship Hall. Call 724-745-0800 for details.
Nativity of The Virgin Mary Orthodox Church, Monongahela, will hold its 15th Annual Ethnicfest Sept. 28-29 at Chess Park.
Ethnicfest opens at 10 a.m. on Saturday and noon on Sunday. The event closes at dusk on both days.
There will be ethnic and American food booths, a flea market, bake sale and a bounce house for kids. The Nutones polka band will perform live from 3 p.m.-dusk on Saturday and 1-4 p.m. on Sunday.
Pig roast planned at Eighty Four church
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
O’Connor invests in BP basketball (40)
Chishko, Macri win PIAA titles (36)
Chishko, Macri win PIAA titles (27)
South Park resident among those missing on Malaysia Airlines flight (214)
Program sheds light on Affordable Healthcare Act (149)
Army Reserves members read to students (98)
Chishko, Macri win PIAA titles (95)
Ballroom dancing not the answer (1)
PSU students still battle shadow of Sandusky’s actions (1)
Colella appointed to fill vacant BP council seat (1)