USC headed back to Hershey
Shane Sibley assisted on the go-ahed goal in Upper St. Clair's 2-1 victory over Cumberland Valley. The win vaulted the Panthers into the PIAA finals for the third year in a row.
Joel Hart scored a goal and assisted on another tally as Upper St. Clair defeated Cumberland Valley, 2-1, to advance the PIAA championships for the third year in a row.
Rob Mertz scored a goal in Upper St. Clair's 2-1 victory over Cumberland Valley.
For the third year in a row, Upper St. Clair will battle for a PIAA championship in boys’ soccer. The Panthers will play in the Class AAA state final set for 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 15 at Hersheypark Stadium.
The Panthers earned their trip to Hershey with a 2-1 victory against Cumberland Valley in a state semifinal match played at Hollidaysburg.
Despite surrendering a goal in the first two minutes of action, the Panthers recovered to knot the contest, 1-1, before halftime on a goal by Rob Mertz. Joel Hart assisted.
USC forged a 2-1 advantage when Hart scored, off an assist from Shane Sibley, in the 54th minute of action.
With the win, the Panthers improved to 21-1-1 overall. The tie, 1-1, came against Section 5 rival Canon-McMillan back on Sept. 10 while the lone loss, 1-0, came in the WPIAL District 7 championship match Nov. 2 against rival Peters Township at Highmark Stadium.
After routing McDowell, 9-0, to open action in the PIAA playoffs, USC avenged that defeat, blanking the Indians, 3-0, to advance to the state semifinal match against Cumberland Valley.
USC is the defending state champion, having beaten Wilson, 1-0, in last year’s PIAA final. The Panthers dropped a 1-0 decision to Conestoga in the 2011 PIAA championship.
USC won back-to-back state titles in 2003 and 2004. In 2004, the Panthers were undefeated with a 27-0 record.
USC headed back to Hershey
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Spoonwood Brewing to open this fall in Bethel (13)
Canon-Mac, South Fayette advance to Final Four in wrestling (8)
Peters Township softball in thick of playoff hunt (6)
South Hills police participating in Drug Take-Back Day April 26 (81)
Mt. Lebanon assessments grossly unfair (3)
Lebo rifle space still in limbo (3)
USC residents get a lot for their tax dollars (3)
Charges on South Fayette bully victim to be dropped (1)
Air quality a concern (1)