Waller wins regional
Lauren Waller earned medalist honors during the Western Regional Tournament, which served as the qualifier for this week’s PIAA championships held in York. The Canon-McMillan junior shot a 4-over-par 76 to finish first on the 18-hole course at Tom’s Run in Blairsville.
Mia Kness followed as runner-up, two strokes off the pace set by Waller. The Peters Township freshman carded a 78.
Joey Walz of Seton-La Salle advanced out of the Class AA girls’ division.
Melissa Kearney just missed the cut. The Upper St. Clair senior finished tied for seventh in the regional.
While only the top six finishers among the girls moved on to the state finals, the PIAA accepted the top 12 boys from the west regional, also held at Tom’s Run.
In Class AAA, Grant Engel finished, two strokes behind medalist Patrick Sheerer from Fox Chapel. The USC senior carded a 73 while Sheerer fired a 1-under-par 71. Hollidaysburg’s Hunter Shields finished runner-up with a 72.
Engel’s teammate, Thomas Steve also qualified with a 79. He needed a two-hole playoff to earn his berth in the PIAA championships.
Corey Long finished tied for sixth with a 76. The South Fayette senior entered the state finals as the WPIAL champion.
Josh Verner missed the cut. The Peters Township duffer tied for 14th with an 80 score.
Waller wins regional
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
PIAA win cures ailing CV Colts (25)
Ward Home fundraiser (17)
Bower Hill organizes food drive to honor Roberto Clemente (16)
St. Clair Hospital named in Top 10 in nationwide hospitals (13)
St. Clair Hospital named in Top 10 in nationwide hospitals (175)
PIAA win cures ailing CV Colts (48)
Ward Home fundraiser (25)
Bower Hill organizes food drive to honor Roberto Clemente (23)
Ballroom dancing not the answer (1)
PSU students still battle shadow of Sandusky’s actions (1)
Colella appointed to fill vacant BP council seat (1)