Together Listings Oct. 9
Women’s Business Network provides personal and professional resources to advance the presence of aspiring and successful businesswomen. Chapters meet as follows:
• Mt. Lebanon, 8:30 a.m. Oct. 22, Crowne Plaza, Fort Couch Road. Call Sue Baumgart at 412-759-3965.
• Pittsburgh West, 8 a.m. Oct. 23, Papa Gallo’s, Bridgeville. Call Cheryl Lieb at 412-341-7667.
• South Hills, 8 a.m. Oct. 17, King’s Restaurant, Upper St. Clair. Call Karen McCrory at 412-831-1837.
South Hills Women’s Club willmeet at 8 p.m. Oct. 14 at Vanadium Woods, Scott Township. A representative from Josephine’s Wig Boutique will talk about the growing trend of wearing hair pieces. Hair pieces will be available to try on. For details, call 412-276-2473.
Bethel Park Lioness Club will meet at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 16 at Rolling Hills Country Club. A representative of Lions Beacon Lodge will present the program. For details, call 412-835-2008.
Bethel Woman’s Club will meet at noon Oct. 16 at Christ U.M. Church, Bethel Park. Mark Belding, Home Instead Senior Care, will speak about keeping seniors safe and independent. To RSVP, call 412-835-9567.
‘A Wonderful Life’
Giant Oaks Garden Club, McMurray, will hold its annual fundraiser, “It’s a Wonderful Life,” on Nov. 1. The Tinsel Time luncheon will be held at the Southpointe Hilton Garden Inn. Basket raffles, vendors, floral design program and door prizes are included.
Donations of gifts for baskets, door prizes and ads for the program booklet are needed. Proceeds benefit Canonsburg Lake Restoration, Peters Township Meals on Wheels and other local projects. To learn more, call 412-833-4461.
• First Time Homebuyers in today’s credit crunch with Todd Stainbrook of AJM Mortgage, 7 p.m. Oct. 17.
• Haunted Hat Tea, 11 a.m. Oct. 18. Prize to the most unusual Halloween Hat.
• Volunteers are needed to start a variety of clubs. Do you have an interest you’d like to share? Call the library.
• Bridgeville Remembered: The Roaring Twenties, 1920-1930, 7 p.m Oct. 10.
• Preschool Storytime, 10 a.m. Oct. 11. Stories, songs, crafts.
• Puppy Tales, K-fifth grade, 11 a.m. Oct. 12. Read to Walter, a therapy dog.
• Halloween Party, 4 p.m. Oct. 31. Make a trick or treat bag, watch a magician and enjoy spooky drinks.
• Free access to online sites such as Mayo Clinic, Susan G. Komen Foundation and U.S. National Library of Medicine is available.
• Frayed Knots meet for tea, conversation and to do needlework, 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays.
• Used book sale continues. Fill a bag for $5.
• Teens make knuckle rings at noon Oct. 12. Bring needle-nose pliers if you have them.
• Eating for Energy, 7 p.m. Oct. 14. Discover foods that increase sense of vitality. Call 412-921-9292.
• League of Women Voters Lunchtime Series, 12:30 p.m. Oct. 10. Meet candidates for the board of commissioners and school board.
• Art/Robot Therapy Class, parents and ages 6-16 of Autism Spectrum. Call 412-432-9559 for details.
• Folksong Sharing, 6:30 p.m. Oct. 16.
• Games Unite, 3 p.m. Mondays. Wii or Xbox challenge.
• Photo Club, 7 p.m. Oct. 9. Annual dues $15.
• Paws for Reading, grades 1 and up, 10 a.m. Oct. 12. Read to a therapy dog.
• Allegheny City: History of Pittsburgh’s North Side Book Talk, 6:30 p.m. Oct. 15. Dan Rooney and Carol Peterson will sign books.
• Conservation Consultants will present Energy Audits: The Path to a Safe, Healthy and Comfortable Home, 7 p.m. Oct. 16.
• Halloween Crafty Time, ages 5-12, 2:30 p.m. Oct. 12.
• Conversation Salon, 1 p.m. Oct. 14. Topics are the retirement years and printed books vs electronic versions.
• Scrabble Club, 2 p.m. Oct. 15.
• Mother Goose Story Time, 10:30 a.m. Oct. 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, 30.
• Math Mites, 10:30 a.m. Oct. 10, 17, 24, ages 3-5 and caregivers.
• Tales ‘n Tunes, ages 3-5, 10:30 a.m. Oct. 11, 18, 25.
• Book Club, 7 p.m. Oct. 17. Discuss “A Long Fatal Love Chase” by Louise May Alcott.
