Washington County Chamber of Commerce will sponsor its Breakfast Briefing & Last Swing Golf Outing at 7:45 a.m. Sept. 20 at Southpointe Golf Club. Geraldine M. Jones, president of California University of Pennsylvania, will be the speaker.
The golf outing will follow at $90 per golfer. To register, call 724-225-3010.
Upper St. Clair Coterie will meet at 11:30 a.m. Sept. 12 at Chartiers Country Club. Colour Me Beautiful will begin the club’s 52nd year with lunch and a program. To RSVP, call 724-745-4206.
Washington County Chamber of Commerce will present Beyond Google at 8 a.m. Sept. 12 at the Cambria Suites, Washington. Learn about online strategies and resources for researching companies with Red House Consulting.
To register, call 724-225-3010.
Woman’s Club of Upper St. Clair will meet at 11:30 a.m. at Christ U.M. Church, Bethel Park. Lunch is served at noon. To RSVP, call 412-833-1262.
Ventriloquist Cindy Speck will entertain Oct. 15.
Chapters of Women’s Business Network meet as follows:
• McMurray, 8:30 a.m. Sept. 18, The Meadows Mezzanine. Call Melissa Ball at 412-885-4139.
• Mt. Lebanon, 8:30 a.m. Sept. 24, Crowne Plaza, Fort Couch Road. Call Sue Baumgart at 412-759-3965.
• South Hills, 8 a.m. Sept. 19, King’s Restaurant, Upper St. Clair. Call Karen McCrory at 412-831-1837.
• Bethel Park, 6 p.m. Sept. 19, Bethel Park Municipal Building. Call Tamra McKenna at 412-885-5162.
POWER of Southpointe will sponsor its second Women’s Financial Forum at 3 p.m. Sept. 17 at the Doubletree by Hilton, Washington. Speakers include Washington County Commission Diana Irey Vaughan and Melissa Stein, founder of POWER.
The forum is free to members and $15 for guests. Register at www.powerofsouthpointe.org.
Learn about the South Park Women’s Club 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 21 during Community Day in South Park. Club members will be on hand in the Clock Building at the fairgrounds.
Giant Oaks Garden Club will meet at 11:15 a.m. Oct. 3 at St. David Anglican Church, Venetia. KDKA’s Doug Oster will speak on What to do with Those Bulbs. Cost for lunch and program is $7.
To RSVP, call 724-746-4664.
Mothers & More will hold an open house at 7:15 p.m. Oct. 7 at Sunnyhill Unitarian Universalist Church, Mt. Lebanon. All moms are welcome for adult interaction, friendship, encouragement and support. This group plans play groups, couples-only nights, community service, pampering night, family events, book club and mom and tots outings.
Southwestern PA Registered Nurses Club will meet at 9:30 a.m. Sept. 17 at Hamilton Presbyterian Church. The topic will be “The Affordable Care Act.” For details, call 412-561-6905.
Golden Triangle Decorative Painters will hold its 25th annual painting retreat Oct. 17-20. “Painting in the Tropics” will be held at the Antiochian Village Conference and Retreat Center in Ligonier. For information on classes and registration, visit www.gtdp.org.
South Hills Women’s Club will meet at 8 p.m. Sept. 9 at Vanadium Woods in Scott Township. Elder law attorney Andrew Sykes will speak on Medicaid planning, estate planning and administration. Refreshments will be served.
For details, call 412-279-3949.
• Storytime for Adults, 11 a.m. Sept. 11.
• Mother Goose on the Loose, 10 a.m. Sept. 11.
• Preschool Storytime, 10 and 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Fridays Sept. 13-Nov. 22.
• Teen Zone, seventh and eighth grades, 3 p.m. Sept. 13.
• Writing workshop with Stephanie Keyes, 9 a.m. Sept. 14.
• Pet Show, 11 a.m. Sept. 7. Door prizes, refreshments.
• Western Pennsylvania Humane Society adoption clinic, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 7.
• Chuck Falletta Memorial Pet Walk for the Cause, 10 a.m. Sept. 7. $5 per pet. Goodies, prizes. Proceeds benefit the library.
• Teen Time, 3:30 p.m. Wednesdays. Games, snacks, crafts.
• Computer Survival Skills, 10:15 a.m. Sept. 9 and 11. $5.
• Book Discussion Group, 7 p.m. Sept. 9. Read “City of Thieves” by David Beinioff.
• Book Sale Sept. 12-15. $6 bag sale every day.
• Book Sale, Sept. 21-28.
• One-on-One computer lessons available for $10 per hour.
• Library Explorers, K-fourth grade, 5 p.m. Mondays beginning Sept. 9.
• Gentle Yoga with Larkey Miller, 10 a.m. Tuesdays beginning Sept. 10. and 6:15 p.m. Thursdays beginning Sept. 12. Cost is $70 for seven sessions. Register at email@example.com.
• Family Night, 6:30 p.m. Thursdays beginning Sept. 12. Stories, crafts, games.
• Producing a Newsletter, 7 p.m. Sept. 10. Cost is $5.
• Photo Club, Sept. 11. Cost is $15 (annual dues).
• Family Movie Nights, 6 p.m. Sept.12. Watch Disney’s “Super Buddies.”
• Conversation Salon, 1 p.m. Sept. 9. Topics are presidential candidates and favorite TV shows.
• Book Bingo, K-eighth grade, 7 p.m. Sept. 12.
• International Dot Day, ages 5+, 2:30 p.m. Sept. 15.
• Launches, Sept. 3. Access high-demand eBooks and eAudio with Axis 360.
• Raffle for book donations. Donate any book on the summer reading list by Sept. 30 and enter to win $20 Target gift card.
