Roamin' in the South Hills
Together Listings - Aug. 21
Green Tree Young Professionals will meet at 7 p.m. Aug. 29 at the Green Tree Fire Hall. The mission of GTYP is to provide professionals ages 21-40 living in Green Tree Borough with an opportunity to make a positive impact on their community. For details, contact David Rea at firstname.lastname@example.org
South Hills Women’s Club will meet at 8 p.m. Sept. 9 at Vanadium Woods, Scott Township. Elder law attorney Andrew Sykes will discuss Medicaid, estate planning and administration. Refreshments will be offered. For details, call 412-279-3949.
Share the harvest
South Park Women’s Club will start off its new year with a “Share Your Harvest Exchange” at 7 p.m. Sept. 16 at the South Park Community Center. Bring your fresh fruit, vegetables and flowers.
The club will sponsor a fundraising event 6-8 p.m. Sept. 4 at Rita’s Ice in Bethel Park. Support local families by purchasing Rita’s Ice during this time.
Southwestern PA Registered Nurses Club will hold its 14th annual fall card party at 10:30 a.m. Sept. 28. Play cards, games or just socialize. Admission is $25. Includes lunch and prizes. Tickets for a Chinese auction, Share the Wealth and raffle will be sold at the event. For luncheon tickets, call Elizabeth Breneman at 412-655-9420. Proceeds will benefit the nursing scholarship fund.
• View Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn in “The African Queen” at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 11 in the music hall.
• Arthritis Foundation-10 Keys to Healthy Aging, 11 a.m. Tuesdays/Thursdays Sept. 3-Nov. 7.
• Preschool Spanish, 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 3-24.
• Whale of a Tale Writing Club, grades 2-4, 2 p.m. Sundays in September.
• Historian John Oyler will present the works of Andrew Knez Jr., depicting the frontier life of 1750-1830. Reenactors will attend.
• Andrew Knez Jr. exhibit opening 7-8 p.m. Aug. 22. Paintings represent the frontier life in North America.
• Andrew Knez Jr. exhibit grand opening 6-9 p.m. Aug. 23. Wine, hors d’oeuvres, art and music by Kim Losego. Cost is $10.
• Waggin & Overdrive Class, 6 p.m. Sept. 5. Learn to navigate the library.
• Lunch & Learn, Recipe Swap, 11:30 a.m. Sept. 13. Share recipes for meals, appetizers, beverages or desserts. Bring a sample to share. Call to register.
• Closed Labor Day Sept. 2.
• Mystery Crafts, all ages, 4:30 p.m. Sept. 4.
• Book Club, 7 p.m. Sept. 4. Read “The Monster of Florence” by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi.
• Civil War Reenactment, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 31. A “Name the Event” contest is planned. Winner will receive a private screening of the movie “Lincoln” for 20. A used book sale will be held all day for $5 a bag.
• WWII Discussion Group, 11 a.m. Aug. 28.
• Mystery Book Club, 1 p.m. Aug. 28. Discuss “Thyme of Death” by Susan Wittig Albert.
• Flashback Movie Night, 6 p.m. Aug. 29. Enjoy “E.T.”
Upper St. Clair
• Family Fun with ventriloquist Cindy Speck, ages 4-8, 7 p.m. Aug. 22.
The older 4s class at Beverly Heights Christian Preschool, Mt. Lebanon, meets four afternoons each week. Kindermusik, science experiments, library, math, reading and writing are included. For details, call 412-561-7200.
John McMillan Preschool, Bethel Park, is celebrating 40 years of serving children. Parent & Tot classes are held on Friday mornings. Classes for 2s, 3s, 4s and T-class and a kindergarten enrichment program are held on Mondays. To schedule a tour, call Pat Folino at 412-833-4704.
Temple Emanuel Early Childhood Development Center has openings for the 2013-14 school year. Choose from First Experience for ages 15 months to 2 years with a caregiver, 2s, 3s, kindergarten transition and kindergarten enrichment.
For details, call Iris Harlan at 412-279-7687.
Thomas Christian Preschool has a few openings for the fall term. Classes are available for 2-, 3- and 4-year-olds. For details, call Terri Kleinhans at 724-941-8910.
Peters Township Recreation Center holds the following programs:
• Kindermusik Move & Groove, ages 4-5, 2 p.m. Thursdays.
• Basketball for ages 3-6, 1 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays.
• Stretch-N-Grove for ages 3-5, 1 p.m. Wednesdays or Fridays.
For details, call 724-942-5000.
Baldwin Community U.M. Church Preschool offers Tuesday/Thursday afternoon classes for 3-year-olds at a discounted rate. For details, call 412-440-0509.
