Getting Together – Nov. 27
Southwestern Registered Nurses Club offers scholarship opportunities to students entering their final year of studies or who are actively pursuing advanced education in nursing. Students from Allegheny, Washington and Westmoreland counties are eligible. For details, call Deborah Turner at 412-391-5122.
Genealogy Society of Southwestern PA will hold its annual membership meeting and luncheon at noon Dec. 7 at Citizen’s Library, Washington. Marilyn Holt, PA Department of Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, will be the guest speaker. Cost is $15. RSVP to 724-228-0872 by Dec. 1.
• Open Mic & Craft Beer Swap, 6:30 p.m. Dec. 1. Bring favorites for the craft beer swap.
• Mystery Book Club, 11:30 a.m. Dec. 4 at LaBella Bean Coffee. Copies of the book are available at the library.
• Chess Club, adults, 11 a.m. Dec. 4.
• Toddler Time with adult, 10 a.m. Dec. 4. Stories, songs and finger plays.
• Drop & Shop, 5 p.m. Dec. 11. School-aged kids will be entertained while parents shop.
• Paper Tree, 5:30 p.m. Dec. 12. Make a Christmas tree out of paperback books.
• Christmas party, 5:30 p.m. Dec. 14. All ages. Decorate a tree, take home a holiday craft, meet Santa.
• Nemacolin Castle Trip, 4 p.m. Dec. 15. Cost is $25 for transportation and admission.
• Genealogy One-on-One Help, 3:30 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Drama Club, middle/high school students, 3:15 p.m. Thursdays. Acting exercises and a visit to Little Lake Theatre.
• Create clothing for a Project Runway doll, third-fifth grades, 4:30 p.m. Thursdays.
• Library will be closed on Nov. 28 for Thanksgiving.
• Make a Gingerbread House, ages 3+ and families, 6:30 p.m. Dec. 3.
• Otaku Lebo, teens, 3:15 p.m. Dec. 5. Make Bento Boxes.
• Holiday for Birds, ages 3-6, 9:30 a.m. Dec. 7.
• Language groups: German conversation, 7:30 p.m. Dec. 9, French conversation 7:30 p.m. Dec. 12.
• Knitting Circle, 1:30 p.m. Dec. 11.
• Out of the Box, homeschooled kids, 1:30 p.m. Dec. 12. Problem solving activities.
• Adult Book Club, 1 p.m. Nov. 20. Discuss “The Hiding Place” by Corie Ten Boom.
• Tree lighting/holiday party, 6 p.m. Dec. 1. Caroling, refreshments, kids crafts, visits with Santa.
• Edible holiday treats, kids/parents, 6:30 p.m. Dec. 3.
• Trinity Bell Choir, 7:30 p.m. Dec. 3. Refreshments.
• Taste the World series ends at 7 p.m. Dec. 5 with chef Larry Kozlowski preparing foods to celebrate the eve of St. Nicholas Feast Day. Fee is $5. Registration required.
• Cookie Exchange, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Dec. 7. Bring four dozen cookies to share and swap. Recipes needed by Dec. 1 to be entered in the print catalog.
• Gingerbread House Workshop, all ages, 2 p.m. Dec. 8. Bring a can of icing.
• Conversation Salon, 1 p.m. Dec. 9. Topics are holiday stress and technological progress.
• Chess Tournament, K-eighth grade, 1 p.m. Nov. 30.
• Tales ‘n Tunes, ages 3-5, 10:30 a.m. Dec. 6, 13, 20.
• Mother Goose Story Time, birth-3 years old, 10:30 a.m. Dec. 3, 4, 10, 11, 17, 18.
• Preschool Science, 10:30 a.m. Dec. 5, 12, 19. Ages 2-6 with caregiver. Cost is $5/class.
Upper St. Clair
• Scrapbooking, 10 a.m. Nov. 30. Bring your supplies.
• Connecting with Archangel Gabriel presented by Sister Bernadette Manning, a Seton Hill Sister of Charity, 7 p.m. Dec. 2.
