Seniors Citizen Events - Oct. 9
Adult Interest Center at Southminster Presbyterian Church, Mt. Lebanon, meets at 11 a.m. on Fridays. Lunch is $6.
The Asbury Heights Hillbilly Band will entertain on Oct. 11. For details, call 412-343-8900.
Mt. Lebanon Recreation Department will hold a senior luncheon and movie matinee on Oct. 15. Check-in is at 10:30 a.m. at the Rec Center, second floor. Preregistration and payment of $6 are required by noon on Oct. 11.
Retired Men meet
Register by Oct. 11 for the Retired Men’s Luncheon Group of Pleasant Hills noon meeting on Oct. 17 in Fellowship Hall of the Pleasant Hills Community Presbyterian Church (corner of Old Clairton Road and Audrey Drive).
Doug Harbach, director of communications for the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board, will discuss “Legalized Gambling in Pennsylvania” and how senior citizens are affected.
Cost for the lunch is $7.
Call 412-655-2000 by Oct. 11 to be included in the lunch order.
Classes for seniors
Chartiers Houston Community Library plans the following classes for ages 50 and older:
• Basic computer, 6 p.m. Oct. 9, 16, 23, 30. $3 per class.
• Lunch & Learn-Understanding Medicare, 11:30 a.m. Oct. 11.
For details, call 724-745-4300.
Seniors for Safe Driving will present a highway safety education program for those 55 years and older. The class will take place 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Oct. 10 at the Upper St. Clair recreation department.
Successful completion of the program makes senior drivers eligible for a 5 percent discount on their auto insurance premiums for a period of three years. If you have never participated in a senior driving program before, you must attend a two-day class.
To register, call 1-800-559-4880 or 724-283-0245, or visit www.seniorsforsafedriving.com.
The Community and Recreation Center at Boyce Mayview Park, Upper St. Clair, offers the following events:
• Card & Game Club meets 1:30-4 p.m. the fourth Thursday of each month. Tables and refreshments provided. The club is free.
• Pickleball, 1:30-3 p.m. Tuesdays. C&RC members and USC residents: punch card for 10 sessions or drop-in fee of $3 per session. Surrounding community residents: punch card $35 for 10 sessions, drop-in fee of $4 per session.
Call Amy Kerman at 412-221-1099 ext. 603 with questions.
Collier Township Parks and Recreation offers pickle ball for seniors ages 60+, 2-3 p.m. Mondays, through Oct. 21 at the new courts in Collier Park.
Learn the game and strategy while getting exercise. Both singles and doubles are welcome. Cost is $50 for residents, $60 for nonresidents. Visit www.colliertownship.net or register at the parks office.
Home Instead Senior Care will sponsor Alzheimer’s care training at 6 p.m. Oct. 22 at the center in Bethel Park. Caregivers will learn to manage behaviors, encourage engagement and care for themselves while caring for a loved one. To register, call 412-595-7554.
Alzheimer’s Association will present a workshop focusing on helping caregivers care for loved ones with Alzheimer’s at 9:30 a.m. Oct. 23 at The Pines of Mt. Lebanon. To register, call Mary Ann Stevenson at 724-993-3633.
Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, will hold fitness classes for ages 55+.
• Gentle Yoga, 6 p.m. Oct. 28. Appropriate for all sizes, fitness levels and ages.
• Tai Chi for balance, 12:15 p.m. Tuesdays.
For details, call 412-835-6630.
Seniors Citizen Events - Oct. 9
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Market District Express opens in Peters Township (92)
Local students star in “The Nutcracker” (66)
Hickory up next for South Fayette (66)
PT, BP, USC headline Almanac Elite Eleven List (61)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (51)
Market District Express opens in Peters Township (133)
Scheuble to fill vacant BP school board seat (104)
Check presentation (37)
SF students participate in Apple, Google’s Hour of Code (23)
USC questions new progress ratings (1)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)