Together listings - Oct. 2
Women’s Business Network provides personal and professional resources to advance the presence of aspiring and successful businesswomen. Chapters meet as follows:
• McMurray, 8:30 a.m. first and third Wednesdays, The Meadows Mezzanine. Call Melissa Ball at 412-885-4139.
• Bethel Park, 6 p.m. Oct. 17, Bethel Park Municipal Building. Call Tamra McKenna at 412-885-5162.
Aglow for men and women will meet at 7 p.m. Oct. 21 at South Hills Assembly, Bethel Park. The Rev. Dr. F. Diane Hobson will be the guest speaker.
• Writers Group, 7 p.m. Oct. 8.
• Drama Club, 7 p.m. Mondays Oct. 14 to Dec. 9. Grades 2-5. Practice holiday plays for a holiday open house.
• Science Club, grades 2 to 5, 7 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 8-29.
• Conversation Salon discussion group, 10 a.m. the first Friday of each month.
• Preschool Storytime, 1 p.m. Oct. 3.
• Open Mic & Craft Beer Swap, 6:30 p.m. Oct. 6.
• Computer Basics, 10:30 a.m. Oct. 7.
• Story Time, Pre-K and younger, 5 p.m. Oct. 17 and 11 a.m. Oct. 22.
• Family Nights, 6:30 p.m. Thursdays. Stories, crafts, games.
• Teens are needed to serve on the Teen Advisory Board to help plan upcoming events for teens. First meeting is set for 3:15 p.m. Oct. 3.
• K-fourth graders will explore Secret Color Science on Oct. 7.
• Candlemaking for 11th grader through adults at 6 p.m. Oct. 7. Fee is $2.
• Plein Air Film Series, 1 p.m. Oct. 3 “Midnight in Paris;” 10 a.m. Oct. 4 “Lust for Life.”
• Slovak Heritage: Uncle Andy, 7 p.m. Oct. 7. Don Warhola will talk about times with his uncle, Andy Warhol.
• Two Authors, Two Road Trips, Two Americas with Bill Steigerwald and Ethan Casey, 7 p.m. Oct. 9.
• World Affairs Council, 7 p.m. Oct. 3. Carmen Gentile will disucss After 2014 a Journalist’s Perspective on the Future of Afghanistan.
• Movie Night, 5 p.m. Oct. 4. View “Iron Man 3.”
• Intro to Crochet, 6:30 p.m. Mondays Oct. 7-28. Cost is $30.
• Powerpoint Presentations, 7 p.m. Oct. 8 Cost is $5.
• Homeschoolers Group, grades 1 and up and parents, 3 p.m. Oct. 9.
• Book Bingo, K-eighth grade, 7 p.m. Oct. 10.
• New Health Care Law Explained, 3:30 p.m. Oct. 12. How it affects Medicare subscribers.
• Creative Writing, 6:30 p.m. Oct. 8, 22.
Upper St. Clair
• Tai Chi for Health, 7 p.m. Oct. 7.
• Walk in the Woods, 1:30 p.m. Oct. 10 at Boyce-Mayview Park. Meet at the pavilion.
Washington County’s own Washington Symphony Orchestra will perform at 8 p.m. Oct. 12 at Trinity High School. The new season begins with a concert theme, “Space-The Final Frontier.” For details, visit www.washsym.org.
McMurray Art League in the McDowell Shops has begun a new season of Thematic Shows. “Black and White” is the first theme running for two months. View the show when the studio is open for classes and 5-8 p.m. Thursdays.
A car show will be held Oct. 5 at St. Patrick Church, Canonsburg. Car registration 9 a.m. until noon. Show runs till 3:30 p.m. Prizes, 50/50, refreshments, music. For details, call Jim Bell at 724-809-4631.
State Rep. Brandon Neuman will sponsor a holiday bus tour Dec. 10 to Harrisburg. Tour includes the governor’s residence, lunch at the capitol and a trip to Hershey’s chocolate world. Cost is $65. Call 724-743-7602 to register.
Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services in Peters will host its 10th Shopping Extravaganza 5:30 to 9 p.m. Oct. 16 at Valley Brook Country Club. Leather items, glassware and fashion accessories will be available for purchase. Refreshments and auctions are planned. Proceeds will benefit Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Paws for the Cure
Komen Pittsburgh’s Fifth Paws for the Cure dog walk will be held Oct. 6 at Hartwood Acres in the concert area. Shelley Duffy of STAR 100.7 will help kick off National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The first 1,000 registered participants will receive a T-shirt.
North Strabane Township will host a Harvest Car Cruise 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 6 at the Municipal Park. Rain date is Oct. 13.
Red Wagon Fare
Christ Child Society of Pittsburgh will sponsor a Red Wagon Fare at 10 a.m. Oct. 12 at the Pittsburgh Field Club. Lunch, auctions, gourmet foods, raffles. Cost is $35. CCS is dedicated to serving the needs of at-risk children. The current project is providing “My Stuff” bags to children brought to domestic abuse shelters. To RSVP, call 412-795-1298.
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks will sponsor Walking Tours: Mt. Washington-Oct. 4, Brookline-Oct. 11, Brighton Heights-Oct. 18, North Side-Oct. 25.
To register, call Mary Lu Denny at 412-471-5808 ext. 527.
Wine vs Beer
Dreadnought Wines in the Strip District will host Wine vs Beer with Penn Brewery at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 10 at Cornerstone Restaurant & Bar in Aspinwall. Chef Jerome Greba will prepare dinner. Cost is $60 per person. To RSVP, call 412-408-3420.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following:
• Diabetic Foot and Wound Care, 6 p.m. Oct. 2 ECC. Call 724-258-1333.
• Apple/Fall Festival, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. Oct. 4 ECC and Central Plaza. Food and crafts. Call 724-258-1167.
Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry, sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, announces its 21st symposium. “Weaving Prayer and Presence in Health Ministry” will be held 8 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Oct. 26 at UPMC Mercy in Pittsburgh. Education, resources and networking for those interested in starting health ministries in their faith communities.
For details, call 412-232-5815.
Master art teacher Frank Webb will hold a workshop at 9:30 a.m. Oct. 11-13 at Third Street Gallery, Carnegie.
• Pittsburgh Watercolor Society’s Aqaueous Open will be held Oct. 5-26 at the Gallery. An opening reception is set for 5 to 8 p.m Oct. 5. A painting demo by Frank Webb will be held at 1:30 p.m. Oct. 6. Fee is $5. For details, call 412-276-5233.
Together listings - Oct. 2
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Paint-your-own pottery: a fun indoor activity (41)
Religion - Sept. 11 (39)
Plans for psychiatric facility rile North Strabane residents (23)
Lions roar past Imhotep, 41-0 (189)
No real estate tax increase in Peters Twp. (125)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
USC man charged with obstruction of justice (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)