Across the South Hills Oct. 30
The Bethel Park High School and Independence Middle School students who serve in the Bring a Smile to the Service organization invite area veterans to join them for coffee and cookies 11:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Veterans Day, Nov. 11 in the Independence Middle School cafeteria, located at 2807 Bethel Church Road.
Veterans who are interested in dropping by should contact Jennifer Makel at 724-344-3977 or firstname.lastname@example.org so the students know how many refreshments to prepare.
A winter clothing drive will begin Nov. 1. Hats, scarves, gloves and socks will be collected and donated to Pittsburgh Mercy Health System’s Operation Safety Net, an outreach program for the homeless. A collection bin will be placed in the first floor lobby of the municipal building near the library. Contact email@example.com with questions
Lebo Light Night to kickoff the celebration of the holiday season will be held from 6-9 p.m. Nov. 14 on Washington Road. Featured will be horse-drawn sleigh rides, live entertainment, including the Southminster Bell Ringers and the Mt. Lebanon High School Band.
The parks and recreation department is seeking a donated large live pine tree about 30-to-35-feet tall by Nov. 11, for the annual tree lighting ceremony and library’s children holiday party Dec. 1. Contact Becky Goodwin-Sopko, recreation secretary, at 724-942-5000, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pennsylvania American Water Co. will begin construction to replace more than 2 1/2 miles of an aging water main. In Bethel Park, the water line will be improved on Walnut and Chestnut streets; in Castle Shannon, Arch Street will see improvements; and in Peters Township, Venetia and Sugar Run roads will be updated. Customers may see discolored water or lower than normal water pressure. For more information, call 1-800-565-7292.
The November meeting of the Bridgeville Historical Society will be held at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 26 and will feature Show and Tell. Those attending are asked to bring an item of historical interest. Meetings are held at the Bridgeville Volunteer Fire Department, Commercial Street.
Leaf pickup will be held Nov. 9 and 23. Leaves must be placed in biodegradable paper bags and should not be mixed with rubbish or trash. Leaves that are in other containers will not be accepted. Bags should be placed at the curb by 6 a.m. the day of pickup.
• There will be a healing service honoring all veterans and their families at Christ the Redeemer Anglican Church, 120 E. College St., at 6 p.m. Nov. 11. There will be a free meal in the parish hall following the service. If questions, call 724-745-0685
Supervisors will hold a town hall/outreach meeting at 7 p.m. Nov. 11 in the meeting room of the municipal building, 3599 Millers Run Road, to discuss issues important to the residents of the Cecil area, including Bishop, Venice, Montour, Southview, Gilmore, Gladden Heights, Jumbo and Turntable.
Drawing for the fall auction at the Heritage Library will take place Nov. 16. Tickets are two for $1, or 12 for $5 for a variety of prizes.
Haunted Acres Manor in South Park will continue through Nov. 2. Times are 7-10 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays, and at 11:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturdays. Visit www.hundredacresmanor.com for details.
Upper St. Clair
A Saturday Social for ages 60+ is planned 2 to 4 p.m. Nov. 2 at the Community & Recreation Center at Boyce Mayview Park. No partners are needed. Cost is $8. A dance performance will be presented by Koichiro Suzuki and Yulia Zhukoff. To register, call 412-221-1099 ext. 603.
• State Rep. Dan Miller, D-Mt. Lebanon, will host an informational session on the state’s Right-to-Know law at 6 p.m. Nov. 7 in the Mt. Lebanon Municipal Building, 710 Washington Road.
Across the South Hills Oct. 30
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
South Fayette faces Imhotep Charter in state final (30)
Art brings life to local library (26)
Paint-your-own pottery: a fun indoor activity (25)
Mt. Lebanon school to sign national anthem at Pirates game (24)
Religion - Sept. 11 (20)
Lawrence resident sentenced to 6-12 years for sex crimes (156)
South Fayette faces Imhotep Charter in state final (94)
Donations help blind dog regain sight (91)
Car crashes into house in South Fayette (70)
USC questions new progress ratings (1)
Pizza Township or Peters Township? (1)
Event raises funds and awareness for painful disease (1)