Getting Together – Dec. 4
South Hills College Club will hold its Christmas luncheon Dec. 7 at St. Clair Country Club. Social hour begins at 11:30 a.m.; lunch served at 12:15 p.m. Center for Theatre Arts Touring Company will present “Winter Wonderland.”
Upper St. Clair Coterie will hold its holiday luncheon at noon Dec. 15 at LeMont. RSVP to 724-941-2531.
South Hills Aglow will meet at 7 p.m. Dec. 16 at South Hills Assembly, Bethel Park. The Rev. Michael Yuricha, pastor at Judah Ministries International Worship Center and vocalist Darla Yuricha will be guest speakers. A minimal room fee will be charged.
• Holiday Tea, 11 a.m. Dec. 13. Cost is $5.
• Holiday Open House, 1-3 p.m. Dec. 14. Refreshments, ornament making and holiday performance by the drama club. Register for winter reading “Reading is Magic.” Read in January and enjoy a magic show on Jan. 31.
• Homemade Christmas, grades five and up, 7 p.m. Dec. 16. Make a gift, card and wrapping paper.
• American Girl Book Club, girls in second-fifth grades, 6:30 p.m. Dec. 5.
• Babies & Books, 11 a.m. Dec. 6. Stories, songs, finger plays.
• Holiday Glam with Diane from Mary Kay Cosmetics, 10 a.m. Dec. 7. New lip color and skin care products. Refreshments.
Nemacolin Castle Trip, 4 p.m. Dec. 15. $25 for transportation and admission.
• Photography and camera group is forming. Gather at 6 p.m. Dec. 4. All skills.
• Dino World, third-fifth grades, 4:30 p.m. Mondays. Create a prehistoric scene with volcano, plants and dinosaurs.
• Children can create a greeting card for a nursing home resident. Pages are available at the library.
• Photography workshop for grades four-six, 7 p.m. Dec. 9 and 16. Learn tips and tricks. Create a collage. Bring a digital camera. Supplies provided.
• Lebo Nerdfighters, 3:15 p.m. Dec. 13. Discussion of mature teen literature.
• How the Grinch Stole Christimas with South Hills Brass, 1:30 p.m. Dec. 15.
• Civil War Era/Geographic Focus, led by Rodger Duffy, 10 a.m. Dec. 16.
• Reader’s Theater, 2 p.m. Dec. 17.
• Sapori D’Italia: Flavors of old and new world Italy with Dr. H. J. Manzari-W&J College, 7 p.m. Dec. 10.
• Family Ornament Night, all ages, 6:30 p.m. Dec. 12.
• Ugly Christmas Sweater Week, Dec. 16-20, all ages. Wear your ugly sweater for a photo at the library. Contest winners announced Dec. 21.
• Scrabble Club, 2 p.m. Tuesdays. All skills.
• Preschool Story Time, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Tuesdays and 1 p.m. Wednesdays.
• Toddler Story Time, 10: 15 a.m. Mondays.
• Christmas Story Time, birth-3 years old, 10:30 a.m. Dec. 10, 11, 17, 18.
• eReader Drop-in Help Session, 6-7:30 p.m. Dec. 11. Support available for Kindles, Nooks, iPads or other mobile device.
Upper St. Clair
• Evening of Music and Conversation with Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra violinist Ellen Chen-Livingston and assistant conductor Fawzi Haimor, 7 p.m. Dec. 16.
Temple Emanuel Early Childhood Development Center, Mt. Lebanon, will begin a new program called Let’s Explore in January. This 10-session enrichment program is offered Monday and Wednesday afternoons or Tuesday and Thursday mornings. It combines art, drama, dance, poetry, literature, music, math and science. Topics include Colors of the Rainbow, Wind and Weather and Our Garden.
For details, call 412-279-7687.
Domestic Violence Services offers empowerment counseling. One-on-one counseling, information and referrals and general/legal advocacy is available. For details, call 724-223-9190.
