Religion - Oct. 9
The Pet Ministry at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, will welcome author Luis Carlos Montalvan for a book signing/talk at 4 p.m. Oct. 13. The New York Times best-selling author of “Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him” will speak on issues relating to service members, veterans and their families, and Americans with disabilities.
• Pet Therapy Training Classes, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Mondays, through Oct. 28. Owners of certified therapy dogs can take the dogs to visit shut-ins, residents in nursing homes or assisted living communities.
• The Truth behind Pet Food Myths, 6:30 p.m. Oct. 30. Dr. Brad Carmichael of Pleasant Valley Veterinary Clinic will discuss nutritional facts and secrets behind the pet food industry.
Visit www.westminster-church.org for more information.
Youth Groups at John McMillan Presbyterian Church, Bethel Park, begin Oct. 9.
Groups include Kids’ Klub (grades 3-6) and Trailblazers (grades 7-8).
The youth groups meet 5-7 p.m. Wednesdays and enjoy learning time, recreation and dinner. Cost of dinner is $2.50.
Call Pastor Louise or Judy Lipp with questions at 412-833-4704.
Dinner for a Dollar
Community of Christ Church, Bethel Park, will hold Dinner for a Dollar 5 - 7 p.m. Oct. 10. Cost is $1 per person or $3 for a family. No need to register.
Center Presbyterian Church, McMurray, offers Sunday worship services at 8:30 and 11 a.m. Sunday school for all takes place at 9:45 a.m.
• Figures of Faith, 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays. Led by the Rev. Dr. Jack Aupperle, the four-week study will include: Billy Graham on Oct. 9, Pope Francis on Oct. 16, Elie Wiesel on Oct. 23 and the Dali Lama on Oct. 30. No charge.
For more information, call 724-941-9050.
South Hills Assembly, Bethel Park, offers the following fall classes:
• Youth Fall Retreat, Oct. 11-13 in Ligonier featuring worship, a speaker and Mission Impossible. Cost is $140.
• Anger Management with Darla Foster, 7 p.m. Thursdays.
• Lunch Bunch for Senior Adults, noon Oct. 17 in the multi-purpose room. Cost is $6 for lunch and Bible study. Sign up at the adult ministry table.
• Foundations for Faith, led by Pastor Rick Kardell, 7 p.m. Wednesdays.
• Synoptic Gospels, led by Tom Kwiatkowski, 7 p.m. Wednesdays.
For information, call 412-835-8900.
The Bible Chapel, McMurray, will hold the following:
• Medicare Information, 7 p.m. Oct. 10. Overview of Medicare updates and changes for 2014.
• Women’s Bible study, 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays. Study the book of Matthew.
• Dinner and programs, Wednesdays, with dinner at 5:30 p.m. ($6/each or $20/family) and programs at 6:30 including Revi Clubs for kids, Roots Student Ministry and Bible Institute for adults. For a list of classes, visit biblechapel.org
• National Drug Take Back, in conjunction with the Peters Township Police Department, The Bible Chapel will be a collection site for unwanted medication, no questions asked. Visit the website for dates and times.
• Save the date: Men’s Thanksgiving Breakfast, Nov. 23; Christmas Cantata, 7 p.m. Dec. 6 and 6:30 p.m. Dec. 8.
For more information, visit www.biblechapel.org.
Come and See
St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church, Canonsburg, will hold an open house 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. Oct. 12. Come and see the newly renovated interior. Be sure to see the icon screen and stained glass windows.
St. John’s Juniors will sponsor an all-you-can-eat pancake/sausage breakfast 8 a.m. - noon. Proceeds will benefit outreach projects.
Christ U.M. Church, Bethel Park, plans the following events:
• Fall Festival, 2-5:30 p.m. Oct. 12. Hayride, pumpkin and corn maze for $10.
• Methodism 101: Guide for New/Renewing Methodists, 11 a.m. Oct. 20, 27.
• Trunk or Treat, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Oct. 23. Dinner 5:30-6:30 p.m. Crafts and games for kids. Adults provide treats for church kids. RSVP to 412-835-6621.
Chabad of the South Hills, Mt. Lebanon, will offer the following events:
• In addition to its regular Hebrew School, held 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Sundays, Chabad will offer a new program from 4:30-6 p.m. Wednesdays, beginning Oct. 9 at Crowne Plaza Hotel in Bethel Park. Three separate, seven-week sessions are designed to give ages 4-13 basic Jewish skills and love and knowledge of his/her heritage.