• Author of “Pretty Little Liars,” Sara Shepard, 7:30 p.m. Oct. 19.
Upper St. Clair
• Civil War Pittsburgh, 7 p.m. Oct. 10. Learn about Pittsburgh’s role in the Civil War.
Temple Emanuel Early Childhood Development Center has openings for the 2013-14 term including programs for 2s, 3s and 4s, transition class for 5s and morning enrichment for current kindergartners. Call 412-279-7687 for details.
Washington County Parks will sponsor a Fall Fun Day 1-4 p.m. Oct. 12 at Mingo Creek Park, Shelter 6. Activities include pumpkin carving, hayrides and scarecrow stuffing.
Fees are $2 per person for hayrides and $4 per pumpkin. Hay will be provided free but bring your own scarecrow clothes. Call 724-228-6867 to register.
A star party is set for 7 p.m. Oct. 12 (International Observe the Moon Night) at the Mingo Creek Park Observatory. Sky Show at 8, Moon Facts at 8:40, Sky Show at 9:20 and movie “Venus: Heaven and Hell” at 10 p.m. For details, call 724-348-6150.
Presbyterian Women of Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, will present Antique Pottery with speaker Lynn Welker at 1 p.m. Oct. 15. Bring a favorite piece of pottery and learn more about it. For details, call 412-835-6630.
Watercolors of St. Benedict the Moor Crawford Avenue, St. Mary of the Mount, St. Paul Monastery South Side and Our Lady of the Angels, Lawrenceville will be exhibited until Nov. 13 at Peters Township Public Library. The artist is Arlene L. Popko.
Popko and other McMurray Art League artists will have their works on display at the Galleria Oct. 10-20. An opening reception is set for 7 p.m. Oct. 12.
Allegheny County will sponsor a Change in the Weather, 10 a.m. Oct. 19 in South Park. Learn about migration and hibernation.
For details, call 412-835-0143.
Organ Artists Series will begin its season at 4 p.m. Oct. 20 with Oliver Latry performing at Calvary Episcopal Church, Pittsburgh. Latry is head organist at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Tickets are $12; $5 for students. For details, call 412-242-2787.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following:
• Learn about types of anesthesia, 6 p.m. Oct. 10, ECC. Call 724-258-1333.
• Depression Screening Day, 8:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Oct. 11 at Healthy Directions, Finleyville Giant Eagle.
• Family Health Fair, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 18, ECC. Health, safety, nutrition, child development and activities. Call 724-258-1333.
Health & Wholeness
Christ United Methodist Church, Bethel Park, offers these events:
• Let’s Sleep on It, 7 p.m. Oct. 9. Learn the signs, symptoms and treatment of sleep apnea. RSVP required.
• Grief Support, 9:30 a.m. Oct. 21. “Supporting Grieving Children: What the Children Have Taught Us” is for parents of a grieving child and for professionals who work with children. Fee of $10 includes continental breakfast and lunch. RSVP by Oct. 10 at www.christumc.net.
POWER of Southpointe and Allegheny Health Network will present “Top OB/GNY Health Issues Faced by Women Over 40” at 6 p.m. Oct. 16 at the Hilton Garden Inn, Southpointe. Refreshments will be provided. To register, call 724-260-5036.
Life of a Pumpkin
Penn State Master Gardeners will offer two workshops at 10 a.m. Oct. 12 at the children’s garden across from Washington County Fairgrounds.
• Life of a Pumpkin for children. Cost is $3.
• Composting for adults. Cost is $5.
To register, call 724-228-6881.
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks will sponsor workshops on general house exterior restoration at the Landmarks Preservation Resource Center, Rebecca Street, Wilkinsburg:
• Walking Tours: Brookline-Oct. 11, Brighton Heights-Oct. 18, North Side-Oct. 25.
• Renovation/Restoration scrapbooking workshop, 6 p.m. Oct. 15.
• Drywall Basics, 6 p.m. Oct. 17; Drywall Basics II, 10 a.m. Oct. 19.
To register, call Mary Lu Denny at 412-471-5808 ext. 527.
Together Listings Oct. 9
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Say no to SB 76 (319)
Lebo teams look to shine in new gym (212)
Achieving athletes (144)
Hollywood comes to Muse’s Mr. Zzzzz’s Pub and Pizza, Italian Club (135)
Feline friends care for the homeless (117)
Lions roar past Imhotep, 41-0 (189)
No real estate tax increase in Peters Twp. (125)
Say no to SB 76 (5)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
USC man charged with obstruction of justice (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)