Friendly Squares will host a free fun night of square dancing at 7 p.m. Sept. 8 at St. Benedict the Abbot Church, McMurray. Families, singles and couples are welcome.
For details, call 412-302-1960.
Chartiers Custom Pet Cremation will commemorate Pet Memorial Sunday at 2 p.m. Sept. 8 at Melrose Cemetery in Bridgeville. Dr. Brad Carmichael will speak on “Our Last Moments Together.” Elizabeth Babcock will speak on “Our Initial Grief Response,” and Bernadette Kazmarski’s topic will be “The Joy of Pets.”
For details, call 412-220-7800.
Red, Ripe and Roasted
Phipps Conservatory will host its 9th Red, Ripe and Roasted Tomato and Garlic Festival 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 25. This family-friendly event features cooking demos, tomato contest (prizes for ugliest, smallest or largest tomato), farmers’ market and activities for kids.
Bring a bag of fresh produce to help community members through the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank. Last year’s event collected more than 3,100 pounds of food.
The Little Gym, McMurray, opens its 2013-14 season on Aug. 26. The program is for ages 4 months to 12 years old. For details, call 724-941-0100.
The Central Blood Bank will conduct a blood drive 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Aug. 28 at Peters Township Public Library. All donors will receive two Pittsburgh Pirate tickets. For an appointment, call 412-209-7213.
D&M Chiropractic and Therapeutic Rehab, Upper St.Clair, will hold Patient Appreciation Day on Sept. 2. Existing patients will receive a complimentary adjustment and all new patients will receive a complimentary initial exam and consultation with the doctors. For an appointment, call 412-833-1101.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following health programs:
• Advanced Carbohydrate Counting, ECC, 6 p.m. Aug. 28. Call 724-258-1483.
• Bone density screening, 1-3 p.m. Sept. 4, Healthy Directions-Finleyville Giant Eagle.
Domestic Violence Services of Southwestern PA offers empowerment counseling for domestic violence victims. Individual counseling is available one-on-one with information, referrals and general and legal advocacy.
Safe shelter and support services for victims and their children who are forced to flee their homes is free and confidential. For details, call 724-223-9190.
Heritage Players will offer acting and dance classes for all ages at the Seton Center in Brookline, starting Sept. 13. Course descriptions and online registration available at www.heritageplayers.org.
Pittsburgh Glass Center plans the following classes:
• Bead Challenge, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 14. Glass artists will make beads for Beads of Courage at Children’s Hospital.
• Girls Night Out, 6 p.m. Sept. 20. Bring a friend. Make a glass ornament. $60 for two includes hors d’oeuvres, wine/beer, entertainment.
For details, call 412-365-2145.
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks will sponsor lectures on historic homes at the Landmarks Preservation Resource Center, Rebecca Street, Wilkinsburg:
• Incredible Penn Avenue, 254 years after Gen. John Forbes’ victory, 6 p.m. Aug. 22. More than 300 photos will take participants along Penn Avenue from Wilkinsburg to Pittsburgh’s Point.
To register, call Mary Lu Denny at 412-471-5808 ext. 527.
McMurray Art League lists its roster of fall classes on its website, www.mcmurrayartleague.org. September’s sessions include:
• Watercolor with Tom McNickle, 10 a.m. Sept. 3, 10, 17, 24.
• Watercolor with Sue Levy, 10 a.m. Sept. 4, 11, 18, 25.
• Art lecture series with Elaine Wertheim, 10 a.m. Sept. 23, Oct. 14, Nov. 18.
For details, call Ginnie Swartz at 412-835-8081.
Square dance fun
Peanut Squares Square Dance Club is sponsoring free nights of square dancing for those interested in learning to square dance. Dances are planned at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 19 at SS Simon and Jude Church, Green Tree and 7:30 p.m. Sept. 26 at Southminister Presbyterian Church, Mt. Lebanon. No experience, costumes or partner are requried. Refreshments will be served.
For details, call 412-221-1192.
Roamin' in the South Hills
Together Listings - Aug. 21
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Second arrest made in Mt. Lebanon shooting (147)
Obscene graffiti found on South Fayette school buildings (123)
Brumbaugh, Watson named Almanac MVPs (122)
Religion - Sept. 11 (100)
Sights & Sounds - Oct. 30 (79)
Obscene graffiti found on South Fayette school buildings (97)
South Hills Promo (25)
Briefs – Dec. 25 (20)
Sports briefs Dec. 18 (19)
Haag – Little (19)
Say no to SB 76 (7)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
USC man charged with obstruction of justice (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)
Drunk driving mothers deserve jail time (1)