Together listings Oct. 30Published Oct 30, 2013 at 6:29 am (Updated Oct 29, 2013 at 4:35 pm)
Chapters of Women’s Business Network meet as follows:
• McMurray, 8:30 a.m. Nov. 6, Meadows Mezzanine. Call 412-885-4139.
• Mt. Lebanon, 8:30 a.m. Nov. 13, Crowne Plaza-Fort Couch Road. Call 412-343-4361.
• Pittsburgh West, 8 a.m. Nov. 13, Papa Gallo’s. Call 412-341-7667.
• South Hills, 8 a.m. Nov. 15, King’s Restaurant-Upper St. Clair. Call 412-831-1837.
• Bethel Park, 6 p.m. Nov. 15, municipal building. Call 412-885-5162.
South Hills College Club will meet for dessert at 7 p.m. Nov. 12 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. At 7:30, Julie Agar, former director in Pittsburgh Public Schools, will tell the story of the Unicorn Tapestry that now hangs in The Cloisters in New York.
Giant Oaks Garden Club meets at St. David Anglican Church, Venetia. New members are welcome. For details, call Debra Valentino at 724-746-4664.
Upper St. Clair Coterie will meet at 11:30 a.m. Nov. 14 at The Club at Nevillewood. Holiday Entertaining on a Dime will be the program. To RSVP, call 724-745-4206.
Countryside Book Club will meet at noon Nov. 5 at the home of Marlene Ogle. Carol Robinson will review “Desperate Passages” by Ethan Rarick.
Southwestern PA Registered Nurses Club will hold its Veterans Day Memorial Service at 11 a.m. Nov. 11 at the war memorial on Corrigan Drive, South Park. Bethel Park Mayor Cliff Morton, the Rev. Lance E. Chapman, bagpiper Douglas Greer, State Representative Bill Kortz and Krista Harris, county representative will be on hand. A gun salute will be given by South Park VFW 6664.
• View “The Wedding Singer” at 8 p.m. Nov. 8, 9, 15, 16, 22, 23 and 2 p.m. Nov. 10 and 17 in the music hall. Tickets are $18/adults and $15/students-seniors.
To register, call 412-276-3456.
• Step Together workshop for families with infants to 5 years of age, 10 a.m. Wednesdays Nov. 6-Dec. 4. Children explore new toys. Parents learn about child development.
• Make Your Kitchen Work for You with professional organizer Jill Yesko, 7 p.m. Nov. 7.
• Wellness on the Web: An Introduction, 10 a.m. Nov. 8. Learn to explore quality health info on the web.
• Halloween Storytime, 1 p.m. Oct. 31. Wear costumes and enjoy a spooky snack.
• Babies & Books with adult, 11 a.m. Nov. 1. Storytime, play group.
• Open Mic/Craft Beer Swap, 6:30 p.m. Nov. 3. Open stage. All ages.
• Library will be closed Nov. 11 for Veterans Day.
• Kids Chefs, 6 p.m. Nov. 12.
• Make a bracelet, girls third-fifth grade, noon, Nov. 2.
• Photography by John Sciurba will be exhibited at the library in November.
• The Invisible Cat, noon, Nov. 9, sponsored by Fluffyjean Fund for Felines. Speakers include Fix Ur Cat, Animal Friends, Petsearch and Fluffyjean Fund.
• Stress Management with Dr. Frank Verri, 7 p.m. Nov. 7.
• That Guy with the Birds, John Lege, 7 p.m. Nov. 12. All ages.
• English conversation, 10 a.m. Wednesdays. Register at email@example.com.
• Conversational Chinese and Chinese Culture, 7 p.m. Thursdays. Call 412-531-1912.
• Movie Night, all ages, 5 p.m. Nov. 1. Watch “The Internship.”
• Magic Tree House Book Club, grades 2-4, 10 a.m. Nov. 2. Discuss “Thanksgiving on Thursday.”
• Teen Book Club, noon Nov. 2. Discuss “Croak” by Gina Damico.
• College Financial Aid Night, 6:30 p.m. Nov. 4.
• Make a Quillow, 10 a.m. Nov. 15 & 22. Make an 18-inch square pillow.