Washington Symphony will present its Christmas concert at 8 p.m. Dec. 7 and 3 p.m. Dec. 8 at Trinity High School. The Washington County All-Star Choir and high school students from Peters Township High School will also be featured.
Order online at www.washsym.org. Individual tickets are available at Peters Township Public Library.
Pittsburgh Glass Center will hold its annual glass sale Dec. 6-8. Make your own blown glass ornament 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 7. Cost is $35. Make a fused glass ornament for $25. Walk-ins welcome.
The South Hills Children’s Choir will hold its inaugural concert at 7 p.m. Dec. 6 at View Crest Presbyterian Church, Eighty Four. The choir will perform pieces from all over the world to ring in the holiday season.
Tickets are $5 at the door. For more information, call 724-949-0048.
Slovak Folk Crafts, Grove City, will hold its Christmas open house 9 a.m.-6 p.m. through Dec. 7. Choose from ornaments, nativities, nesting dolls, Fair-Trade items and Polish pottery. Visit slovakfolkcrafts.com for details.
South Arts and the Heritage Box will hold its annual Merry Merry Art Market art and craft sale and fundraiser 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Dec. 14 at the Schoolhouse Art Center, Bethel Park. Choose from original paintings by local artists, handmade knitted and jewelry items, stained glass, carved wooden items, handpainted ornaments and small antiques.
A holiday dinner will be available 4-8 p.m. for adults and $7 for children. For details, call Sally Cordis at 412-831-8156.
South Park Library and Heritage Players will present A Tuna Christmas Dec. 14 at Broughton Vol. Fire Hall. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Adults only. Tickets are $30. Play, turkey dinner and beverage included. For details, call 412-833-5585.
Bethel Park Communtiy Foundation will hold its holiday concert at 3 p.m. Dec. 15 at the Bethel Park Community Center. The program will include the Community Band South, Bethel Park High School Top 21 and handbell ringers of Southminster Presbyterian Church. Admission is free.
Jingle Bell Run
Arthritis Foundation will host the Jingle Bell Run/Walk festivities at 7:30 a.m. Dec. 7. The 5K begins at 10 a.m. Dr. Freddie Fu will be recognized as this year’s medical honoree. For details, call 412-250-3340.
Victorian House Tour
Allegheny West Civic Council will hold its 32nd Annual Old Allegheny Victorian Christmas House Tour Dec. 13 and 14. Visit restored Victorian homes plus the historic Calvary U.M. Church and one of the world’s largest toy train museums.
Tours begin every 12 minutes from 5-8 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday.
Tickets for the regular tour are $25 and $10 for the train exhibit.
For reservations, call 412-323-8884.
Sounds of Pittsburgh Chorus will hold its Christmas show Dec. 14 at Sewickley Academy. Ladies who love to sing are invited to join in to sing three familiar carols. Rehearsals for the performance and for the quartet “The Hot Air Buffoons” are at 7 p.m. Mondays at the Coraopolis U.M. Church. For details, call 412-279-6062.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following:
• Barbecue by Fourth Street Barbeque, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Dec. 13, main lobby. Proceeds will enhance services for patients and visitors. Call 724-258-1167.
• Jewelry Sale, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 16-17, ECC.
McMurray Art League lists a roster of classes on its website, www.mcmurrayartleague.org. January sessions include watercolor figures with Jeannie McGuire, 10 a.m. Jan. 21, 22.
For details, call Ginnie Swartz at 412-835-8081.
Getting Together – Dec. 4
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Alavi leads PT into PIHL semifinals (42)
Poprik – Capelli (36)
Colella appointed to fill vacant BP council seat (21)
Siak, Worcester lead BP into PIHL semifinals (20)
Bower Hill VFD celebrates 90th anniversary (18)
Siak, Worcester lead BP into PIHL semifinals (133)
Alavi leads PT into PIHL semifinals (19)
Ballroom dancing not the answer (1)
PSU students still battle shadow of Sandusky’s actions (1)
Colella appointed to fill vacant BP council seat (1)