Choose any combination of programs. No affiliation required. Scholarships available.
• Shabbaton inaugural event, Oct. 11 with special guest Dr. David Nesenoff, blogger, filmmaker, songwriter and whistleblower whose interview of Helen Thomas forced her to resign. Services at 6:30 p.m. will be followed by a Shabbat dinner at 7. Cost is $18. RSVP to 412-344-2424 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For a short video about the event, visit http://www.chabadsh.com/.
• Dr. Nesenoff will also present following 10 a.m. services and a 12:30 p.m. Kiddush lunch, Oct. 12. No charge, but an RSVP is appreciated. In addition, Nesenoff will speak at a private home at 8 p.m. that same day.
For more information, call 412-344-2424 or visit www.chabadsh.com.
St. Thomas More Church, Bethel Park, will hold a rosary rally at noon Oct. 12, rain or shine. Call Marci Costantino at 412-720-4850.
St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church, Canonsburg, will hold an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast 8 a.m.-noon Oct. 12, featuring pancakes, eggs, sausage, home fries and beverage.
An open house with informational tours will be held 9 a.m.-2 p.m. to celebrate 95 years. See the newly renovated parish and learn more about Orthodox Christianity, its music, customs and the ancient art of iconography from local parishioners.
Cost is $8/adults, $4/children ages 6-12 and free/ages 5 and under. Proceeds benefit youth outreach programs sponsored by St. John’s “O” Club.
St. Winifred Church Women’s Guild and Men’s Club will sponsor a spaghetti dinner 4-8 p.m. Oct. 13 in Benedict Hall. Cost is $9/adults and $5/children purchased prior to Oct. 13 or $10 and $6 if purchased at the door. For details, call 412-344-5010.
Canonsburg U. P. Church Active Christian Seniors will host a luncheon on Oct. 14. Chicken will be served at noon. Ventriloquist Cindy Speck will entertain at 11 a.m. Cost is $6. To RSVP, call 724-745-0800.
St. Thomas More Church, Bethel Park, will hold its 2013 Adult Formation Series with Deacon William G. Batz. Topics are The Ascent of the Soul into God on Oct. 14, Teach Us How to Pray on Oct. 21 and Holy Darkness on Oct. 28. Programs begin at 7 p.m.
Calvary Assembly of God, Bridgeville, holds prayer service in the chapel every second and fourth Monday.
• Special service, 7 p.m. Oct. 16 in the sanctuary, “America Godly Heritage” on DVD.
• Pastor Bob Pilardi continues his Sunday series, Win Your Battle.
• Beth Moore’s “Breaking Free” series on DVD for ladies only, 7-8:15 p.m. Wednesdays in the chapel. Workbooks available, but not required.
• Men’s study, Wednesdays in the prayer room. Study a six-part DVD series by John Bevere titled “The Holy Spirit.” Workbooks available, but not required.
• Winter Baseball Hitting Clinic, a 10-week program beginning Nov. 3 for boys and girls ages 7-18. Email email@example.com by Oct. 18 for details or to sign up.
The church is located on Hickory Grade Road. Call 412-257-1707 for more information.
Our Lady of Grace Church, Scott Township, will host Dr. Lawrence Sutton 7:30-9 p.m. Oct. 17 in Keffer Hall.
Dr. Sutton will discuss his book “How to Welcome, Include and Catechize Children with Developmental Disabilities.”
For more information, call 412-279-7070.
Grace Community Church of Bridgeville, formerly Journey Church, will sponsor its annual Community Fall Festival 2-4 p.m. Oct. 19 in the church parking lot on Prestley Road.
The free event includes “Trunk-or-Treat,” carnival games, inflatables and food.
Shoe box collection
Christian Crafters at Fawcett U.M. Church, Bridgeville, are collecting items for its Christmas shoe box ministry for Native American children. Fleece blankets for infant to preteen children are also being made. Needed are two yards of fleece material, slippers, socks, mittens, gloves and hats as well as small toys and books.
Drop items off at the church 6:30-8 p.m. Thursdays, through Oct. 17.
The church is located on Fawcett Road. For more information, call Barbara at 724-941-1103.
Peters Creek Presbyterian Church, Venetia, will hold an autumn apple festival beginning at 4:30 p.m. Oct. 19. The menu will include Brunswick stew and apple goodies. There will be children’s lawn games and caramel apple dipping.