• eReader drop-in help sessions, 6 p.m. Sept. 11, 25.
Upper St. Clair
• Living Muslim in PA, by Imam AbduSemi’h Tadese, 7 p.m. Sept. 5.
• Islamic Mosque Tour, Islamic Center of Pittsburgh, 12:30 p.m. Sept. 13.
The older 4s class at Beverly Heights Christian Preschool, Mt. Lebanon, meets four afternoons each week. Kindermusik, science experiments, library, math, reading and writing are included. For details, call 412-561-7200.
Animal Scat Hike
Washington County Parks will sponsor a Tricky Tracks/Animal Scat Hike at 6 p.m. Sept. 10, Shelter 6, Mingo Creek Park. Look for signs left behind by resident animals. No fee.
To register, call 724-228-6867.
A C.A.M.P. Coin Show will be held Sept. 6, 7, 8 at the Monroeville Convention Center. Hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday/Saturday and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday. Buy, sell and trade. Free admission. Daily gold coin giveaway and hourly door prizes.
Rotary Club of Bridgeville-South Fayette will sponsor its chili cook-off noon to 5 p.m. Sept. 15 at Fairview Park. Music and kid’s activities included.
For details, call 412-215-5717.
Jazz on Third
3rd Street Gallery, Carnegie, will present Jazz on 3rd at 3 p.m. Sept. 15. For tickets, call Bonita Farinelli at 412-331-1047.
Washington Health System Diagnostic Center in Peters Township will hold an open house noon to 4 p.m. Sept. 11.
Health and wellness
First Place 4 Health, Christ-centered, balanced weight-loss and healthy-living program will focus on the positive effects of good nutrtion and exercise. A free orientation meeting will be held at 9:30 a.m. Sept. 12 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. Child care will be available. To register, call Kathy Long at 412-835-6630 ext. 200.
The program will be held at 9:30 a.m. Thursdays, Sept. 19-Dec. 12.
YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh will sponsor a group diabetes prevention program at 6 p.m. Sept. 30 at the South Hills YMCA on McMurray Road.
Participants must be 18 or older and have a body mass index of 25 or greater. For other qualifying factors or to learn more about the program, call 412-227-3820.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following health programs:
• Healthy Eating Supermarket Tours, 6-8 p.m. Sept. 11, Bartolotta’s Giant Eagle. Call 724-258-1148.
• National School Backpack Awareness Day, 6 p.m. Sept. 17, Healthy Directions, Finleyville Giant Eagle.
Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, offers 55+ classes for all fitness levels:
• Arthritis Foundation joint flexibility
• Energy Boost low impact
• Energy Flow with standing Pilates
• Gentle Yoga
• Tai Chi, great for balance.
Arthritis Foundation will hold Tai Chi classes at 6 p.m. Tuesday beginning Sept. 17 or 11 a.m. Thursdays beginning Sept. 19 at St. Paul Episcopal Church, Mt. Lebanon. Relieve stress, reduce pain and build self confidence. To register, call 412-480-4492.
Heritage Players will offer acting and dance classes for all ages at the Seton Center in Brookline, starting Sept. 13. Course descriptions and online registration available at www.heritageplayers.org.
PA Connecting Communities will sponsor a yoga class at 11:45 a.m. for six Saturdays beginning Sept. 7 at the Bethel Park Community Center. Cost for residents is $50; nonresidents pay $55. To register, call 412-621-6151 ext. 206.
Dreadnought Wines in the Strip District will sponsor a Wine Tour de France series focusing on regional wines.
Classes are planned Sept. 4-The Loire, Sept. 11-Southern Rhone, Sept. 18-South of France.
Cost is $39 per person including a selection of charcuterie and cheeses. To register, call 412-391-1709.
Pittsburgh Glass Center plans the following classes:
• Make-it-Now Pumpkins, 1 p.m. Sept. 21. Create blown, fused or a flame-worked glass pumpkin for $25-$35 in 20 minutes.
• Art on Fire Celebration & Auction, 6-11 p.m. Sept. 27 at American Eagle Outfitters. Tickets are $95.
For details, call 412-365-2145.
Outdoor Classroom in Upper St. Clair plans the following events:
• Amphibians/Reptiles, families, 6 p.m. Sept. 6.
• Talk N’Walk: Wild Edibles, families, 2 p.m. Sept. 15.
• Full Moon Hikes, families, Sept. 19.
• Cozy Campfire Night, families, 7:30 p.m. Sept. 28.
For details, call 412-838-0064.
Square dance fun
Peanut Squares Square dance Club is sponsoring free nights of square dancing for those interested in learning to square dance. Dances are planned at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 19 at SS Simon and Jude Church on Greentree Road and 7:30 p.m. Sept. 26 at Southminister Presbyterian Church, Mt. Lebanon. No experience, costumes or partner are requried. Refreshments will be served.
For details, call 412-221-1192.
Youth and teen
Peters Township Recreation Department offers classes at the community center.
• Barre Basic: Dance, Pilates, Yoga, 8:30 a.m. Tuesdays or Thursdays.
• Zumba Gold, 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Chess, 5 p.m. Thursdays.
To register, call 724-942-5000.
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Achieving athletes - Dec. 4 (18)
Almanac Girls’ Soccer All-Stars (14)
BP’s Ruzzini named Almanac MVP (11)
Paint-your-own pottery: a fun indoor activity (9)
USC’s Steel Curtain (9)
Off duty Cecil police officer struck by car (66)
Bethel Park School District re-elects Cook as pres (60)
SF makes changes to proposed budget (56)
Almanac Girls’ Soccer All-Stars (15)
Achieving athletes - Dec. 4 (12)
USC questions new progress ratings (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)