Together Listings - Sept. 25
Countryside Book Club will meet at noon Oct. 1 at the home of Pam Lewis. Darlene Gaddis will review “True Sisters” by Sanddra Dallas.
Women’s Business Network, Bethel Park Chapter, will hold a meeting at 6 p.m. Oct. 3 at the municipal building. Leigh Ann Sobzach and Kelly Kaecher will present “Financial Tips for Small Businesses-Beyond the Shoebox.” Refreshments included. For details, call Tamra McKenna at 412-885-5162.
Upper St. Clair Coterie will meet at 11:30 a.m. Oct. 10 at St. Clair Country Club. Sabika will be featured. To RSVP, call 412-854-0853.
South Hills Artisans will host a self-guided Studio Crawl on Oct. 12. Enter to win artwork. Free. Visit www.southhillsartisantour.com for details and a map to each studio. For details, email email@example.com.
Southwestern Pennsylvania Registered Nurses Club will meet at 9:30 a.m. Oct. 15 at Hamilton Presbyterian Church, Bethel Park. Marcia E. Klein-Patel M.D. will speak on Sex after Menopause. For details, call 412-884-4480.
Woman’s Club of Upper St. Clair will meet at 11:30 a.m. Oct. 15 at Christ U.M. Church, Bethel Park. Lunch is served at noon. Ventriloquist Cindy Speck will entertain. To RSVP, call 412-833-1262.
Golden Triangle Decorative Painters will hold its 25th annual painting retreat Oct. 17-20.
“Painting in the Tropics” will be held at the Antiochian Village Conference and Retreat Center in Ligonier. For information on classes and registration, visit www.gtdp.org.
• Enchanting Europe, 7 p.m. Oct. 2. Visit London, Paris and Vienna.
• Buying a New Computer, 7 p.m. Oct. 3.
• Breakfast Club, 9:30 a.m. Saturdays in October. Breakfast and books.
• American Girl Book Club, 7 p.m. Oct. 7. Bring your favorite doll.
• Book Group, 6 p.m. Sept. 26 at Little Oasis. Discuss “No Time to Wave Goodbye” by Jacquelyn Mitchard.
• Join a group to knit/crochet for charities, 7 p.m. Sept. 26.
• Indian Classical Music with Pushkar Lele, 5 p.m. Sept. 29.
• Story Time, Pre-K and younger, 5 p.m. Oct. 17 and 11 a.m. Oct. 22.
• Mystery Book Club, 6:30 p.m. Oct. 3. Discuss “Sworn to Silence” by Linda Castillo.
• Preschool Fun Fridays, 10:30 a.m. Oct. 18, Song, dance, games, read.
• Used book sale - Friends will hold its annual used book sale Oct. 3-7 at the Green Tree Municipal Center. Preview sale open to Friends only 7-9 p.m. Thursday. Friends memberships are $5/individual or $8/family. Sale is 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday. A $6 bag sale noon-4 p.m. Sunday and a $5 bag sale 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday. Paperback and hardback books, vintage books, music, videos, books on CD. Most items priced at $1.
• Fall Auction at the library Oct. 12-Nov. 16. Drawings and bake sale on Nov. 16. Prizes include LA Fitness, Mary Kay Products, Pittsburgh Symphony and two Pitt/Miami tickets. Tickets are available at the library.
• Animation with film historian Elaine Wertheim, 7 p.m. Sept. 30.
• A Novel Affair: The Great Gatsby, 6 p.m. Oct. 12. Live music, period dances. Wear Gatsby-inspired attire. Tickets are $30 in advance or $35 at the door.
• Scrabble Club, 1 p.m. Saturdays.
• Reader’s Theater, 12:30 p.m. Mondays. Performs for senior living facilities.
• Animal Fair, 11 a.m. Sept. 28. Bring a pet supply donation for a nonprofit shelter.
• Chalk/Oil Pastel Drawing, ages 6-13, 4 p.m. Oct. 1, 8, 15, 22.
• Couponing Club, 6 p.m. Oct. 1, 15.
• Social Networking/Internet, 7 p.m. Oct. 1.
• Halloween Costume Swap, drop off costumes 3-5 p.m. Oct. 4. Shop for your swap, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 5.
• Free vinyasa flow yoga classes, 7 p.m. Tuesdays in October.
Upper St. Clair
• Scrapbooking, 10 a.m. Sept. 28.
• Ages 3-5 will learn about soccer, 11:45 a.m. Sept. 25-Nov. 4 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair.
Noah’s Ark Preschool, McMurray, will celebrate its 25th anniversary with a carnival 1-4 p.m. Oct. 5 in the parking lot/playground. Bouncies, games, prizes, food, face painting and crafts.
Wild World of Animals will present its exotic animal show at 1 p.m. Cost is $25 per family.
Tiny Hearts for Two
St. Valentine Preschool, Bethel Park, is accepting registrations for the Tiny Hearts for Two class. Playtime, crafts, story time, games and snack for 2 year olds and their adult buddy. For details, call 412-835-5539.
Learning with Harmony Preschool, Canonsburg, is accepting applications for 3-5 year olds. Classes are held Tuesdays through Thursadays. For details, call 724-746-5393.
St. David Preschool, Venetia, has openings in a.m. and p.m. classes for ages 2-5. The Mother’s Day Out program is open Monday-Friday. Morning/afternoon hours are available. Visit stdavidspt.org for details.
MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) at The Bible Chapel, McMurray, offers twice-monthly meetings including childcare, support, guidance and fellowship, beginning Oct. 7. Register at www.biblechapel.org.