Women’s Auxiliary at Canonsburg General Hospital will hold a holiday basket raffle Nov. 29 through 1 p.m. Dec. 12 in the main lobby. Purchase tickets 8 a.m.-4 p.m. daily and until 8 p.m. Dec. 2, 5 and 9.
Last year’s event raised more than $19,000 geared to the purchase of a digital mammography unit. For details, call 724-745-3914.
Owners of The Pilates Body and Moxie Mind & Body will host “A Movement of Movement” at The Pilates Body, McMurray, 2-4 p.m. Dec. 1. The documentary film is about the philosophy, lifestyle, movement and world of Pilates seen through the eyes of renowned Pilates instructors and everyday people. Open house and reception is from 1-6 p.m.
Presold tickets are $12 and $15 at the door. For details, call 724-941-2411.
Phipps Conservatory will hold its annual Gifts and Greens Market Dec. 5-7 at the Garden Center in Mellon Park. Hours are 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Thursday and Friday and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday.
Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services in the South Hills will host a holiday breakfast at 9:45 a.m. Dec. 6 at the Crowne Plaza on Fort Couch Road, Bethel Park. Proceeds will benefit Make-A-Wish, granting wishes to children with life-threatening medical conditions. Tickets are $20. Call Judy Hlister at 412-833-5405 ext. 254 for reservations.
Christmas at the Village
Christmas at the Village of Venetia will begin at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 6 at the Venetia Community Center. Festivities include lighting of the tree, Country Christmas Carols by The Ramblers, Edwards Chapel Children’s Choir, Embody Dance Studio presentation, opening of the DARE Model Railroad Club display and refreshments around the campfire.
Phipps Conservatory will host the following festive events: Santa visits Nov. 29-Dec. 22; candlelight evenings Nov. 29-Jan. 5; Brunch in Bloom Dec. 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 and Jan. 5; and Holiday Tea Dec. 6-7. For details, visit phipps.conservatory.org.
Health for Her
Jefferson Hospital will hold a program on Healthy Skin: How to Get It and Protect It on Dec. 9. To register, call 412-469-7100.
The annual Jefferson Hospital Gala is set for Jan. 25 at Heinz Field.
Allegheny County Health Department will offer the shingles vaccine free of charge to ages 50 and older who have no insurance to cover the vaccine. Vaccine will be available while supplies last at the vaccination clinic on Forbes Avenue, Oakland. The clinic is open 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and 1-8 p.m. Wednesdays. Call 412-578-8062 for availability of vaccine.
Monongahela Valley Hospital sponsors the following programs:
• Causes and treatments of carpal tunnel syndrome will be discussed, 6 p.m. Dec. 2, ECC. Call 724-258-1333.
• Bone Density Screening, 1-3 p.m. Dec. 4, Healthy Directions, Finleyville Giant Eagle. Call 724-348-6699.
• Holiday Cookie Tray Sale, 10 a.m. Dec. 6 in the hospital’s lobby. Call 724-258-1167.
Wheeling Civic Garden Center, Oglebay Park, will sponsor a fresh greens arrangement and wreaths workshop at 10:30 a.m. Dec. 12. Adorn with bows, berries, candles, birds and other accessories. Cost is $25/members and $28/nonmembers. Paid reservations must be received by Dec. 2. Materials cost will be extra. For details, call 304-242-0665.
Learn about wines
Dreadnought Wines in the Strip District plans the following classes:
• Saturday Sipper, 2 p.m. Nov. 30. Taste and discuss four wines plus taste cheeses from Dear Heart. Cost is $15.
• Wine & Wiener, 7 p.m. Dec. 4 at Franktuary in Lawrenceville. Enjoy three wines and a frank of your choice. Cost is $12.
• Spirits of Christmas, 6 p.m. Dec. 5. Premium wines and spirits. Cost is $45, redeemable against wine orders of $200 or more.
To register, call 412-391-1709.