Cost is $10 for adults, $5 for children and $8 for seniors. Dessert only is $5. Call 724-941-6210 or stop by the office located on Brookwood Road.
• Reformation Sunday - Celebrate the Scottish heritage with bag pipers before 8:30 and 11 a.m. Sunday services on Oct. 27. Traditional Scottish refreshments will follow the 11 a.m. service.
A one-day lacrosse camp will be held 9 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19 at Calvary Full Gospel Church in Bridgeville. Boys, ages 7-16, are eligible. Members of the University of Pittsburgh men’s lacrosse club will instruct. Fee is $40 per person and includes lunch. Call 412-257-1707 to register or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
St. Valentine Church, Bethel Park, will hold a polka Mass and Oktoberfest Oct. 19. A vigil Mass will take place at 4 p.m. with dinner and dancing to Ray Jay and the Carousels following 5-10 p.m. in Frawley Hall.
BYOB. Beer and soft drinks will be available.
Tickets are $15. Tables of 6, 7 or 8 must be reserved by Oct. 10. Reservations made after that date will be open seating. No tickets will be sold at the door. For reservations, call 412-835-4415.
First United Methodist Church of Bridgeville will hold a spaghetti dinner 4-7 p.m. Oct. 19.
Dinner will include spaghetti with meat sauce, salad, bread, dessert and beverage.
Tickets are $7 for adults, $4 for children ages 2-12, and free to children under age 2.
Take-out will be available. Proceeds benefit First UMC.
Call 412-221-5577 for more information.
Prime Time Ministries at Central Assembly of God, Houston, will sponsor a day trip to Amish Country in Ohio on Dec. 5.
Deadline to sign up and pay is Oct. 23. Call 724-746-4900 for details or to register.
Beth Israel Congregation, Washington, is offering a free one-year membership (no dues or fees for 12 months) to any new Jewish member.
Regular Shabbat services are held at 7:30 p.m. Fridays and 9:30 a.m. Saturdays. For more information, call 724-225-7080, 412-519-9499 or 724-225-1873.
Bethel Presbyterian Church offers the following classes:
• Sundays: Little Tykes, led by Lisa Wilfong and Cass Tabler for pre-K through second grade, 9:15-9:45 a.m.; Concord, led by Art Brandenburg for grades three-six, 9:15-9:45 a.m.; Youth, grades seven-12, 9-9:30 a.m.; and Adult, on Genisis, led by Pastor Tom, 9-9:45 a.m.
• Wednesdays: Women’s Bible study led by Nancy Galbraith, 10 a.m.; Sexuality and Humanity, a six-week course led by Pastor Tom, 7 p.m. through Oct. 30.
Chabad of the South Hills, Mt. Lebanon, will offer “Life in the Balance: Jewish Perspectives on Everyday Medical Dilemmas,” a new course by the Rohr Jewish Learning Institute. The course will cover BRCA gene and genetic testing, end of life dilemmas, autopsy and anatomical dissection, aborting one life to save another, should the sale of organs be legal, and womb transplants.
• Option 1: 7:30-9 p.m. six Wednesdays, beginning Oct. 30 at the Crowne Plaza South, Bethel Park.
• Option 2: 10:15-11:30 a.m. six Sundays, beginning Nov. 10 at Chabad of the South Hills.
Fee is $95 per person, textbook included, or $170 per couple.
For more information, call 412-344-2424 or email email@example.com.
Our Lady of Grace Church, Scott Township, offers the following studies:
• Catholic scripture study on the Gospel of John, 10-11:30 a.m. Wednesdays.
• Bible study, 9:45-11 a.m. Tuesdays, through Nov. 19, focusing on the readings from Sunday Mass. There is a $5 fee for the study binder.
To register, call 412-279-7070 or visit www.olgscott.org.
Ruthfred Lutheran Church, Bethel Park, offers a woman’s Bible study on the Book of John 9:15-11:20 a.m. Wednesdays. Included each week will be prayer and singing, a lecture and small group study.
A nursery and children’s ministry for infants through kindergarten will be provided, offering crafts, music and Bible stories.
For more information, call 412-831-6398.
Trunk or Treat
First Bethel United Methodist will hold Trunk or Treat 6-7 p.m. Oct. 27. The event will include costume contests, trunk decoration contests, crafts, games, treats and more. Bring a non-perishable food item to donate to South Hills Interfaith Ministries (SHIM).
