Frey finishes third
Callie Frey grabbed the bronze medal in singles during the PIAA girls’ tennis championships contest this past weekend at the Hershey Racquet Club. The Mt. Lebanon senior defeated Maureen Devlin of Wissahickon in straight sets, 7-5, 7-6 (4), in the consolation match to finish third overall.
After opening tournament action with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Unionville’s Zaina Zaki and a 6-2, 6-1 sweep of Katie Wagner from Susquehannock, Frey dropped a three-setter to Methacton’s Mihaela Cordreanu in the semifinals.
Frey swept the first set, 6-0, but succumbed in the second, 6-3. Though she fought back from a 4-1 deficit, she dropped the third set in a tiebreaker, 7-6 (6).
Despite her defeat in the state tournament, Frey left her imprint on Mt. Lebanon tennis, becoming the first female netter to win back-to-back WPIAL titles since Kelly Kolankiewicz achieved the feat 30 years ago. Frey also was a PIAA medalist in 2012, securing the silver medal.
Frey finishes third
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Chishko, Macri win PIAA titles (85)
Colella appointed to fill vacant BP council seat (60)
PSU students still battle shadow of Sandusky’s actions (36)
Lebo ladies take runner-up trophy (29)
Alavi leads PT into PIHL semifinals (29)
Chishko, Macri win PIAA titles (79)
Ballroom dancing not the answer (1)
PSU students still battle shadow of Sandusky’s actions (1)
Colella appointed to fill vacant BP council seat (1)