• Form teams for Catching Fire Trivia Contest for the Hunger Games at the library. Meet at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 16.
• Conversation Salon, 1 p.m. Nov. 11. Topics: Implications of healthcare rationing and your own good fortune.
• Nostalgic Walk on Trails with Venture Outdoors, 10 a.m. Nov. 2.
• Southern Belle Tea, 7 p.m. Nov. 8. Entertainment by Belle Boyd, Confederate Spy. Cost is $10. Bring a teacup. RSVP.
Upper St. Clair
• Dealing with Stress, presented by Dr. Bruce Rabin, 7 p.m. Nov. 4. Call 412-835-5540.
Fall Polka Festival
Seven Springs Mountain Resort will host a polka festival Nov. 1-3. Nine bands will provide music. A polka Mass will be celebrated at 10:30 a.m. Sunday with music from The DiddleStyx. For details, email BelAire7208@aol.com.
Songs of Brahms
Love and Longing: The Songs of Brahms, Debussy, Schumann and Korngold will be presented at 3 p.m. Nov. 3 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. Ruthann Eckersberg, mezzo-soprano and James Burns on piano will present the program. A reception will follow.
Gift donors needed
Domestic Violence Services of Southwestern PA needs holiday gift donors. Caring people are need to adopt individuals or families for the holidays. For details on the Adopt-a-Family program, call 724-223-5481.
Upper St. Clair League for the Arts will hold its Sugarplum Shop 2013 Show & Sale at the recreation center on McLaughlin Run Road. Shop hours are 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. Nov. 7 and 8, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Nov. 9, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. Nov. 10, and 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Nov. 11 and 12. A percentage of all sales goes towards scholarship awards.
Nancy Vejlstrup, former exhibit designer for Carnegie Museum of Natural History and Phipps Conservatory, has created a holiday centerpiece for a raffle to benefit Peters Township Public Library. Tickets are $5 each or four for $15. The centerpiece is on display at the library. The winning ticket will be selected at 6:45 p.m. Nov. 5. Winner does not need to be present.
The Four Townsmen Show Band will perform at the Meadows Race Track & Casino in the Silk’s lounge at 8 p.m. on Nov. 8.
Pittsburgh Knit & Crochet Festival will sponsor a knitting retreat Nov. 7-10 at the Omni Bedford Springs Resort & Spa. The package includes three nights lodging, meals, reception, goodie bags, up to five classes, taxes and gratuities. To learn more, visit www.knittreat.com.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following:
• Managing Your Diabetes, 8:30 a.m. Nov. 5-7 Mon-Vale HealthPLEX.
• Childbirth Prep, 7 p.m. Nov. 6, 13, 20 and 27.
• Healthy Eating Supermarket Tours, 2 p.m. Nov. 7 at Healthy Directions, Finleyville Giant Eagle.
• Foot/Ankle Ailments, 7 p.m. Nov. 7, Mt. Lebanon Rec Center.
The Solstice Research Study is evaluating the safety and effectiveness of an investigational drug for moderate to severe endometriosis pain symptoms. Requirements to join the study include: be 18 to 49 years old and have not gone through menopause, do not have a history of osteoporosis or other bone diseases and are not pregnant or breastfeeding or planning to get pregnant within the next two years. To learn more, visit www.solsticeendostudy.com.
Allegheny General Hospital is enrolling patients in a clinical trial to explore investigational technology designed to treat congestive heart failure by stimulating the body’s natural mechanism for blood pressure regulation.
To enroll, patients must have a left ventricular ejection fraction less than or equal to 35 percent and be classified as having New York Heart Association Class III Heart Failure. For study details, call Sheila Bernardini at 412-359-3281.
The WROC program at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, plans the following:
• Energy Flow, 8 p.m. Mondays starting Nov. 4.
• Super Cardio, 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays starting Nov. 5.
For details, call 412-835-6630.
Professional designer Nancy Vejlstrup will offer instructions on creating a fresh or artificial holiday centerpiece at 7 p.m. Nov. 5 at Peters Township Public Library. Cost is $15. Register at the library.
Elizabeth Babcock will speak about Managing Holiday Food at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 6 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. To register, call 412-835-6630 ext. 200.