RSVP to the King Schools Kids office at 412-835-6141. The church is located on Library Road, Bethel Park.
Coupon book sale
The Nurture Committee at Wright’s United Methodist Church, Venetia, will sell Enjoy coupon books through the end of the year, with proceeds benefitting the Youth Summer Camp program. To purchase a book at $30 each, call 724-348-5718.
Canonsburg U. P. Church offers a GriefShare program at 6:30 p.m. through Nov. 20 in Fellowship Hall. For details, call 724-745-0800.
The Baldwin United Presbyterian Church will hold an Octoberfest dinner at 5 p.m. Nov. 2. Dinner will include mashed potatoes, applesauce, desserts and refreshments.
Cost is $10 for adults, $5 for children ages 5-12 and free to children under age 5.
Call the church office at 412-653-1400 to make a reservation.
Blanket Night will be held at 7 p.m. Nov. 8 at St. Margaret’s Church in Green Tree. Make a polar fleece tie blanket to donate to charity.
Bring 1 1/2 yards print polar fleece and 1 1/2 yards coordinating solid polar fleece and scissors. Instructors and refreshments provided.
For details, call 412-921-5570.
Hamilton Presbyterian Church, Bethel Park, offers a new seven-week Bible study for women Tuesday mornings and Wednesday evenings.
Call 412-884-2722 to make a reservation. The church is on the corner of Baptist and Hamilton roads. A weekly contemporary service is held at 6:30 p.m. Thursdays. For more information, call 412-884-2722.
The fall session of the DivorceCare support group is held 7-9 p.m. Thursdays, through Dec. 12 at the South Hills Church of the Nazarene, Bethel Park. A weekly video prior to discussion with nationally recognized experts on divorce and recovery topics. Sessions include “Facing My Anger,” “Facing My Loneliness,” “Depression,” “New Relationships,” “KidCare” and “Forgiveness.”
Cost of $20 includes a workbook. Limited scholarships are available. Babysitting will not be available.
For more information, call 412-831-6333.
St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church, Carnegie, has returned to its regular schedule. A contemporary service of Holy Communion is held at 6 p.m. Saturdays, traditional Holy Communion liturgies at 8:15 and 11 a.m. Sundays, and Sunday school is held at 9:45 a.m.
Grace Community Church, Bridgeville, formerly known as Journey Church, holds worship services at 10:45 a.m. Sundays. Pastor Bryan Thiessen will continue to preside over the congregation at its original location, 56 Prestley Road.
Community Bible study holds its fall nondenominational study from 7-8:40 p.m. Mondays at Southminster Presbyterian Church, Mt. Lebanon.
This year’s study will be the Book of Romans and its relevance to our daily lives. Topics include: Who is righteous in God’s eyes? Is God for us or against us? How do we love one another? Should we respect our governing authorities?
CBS offers nondenominational study and is open to all. For more information, contact John Schrott at 412-600-8756 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Jan Andrews at 412-736-9913.
Peters Creek Presbyterian Church, Venetia, has begun its fall worship schedule with services at 8:30 and 11 a.m. Sunday school classes for adults and children begin at 9:45 a.m.
For more information, call 724-941-6210.
My New Life
Bethany Presbyterian Church, Bridgeville, presents My New Life conducted by Dr. John Mazzola at 6 p.m. Sundays. The focus will be on marriage, relationships and personal needs. To register, call 412-600-05618.
Legacy Baptist Church, located in Accelerando Music Conservatory, offers Sunday services at 11 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. Choir practice is held at 10:10 a.m., and Sunday school at 10:30. Bible study takes place at 7 p.m. Thursdays.
Visit www.legacybaptistchurch.us or call 724-621-6785 for more information.
Beth Israel Congregation, Washington, is offering a free one-year membership (no dues or fees for 12 months) to any new Jewish member.
Regular Shabbat services are held at 7:30 p.m. Fridays and 9:30 a.m. Saturdays. For information, call 724-225-7080.
Unitarian Universalist Church, Mt. Lebanon, will present a Jesus seminar Nov. 15-16. Session times are 7:30 p.m. Friday, 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Saturday. Authors Hal Taussig, PhD, and Arthur J. Dewey, Th.D. will be presenters. Texts to be discussed include: Gospel of Mary (Magdalene), Thunder, Perfect Mind, Gospel of Thomas and Letter of Peter to Philip. For fee information, call 412-561-6277.