WPIAL soccer sites set
Laurel Carpenter (No. 9) battles Hannah Mears (No. 27) during WPIAL Class AAA first-round girls’ soccer playoff action. Carpenter scored a goal, off a corner kick, as Peters Township blanked Latrobe, 3-0. The Indians (14-4-1) will now face Pine-Richland (12-5-2) in a quarterfinal match set for 8 p.m. Oct. 23 at Chartiers Valley.
The WPIAL released sites for the quarterfinals of the boys’ soccer tournament and North Allegheny, Baldwin and Upper St. Clair will be the venues for Almanac clubs remaining in competition.
Canon-McMillan (15-2-2) battles Fox Chapel (16-1) at 6 p.m. Oct. 24 at North Allegheny. Peters Township (14-3-2) follows against Seneca Valley (15-2-1).
All four teams recorded shutouts in their opening rounds of play.
Two goals each by Nick Sodini and Alex Ablak propelled the Big Macs to a 4-0 win versus Norwin. Christian Snatchko earned the shutout in the nets.
While the Foxes eliminated Frnaklin Regional, 1-0, and Seneca Valley blanked Allderdice, 4-0, PT defeated North Allegheny, 3-0.
Nicco and Mario Mastrangelo as well as Matt Massucci racked up the goals for the Indians. Troy Eske, Ryan Ponchione (corner kick), Nicco Mastrangelo and Dylan Weyers recorded assists.
Baldwin will host Bethel Park (14-4-1) and South Fayette (15-2-2) Oct. 24. While the Lions battle Laurel Highlands (15-3) at 6 p.m. the Hawks take on Central Catholic (14-3-1) at 8 p.m.
Brian Coyne’s penalty kick coupled with the goaltending of Alex Gedrys vaulted SF to a 1-0 victory over Mars in the first round of the Class AA playoffs.
Meanwhile, BP edged Kiski, 3-2, in a sudden-death shootout. After 110 minutes of action and a first round of penalty kicks, the Hawks won the match on the 10th extra kick.
Upper St. Clair (17-0-1) hosts a doubleheader also Oct. 24. After receiving a first-round bye as the tournament’s No. 1 seed, the Panthers play Mt. Lebanon (11-6-2) at 8 p.m. The preliminary game at 6 p.m. has Seton-La Salle (15-2-1) facing off against Carlynton (12-6).
Lebo advanced to the quarterfinals with a 1-0 triumph against Butler. Matt Stevens had the gamewinner for the Blue Devils, scoring in the 29th minute.
Goals by Chris Cho and Matt Wilke guided SLS to victory, 2-0, against Aquinas Academy in Class A action.
In girls’ soccer action, the quarterfinals will be played Oct. 13. Here is a list of the local teams involved and when and where they will play:
• Canon-McMillan (13-3-3) at Seneca Valley (15-2-1) at 8 p.m.
• Upper St. Clair (10-5-2) vs. Fox Chapel (17-1-1) at 6 p.m. at Chartiers Valley.
• Peters Township (14-4-1) vs. Pine-Richland (12-5-2) at 8 p.m. at Chartiers Valley.
• Bethel Park (16-2-1) vs. Gateway (10-7-1) at 8 p.m. at Elizabeth-Forward.
• Bishop Canevin (16-2-1) vs. Sewickley Academy (10-6-3) at 6 p.m. at Hopewell.
The WPIAL semifinals for boys and girls will be played Monday, Oct. 28. The finals will be played Nov. 1-2 at Highmark Stadium.
WPIAL soccer sites set
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Spoonwood Brewing to open this fall in Bethel (769)
District attorney dropping charges against South Fayette student (357)
Peters Township keeping pace in Section 5 baseball (138)
Canon-Mac, South Fayette advance to Final Four in wrestling (112)
Bethel Park wins national hockey championship (99)
Celebrate Indian Pride fundraiser (81)
USC residents get a lot for their tax dollars (62)
Fundraisers - April 16 (48)
Recovery is the only antidote to the drug issue (46)
Franklin Regional incident hits too close to home (46)