Compassion Connection at South Hills Assembly, Bethel Park, will sponsor “Soberfest: A Celebration of Sobriety.” noon to 10 p.m. Sept. 28 at South Park’s Black Ash Grove. The Life Recovery group actively helps people become free of all sorts of addictions such as food, alcohol and drugs. Music, speakers, food and testimonies.
A car show will be held Oct. 5 in the parking lot at St. Patrick Church, Canonsburg. Registration 9 a.m. - noon. Show runs until 3:30 p.m. Prizes, 50/50, refreshments, music. For details, call Jim Bell at 724-809-4631.
Peters Township Parks needs volunteers to help with the Haunted Trail. Storytellers and scene actors are needed. A meeting is set for 7 p.m. Oct. 2. Call 724-942-5000 for details.
Peters Township Recreation is planning a bus trip to Nemacolin Woodlands and Lady Luck Casino on Dec. 4. Depart 9 a.m., return 6:30 p.m. Cost is $85. Deadline to register is Oct. 22. Call 724-942-5000.
Pittsburgh Glass Center will sponsor Art on Fire celebration and auction 6-11 p.m. Sept. 27 at American Eagle Outfitters, Southside Works. For details, call 412-365-8145.
St. Vincent de Paul Society at St. Patrick Parish, Canonsburg, will hold Truck Drive 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 28 and 29. Household and clothing items will be collected to assist needy families. Donations of clothing for all ages and sizes, linens, kitchenware and small working appliances will be appreciated.
Upper St. Clair Lions sponsors a farmers’ market Thursdays at Westminster Presbyterian Church. On the last day, Oct. 3, a drawing for a quilt made by Melanie Popovich will be held. Proceeds benefit Lions projects.
The Little Gym, McMurray, will sponsor Parents’ Survival Night at 6-9 p.m. Oct. 5.
For details, call 724-941-0100.
Allegheny County will sponsor Mushroom Mania at 10 a.m. Oct. 5. in South Park. For details, call 412-835-0143.
Washington County Parks will offer group hayrides at Mingo Creek Park. Dates include Oct. 11, 12, 18, 19, 25, 26. Friday hours are 5-8 p.m.; Saturday hours are 6-8 p.m. for Oct. 12 and 1-8 p.m. Oct. 19 and 20.
The wagon accommodates 25 people per hour. The picnic shelter and fire circle are available for two hours before or after the hayride. Cost is $50. To register, call 724-228-6867.
Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation will sponsor free walking tours:
• Mt. Washington, Shiloh Street Area, noon Oct. 4.
• Brookline Boulevard, noon Oct. 11.
• Brighton Heights, California Avenue, noon Oct. 18.
• Northside, Federal Street, noon Oct. 25.
For details, call Mary Lu Denny at 412-471-5808 ext. 527.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following programs:
• Diabetic Food Care/Wound Care, ECC, 6 p.m. Sept. 30.
• Breastfeeding, 6:30 p.m. Sept. 30, Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, 6:30 p.m. Sept. 30. Call 724-258-2229.
• Talk with a Doc: Back Pain, 7 p.m. Sept. 30, Upper St. Clair Rec Center. Call 724-258-1333.
• Smoking Cessation, 6 p.m. Oct. 1, 8, 15, 22. Holiday Inn, Bentleyville. Call 724-258-1932.
• Bone Density Screening, 1 p.m. Oct. 2, Healthy Directions, Finleyville. Call 724-348-6699.
• Diabetic Foot/Wound Care, 6 p.m. Oct. 2 ECC. Call 724-258-1333.
Breast Cancer Walk
Monongahela Valley Hospital will hold its 10th Annual MVH/Lois Orange Ducoeur Breast Cancer Walk on Oct. 12. Registration begins at 9 a.m. at Charleroi Market House. Walk begins at 10 a.m. All money raised will benefit cancer patients at Charles L. & Rose Sweeney Melenyzer Pavilion and Regional Cancer Center. For details, call 724-258-1855.
Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council offers brush-ups prior to GED testing at 6:30 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays at Chartiers Valley High School. It is important for those who have taken and passed any part of the GED tests to finish by Dec. 31 or they will need to start over. GED tests will change Jan. 1, 2014. Free classes are also available in Pittsburgh throughout the day. Tutoring can also be scheduled.
For details, call Lori Como at 412-393-7642.
Nancy Griffin will bring the Pilates Fusion workout to WROC at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, beginning Oct. 2. New programs will include 26-foot ballet bars for Barre Workouts. The barre class is the first in USC fusing Pilates, Dance, Yoga and Athletic Intervals.
Pittsburgh Glass Center plans RADical Day, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Oct. 4. Free open house. Demos or make a fused tile or pendant for $25.
For details, call 412-365-2145.
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks will sponsor Walking Tours: Bridges/River Shores, noon, Sept. 27.
To register, call Mary Lu Denny at 412-471-5808 ext. 527.
Learn about wines
Dreadnought Wines in the Strip District plans a Southern African Wine Class, 6 p.m. Oct. 1. Cost is $39. Call 412-391-1709.
Outdoor Classroom in Upper St. Clair plans the following events:
• Flashlight Hike, families, 6 p.m. Oct. 6.
• Girl Scout Leaf Day, grades six-eight, 9 a.m. Oct. 12.
• Project Feeder Watch, age 10+, 10 a.m. Oct. 12. Track bird migration.
To register, call 412-838-0064.
Financial Peace University will offer a financial management course at 7 p.m. beginning Oct. 14 at Bethel Presbyterian Church. To register, call 412-835-0405.
Together Listings - Sept. 25
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
South Fayette headed to Hershey (97)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (26)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (24)
Hickory up next for South Fayette (18)
Paint-your-own pottery: a fun indoor activity (18)
South Fayette headed to Hershey (113)
USC questions new progress ratings (1)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)